PDA

View Full Version : How do all fly?

FE_pilot
02-11-2007, 01:57 AM
How do u fly offline, realistic, medium, or easy settings?

Im asking because i was flying in realistic settings in a p40m against ki-43's, it was a hassle just trying to find the ki-43's, managing to actually shoot one down seemed like impossible, but i managed to kill one. Ive only been playing il2 46 for about a month so maybe it was because im a noob still.

Akronnick
02-11-2007, 02:24 AM
I usually fly offline with externals on and custom Icons. I always fly with cockpit on (I don't even know if I have the command programmed) and since I have trackIR, I don't use padlock either. For campaigns, I leave the 'No Instant Success' option off. The only other thing I leave on is Speed Bar and the Mini-map path, because I don't want to deal with
Navigation.

SidCheshire
02-11-2007, 02:37 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Very similar to me

Makabi-
02-11-2007, 03:29 AM
I have all of the options on the first page enabled, and have externals, map icons, and map path enabled on the second page with everything else disabled.

Pig_Mac
02-11-2007, 03:32 AM
Same as Akronnick

DKoor
02-11-2007, 03:37 AM
"Realistic" settings.
I see you prefer it too, stick to it just make sure that you have good bandit tracking inside your cockpit - that is what is very important in cases when there's no icons.
And it's totally possible... you will learn to recognize friend from foe quite easily, there is always room or errors, but as a general rule you will be capable to do that on regular basis. Their movements is what gives them away mostly and when they're close zoom in to see the profile.

One other thing is also idicative; since you fly offline you'll fly in formation... when you see another formation (fighters) it is logical thing to assume that they're foes, especially if they are moving towards you. That depends on situation but you must be careful.

Click on my sig I have some good training clashes with Ai inside. Unfortunately I still haven't set up my thumbHAT view properly, so at times this may look very confusing.

MEGILE
02-11-2007, 04:29 AM
I used to fly Full real

however it now bores me to tears.. I've lost my taste for it

externals and short icons , ala UK Dedicated 2 at the moment http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SweetMonkeyLuv
02-11-2007, 08:11 AM
I marked "Custom". Basically, I'm full switch, minus...

1) Instant Success: As a campaigner, its often a requirement to turn this off. I still make a point to land after every mission, tho.

2) MiniMap path: I have & still do realistic navigation on occasion, but doing it all the time bores me to tears.

3) Icons: gotta leave these on.

If I'm doing a late-ish war campaign, I'll occasionally turn minimap icons on to simulate the effect of radar and ground control.

Chris0382
02-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Ive just turned on my cockpit, but use no spin, engine fire etc. Vun real fire is on.

I have to have icons on as I need to know the type of plane Im approaching,. The enemy planes are way out of proportion in the game (way too small).

SeaFireLIV
02-11-2007, 08:54 AM
I like all settings on except `Instant Mission` success` which isn`t realistic. I used to have map icons on, but with the Tower being quite accurate with bearings (at least offline) I fly without it now.

I also like `outside views`, but ONLY to look upon my plane on takeoff and landing. It`s nice to view your skins on preflight, but I never fly in outside or use to see where an enemy aircraft is. I stay solidly in the cockpit. If I need a screenshot of my plane then I`ll usually record the flight and get it in Replay mode.

LEBillfish
02-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Online is where I fly 99.5% of the time. Therefor, I fly however the server is set up from full switch to just slightly below yet always with self imposed restrictions as sadly the sim is not set up with a few key features.

The features the sim is lacking IMLTHO is;

1. F2/F6/F7 and their corresponding Shift+F2/F6/F7 switchable. As in I'd like to see these be able to be turned off by the server host......So, when flying a server with externals on (which I do often as post combat I like looking around) I simply don't use these keys.
2. "Players" map icon switchable. The little icon on the map showing your planes position. I'd like to see it be able to be turned off so I could still se my flight plan, yet have to navigate using landmarks. So, I tend to turn the map on and off rather quickly trying to ignore it best I can.

I try to never fly a server with Wonder woman view, or the little red and blue arrows, or all planes Icons on the map. In fact quite simply don't.

I also tend to turn plane icons off or in some cases if I know it will be too much of a disadvantage will reduce them to their minimal features.

What I do like however not having TIR is padlock on. Debate it all you want yet if you can't keep the plane in view padlock is lost quickly, plus you can't keep it on as S.A. goes out the window so I'm turning it on and off quickly..........and most deffinately prefer it without icons so you don't get that triangle.

So with a bit of settings and a whole lot of honor, think I've struck a good balance within the limitations the game has. The point for me is to keep it as realistic as possible without missing out on the awesome show.

The two features I not above if they would make switchable IMLTHO would dramatically alter the settings most play here.......As some who fly full switch would fly a softened server with them, and some who fly modest settings would step up.

Deedsundone
02-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Wildcat vs zero got some nice settings I look for in a server.

LStarosta
02-11-2007, 10:10 AM
I used to fly full real till my Track IR bit the dust. Now if I ever do go fly, it's usually on a UK Ded server.

BillyTheKid_22
02-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Normally and Cool!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Philipscdrw
02-11-2007, 11:14 AM
I fly campaigns full-real (but not very often) - printed maps are fun!

In the QMB I turn on externals and, sometimes, minimap path.

Online I can happily fly on full-switch servers but also enjoy partial icons and minimap path servers.

PBNA-Boosher
02-11-2007, 01:54 PM
The way I fly is mostly realistic. I leave the speedbar on because some gauges don't work and the directional gyro is sometimes not visible in certain aircraft. I also leave waypoints up on the map but not map icons. I have a very small deskspace and cannot be bothered with printing out maps and drawing in the waypoints myself. Apart from that, most everything else is set to realistic.

Except when I want to take screenies or am building things in the FMB.

Bearcat99
02-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Megile:
I used to fly Full real
externals and short icons , ala UK Dedicated 2 at the moment http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Although I never was a big FR fan.... offline I usually fly with either tight icons or no icons depending on my mood.. always in the pit and always with externals. IMO this sim is too good looking to not use externals.

WWSensei
02-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Full real isn't. I've flown "Full Real" as it gets and it isn't even close.

Cockpit is always on for me. I use limited range black icons of aircraft ID only. Adds a little visibility to the enemy aircraft when viewing in a monitor, but doesn't make them neon red/blue signs either.

I have externals on, but for post landing viewing of how my wingmen and stuff are doing. I use DCG so there is a lot more going on in the battle than just my little piece of it.

no map icons, WW2 didn't have GPS or AWACS. Hardly ever use in game map as I have an laminated map kneeboard so I can mark my waypoints ahead of time.

papotex
02-11-2007, 04:50 PM
externals ON
icons ON
minmap path ON
minmap icons ON
realistic fuel and ammo
I use the cockpit on all the time but i maped the no cockpit to a button on joystick for when
i got a bandit square on my sights and im gona take a shot

Xiolablu3
02-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile:
I used to fly Full real

Although I never was a big FR fan.... offline I usually fly with either tight icons or no icons depending on my mood.. always in the pit and always with externals. IMO this sim is too good looking to not use externals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Megile, Luke, what names do you fly under? I will look out for you and come for a game sometime. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif PM me if you want.

blakduk
02-11-2007, 07:41 PM
I voted 'custom'.
I have all the first page switched 'on'. On the second page i have
-the cockpit switchable (for those rare occassions when i get oil plastered all over my windscreen but can still struggle home)
- map icons on (I dont use them to check my six but i like to be able to find a fight in a hurry)
- minimap path on (i'm too lazy to navigate- i dont get enough game time to learn all the areas).
- icons on (to make up for the deficiencies of monitors vs RL)
- 'instant success' off (i often dont have time to waste flying all the way home)

The rest I leave at 'realistic' settings.

Whatever you're comfortable with is what's best. This is a game, not an exam.
I like to master the controls and push the envelope for each plane without worrying too much about the real world constraints such as navigation, target ID etc.

Ken_Det
02-11-2007, 08:23 PM
All swiches on but 3.
Complex eng/no ext. views/cockpit allways on.
Got to have the eye candy for screen shots.

TopGunBkk
02-12-2007, 01:46 AM
www.aeros.com (http://www.aeros.com) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
easy settings u last longer in air have longer dogfights not dead in 3 secs so stupid
I rather have a longer dogfight

general_kalle
02-12-2007, 07:29 AM
Medium plus sperate engine start.

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-12-2007, 07:41 AM
I fly offline to run tests and watch ntrks.

I ran through the whole offline campaign for both sides for all the iterations from IL2 original through AEP. Since then, My flying time has been online exclusively with the aforementioned exceptions.

TB

han freak solo
02-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Custom

I turn off no instant success,

leave external views available,

may use minimap path,

and leave on icons but not map icons.

Everything else is set to realistic settings.

BrotherVoodoo
02-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Like Akronic and Bearcat, Pit on, External on, tight icons, no padlock.

MrMojok
02-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by han freak solo:
Custom

I turn off no instant success,

leave external views available,

may use minimap path,

and leave on icons but not map icons.

Everything else is set to realistic settings.

Same as Solo.

For the first six months I had the game, when I flew downloaded campaigns, I played with cockpit off, blackout/redout off, sometimes burnout off, stalls and spins off, and realistic gunnery off.

Talk about crippling yourself. It took me about a year to learn how to even fly the plane the right way when I stopped using those.

crazyivan1970
02-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Always cracks me up when i see poll results vs what i see in HL http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

han freak solo
02-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by TopGunBkk:
www.aeros.com (http://www.aeros.com) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

The bomber's back indeed. I haven't seen them play in years. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

tagTaken2
02-13-2007, 01:23 AM
Only offline, Custom.

First page all ticked, except engine overheat.

Externals on, but only to admire stuff, not for SA (have tir).

Icons on (immersion killer, but at 1400*1050, can't see anything).

Instant success on! (My team mates aren't that bright)

All onscreen text is off, except compass heading, which I can't get rid of. As flight leader, I can ignore most of the comments I don't understand, and almost all gauges work.

I went through a brief phase of full switch, but in the end, the AI cheats, and real life has too many cues we lack in FB. I expect BoB will fill more of the obvious gaps, ie 6dof, ability to hide in clouds etc.

waffen-79
02-13-2007, 05:53 AM
All switches ON except for Externals

YES I'd like to see my own planes flying, since I custom skin all the rides I use I'd like to see them in action while I'm flying

NO I don't have time to fly "full real" and record my tracks so I can see them later

Dash_8
02-13-2007, 08:10 AM
I like the settings of UK Dedicated 2 server. I need to have the padlock on since I don't have TrackIR. I've tried to use the mouse and hat to keep an enemy in sight, but never was coordinated enough to do that and fly.

I totally agree with LEBillfish about the F6,F7 external padlock thing. I like externals on to look around at other things going on in the server between flights, but I hate the abillity to use F6 to see and ID distant aircraft. I wish externals could be on, but disable external padlock.

Rammjaeger
02-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Custom:
No Icons OFF (otherwise identification of other aircraft is rather difficult, especially on a 1024 x 768 monitor)

No Instant Success OFF (unless when flying a DGen campaign)

No Speed Bar OFF (unless flying German/British/American planes where I can properly read the gauges, unlike in Japanese and Russian planes where I cannot read anything and speed in measured in 'knots' and whatever)

No Minimap Path OFF (gotta have a way to navigate; I turn it off unless starting a campaign at low rank in which I can simply follow the other planes in my unit and thus not get lost)

slappedsilly
02-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Full real except outside views. The AI cheats and can see me no matter what. I like no icons, its fun to loose your enemies and have to find them again.