PDA

View Full Version : Cannot start MYST 5

Codeguruxx
10-14-2005, 02:38 PM
I have the CD in the drive and everything installed. When I hit play I get a message of:

"The MSVCRT.DLL file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:RtlGetNtVersionNumbers."

My system specs are:

Win98 SE
Pentium4 2.4ghz
1024mb DDR RAM
Audigy Sound Card
Gefore4 ti4200 128mb DDR RAM

Mr Zebe D
10-14-2005, 04:14 PM
My box says Windows 2000 / XP only. Is yours different?

Codeguruxx
10-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Heh, lovely. I waste 60 bucks blindly out of respect and they do this. Guess I learned my lesson...

Codeguru

PS- Anyone looking to buy 3 mini frisbees or coffie coasters?...

Mr Zebe D
10-15-2005, 03:58 AM
How about upgrading to XP Professional? Dual-boot machine perhaps?

Heimdall_G
10-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Codeguruxx,

Be aware that Myst V will run under Win 98SE. For details, see Myst V: System Requirements and Posting Guidelines (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3471054943/m/4941067943), one of the stickied topics at the top of this Forum. I've successfully completed the game - twice - on my Win 98SE machine!

If you didn't install EoA from a clean boot, try it.
-- a. Boot into normal Windows.
-- b. Uninstall EoA using Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs.
----- 1. Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
----- 2. Look in the programs list for "Myst V End of Ages" and click on the listing to highlight it.
----- 3. Click on Add/Remove and follow the prompts.
-- c. Use Windows Explorer to delete *all* remaining Program Files EoA files and folders, if any. Look for C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Cyan Worlds\Myst V End Of Ages and delete \Myst V End Of Ages.
-- d. Reboot.
-- e. Use Windows Explorer to search your C: drive for \temp and \tmp folders (click on Tools > Find > Files or Folders). Delete any files in these folders that aren't currently in use. Windows will complain if you try to delete anything that's in use.
-- f. Close all background applications and processes *EXCEPT FOR* Explorer and Systray.
----- 1. While holding down the Ctrl and Alt keys, press the Del key ONCE (twice reboots) to bring up the Close Program list.
----- 2. One at a time, click on an entry to highlight it, then click on End Task. Wait for the confirmation pop-up, and confirm that you want to close the process. (This may take about 10 seconds.) If the pop-up doesn't appear, the process may have been closed directly.
----- 3. Do Ctrl-Alt-Del, etc., as many times as it takes to close all of the applications and processes *EXCEPT FOR* Explorer and Systray.
-- g. Install EoA, accepting the install defaults.
-- h. Reboot.
-- i. Play EoA.

Especially if you've got only a software firewall, close your Internet connection before doing step f. An active Internet connection with no firewall is an open invitation to hackers!

Mr Zebe D
10-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Codeguruxx, I was going to apologise and quote from Heimdall's sticky which I hadn't read.

I don't have to quote from the sticky but I do apologise for my erroneous information.

Codeguruxx
10-18-2005, 07:54 PM
Well thanks for the info and to answer your question XP costs money, and it's not worth money...

Codeguru

neo...1
10-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Sorry about your misfortune & now to butt in...I do like to play frisbee & could use some stylish new coasters!

Just kidding...if you want to try & regain some money immediately...try eBay out. Or hold on to your Limited Edition until someone posts a thread asking for the Collector's edition. It's not too far-fetched to expect this to happen.

I would have to say even though you didn't ask...on a final note... that having XP for your computer is worth more than having MYST V.
But that's just me...

Codeguruxx
10-18-2005, 08:47 PM
Sigh, well the demo runs. I uninstalled full version, re-installed on a clean boot and also installed the newest drivers for GeForce4 ti4200 which I didn't need to do to run the demo. In desperation I tried to install the 2000/XP nvidia drivers but it wouldn't let me. Did I miss something or was that all there is if I still get the error after re-installing?...

CodeguruX

Codeguruxx
10-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Ok, problem fixed, kinda. You delete the inferior msvcrt.dll's in the MYST V directories and it works. But now the game won't play cus my stupid CD drive seems to be crapping out on me, fun times...

Codeguru