PDA

View Full Version : Coop Missions for 2 on a LAN?

panthercules
02-23-2005, 10:34 PM
I'm looking to wean my son off of flying X-Wings and get him hooked on FB/AEP/PF, and I want to set up some missions so he and I can fly together on 2 PCs in the same room on our home network, just us against the AI at least to start - first I want him to fly as my rear gunner in Stukas, SBDs, IL-2s, etc if possible, and then graduate to flying together as a leader/wingman pair. Eventually, I'd like to be able to venture online as a team, if there aren't any insurmountable issues with both players getting out through the same router/firewall or whatever, but for right now I just want to team up with him against the AI.

All the coop missions I saw when I was playing around with the multiplayer settings in game seemed to be for large numbers of human players, and only one of those seemed to mention anything about maybe having some AI opponents.

Is it possible to fly together in this fashion? If so, will I have to create my own coop missions in the FMB or does anybody know if there are any such missions ready-made for download out there somewhere? I played around with the FMB a bit a couple of years ago, and it was kinda fun to make the missions but wasn't that much fun flying them 'cause I pretty much knew what was gonna happen since I designed the things, so I'm hoping to find ready made ones by others if possible (I like surprises http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

Spectre-63
02-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Panthercules -

best source I know for online multiplayer campaigning (which, from the sounds of things, is your goal) is DCG. Quick, painless creation of a long term campaign and it allows you the flexibility to adjust difficulty on the fly. I highly recommend it!

Bearcat99
02-23-2005, 11:01 PM
I do it with my son.. he is 7. We just take up two slots and let the AI do the rest. I threw togwether a quick coop just for us.. he has fun. We even get on comms.

Tully__
02-24-2005, 02:36 AM
In coops, any player flyable aircraft not occupied by humans will be flown by the host computer as AI. As long as the host machine can handle the mission size, ignore the number of places available for humans.

When you graduate to the two of you on the internet, you'll need to change the localPort setting for one machine only from 21000 to 21001. You'll find this setting in the [NET] section of the conf.ini file in your game directory. If you use HyperLobby you'll also need to change the same setting on the same machine in the hlpro.ini file in the Hyperlobby client directory. In that file it appears three times, once for the IL2 Sturmovik room, once for the Forgotten Battles room and once for the new Pacific Fighters room. You need only change it for the room you fly from.

panthercules
02-24-2005, 06:15 AM
Cool - thanks folks - can't wait to give it a try and see if I can make some of the stock coop missions work then.

I am a bit confused though about the comment below:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spectre-63:
Panthercules -

best source I know for online multiplayer campaigning (which, from the sounds of things, is your goal) is DCG. Quick, painless creation of a long term campaign and it allows you the flexibility to adjust difficulty on the fly. I highly recommend it! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm really looking for offline , not online, multiplayer campaigning. Will DCG work for that too? I've used DCG off and on over the last few years, but never thought about whether it would generate campaigns we both could fly in - I think I still have it loaded up on my Win98SE instance - guess I'll go take a look at it and see what happens.

Thanks again for the quick and informative responses.

Troll2k
02-24-2005, 04:19 PM
The main PF page has a missions section.I believe there are some missions there for d/l.Also try airwarfare and netwings.

Slick750
02-24-2005, 04:20 PM
The online campaign is fun on LAN.

jarvo99
02-25-2005, 10:33 AM
If you like , you could come up with a seniro and i could design a mission for you. I make them for fun, so i have a bunch if you like to try one just say the word and i'll send one to ya. I also made some historical missions such as Yamamoto Intercept and The Doolittle Raid. Well good flying m8,cheers!

Hawggy
02-25-2005, 06:50 PM
So, uhhh - what you got against flyin' X-Wing's? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tully__
02-26-2005, 02:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by panthercules:
...I'm really looking for offline , not online, multiplayer campaigning... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no difference between LAN and internet multiplayer, DCG will work for both. The mission design and folder structure is the same for both.