PDA

View Full Version : Need a new PC - what are the sys reqs now?

backseatgunner
07-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi folks,

been grounded for ages, but want (need) to get back into Il-2. My PC is currently a doorstop, so I need a new system, and I'd like to optimize for IL-2.

What are he system requirements now, and what do people recomend for improved performance? In particular, what grahics cards should I consider?

and one last question: Can I get this game to run under Linux?

backseatgunner
07-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi folks,

been grounded for ages, but want (need) to get back into Il-2. My PC is currently a doorstop, so I need a new system, and I'd like to optimize for IL-2.

What are he system requirements now, and what do people recomend for improved performance? In particular, what grahics cards should I consider?

and one last question: Can I get this game to run under Linux?

Jaws2002
07-11-2007, 11:55 AM
If you plan to get/build a new system now you better make it future proof.

If it plays IL-2 good it doesn't mean it will run todays newer games good. IL-2 is on the way out with new games taking it's place in the next six to ten months.
You better don't build for Il-2 only.

I would sugest at least dual core Intel Core 2 Duo. Quad core would be better. (The Q6600 is not that expensive).
You should get a DirectX10 graphics card.Nvidia 8800 series or Radeon HD 2900.

I don't think you can run Il-2 on Linux.

backseatgunner
07-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, future proofing is an important concept. Did as much with my last machine and got good service out of it.

Will go check out prices tomorrow. Cheers.

(Looking forward to flying an IL-2 again)

Zoom2136
07-11-2007, 12:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backseatgunner:
Hi folks,

and one last question: Can I get this game to run under Linux? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Presently intels on top... who knows in a few months... so for now...

Chipset... either P35 or 680/650i
(these are compatible with a 1333 FSB) the 680i is SLI and 650 is not...

Graphic card... well this one is tricky as new hardware is supposed to be just around the corner... said hardware is supposed to blow the 8800GTX or 2900XT out of the water... so I would go with ever "bare minimum" you can live with.... a X1950Pro or 7900GS (about $140) could do the trick

CPU... intel's E6600 core duo... great value and great overclocker... You can use the stock cooler for a slight overclock... guys overclock their E6600 to 3,2 on air... (with a better cooler though)

RAM... 2 gigs... your choice... just get good value RAM and you are set.. about $200...

Hard drive... get a pair of SATA 250 GIG for about $65 each...

Optical drive... a DVD for about $35

Case $100-200

PSU... for a value system... Ultra X-Finity 600 sli... (its the only good one in there lineup except for the X3) about $70

Thats about it.... for a "futur" proof computer...