PDA

View Full Version : 100%'ers: You Have My Respect

WernherVonTrapp
05-31-2010, 04:22 AM
I'm currently running RFB 2.0 with RSRDC and related patch. It's November of 1942 and I have no contact updates (not by choice) and no sonar lines. I don't know if this is a result of early-war equipment or just how RSRDC is modeled but, it is severely taxing my navigation skills to the limits. I find it significantly harder to tell what direction the shipping is headed and all range values are out the window until I make visual contact. I may as well have checked off "No Map Contact Updates" and gotten my Realism values more appropriately changed from 75% to over 80%.
Sure, RSRDC does cut down (abundantly) on merchant shipping and convoys, and don't even get me started on enemy air contacts. My tonnage scores have dropped off to a fraction of their former values. I'm currently waiting in the Slot for a shot at the Tokyo Express. My last encounter there ended up as a wild goose chase since they kept changing direction and their speed was just too fast to keep pace with. So, to you 100%ers: Gentlemen, I salute you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

kikanjuu
05-31-2010, 04:57 AM
Your grandfather experienced the real "100% realism", right?
Salute him.

LouLewis1967
06-01-2010, 07:36 AM
With just sonar it's tough to develop contacts, but it's part of the fun for me. I end up with a LOT of lines on my map, but it usually gets me into position before I ever see the ships. It takes some guess work, and I've also become less bashful about pinging contacts at long range (15-18K yards for example) Just two well-timed distance confirmations can make a world of difference. Once I got SJ radar, it was a cake walk.

I've been reading up on bearing rate change and other sonar-only plotting methods, but I'm not sure that is possible in the game. I don't quite understand all the figuring yet.

MWolfe1963
06-01-2010, 10:27 AM
I think RFB tried to find a balance. It takes getting use to as with TMO you get no info. It really helps when you get radar as you can't ping warships. I'm hoping the radar mod will get fixed to include 5 workable digits for range.

I wouldn't say contacts off is realistic as you don't have a crew giving you proper info. Realistically they had a working radar that gave them all the info needed, ours is very limited. Still by taking constant bearing and ranges you can get the general direction. At first contact I dead stop and with sonar or radar get the general direction, then head that way, then I'll start plotting course by radar.

I'm much better now, but in the beginning I was often too far away or too close. Still, I alternate as it takes so long to play that way.

buddha231974
06-19-2010, 08:32 PM
My hats off to those who do it in the game, but more importantly the deepest respect to those who had or is - doing it in real life.