PDA

View Full Version : Vista-v-46

J.M.LLOYD
10-29-2007, 03:37 PM
I understand that there are problems when installing 46 onto a computer that has Vista installed? [ select own folder and don't allow 46 to default to system programs ]but what happens if you already have 46 installed on your hard drive and install Vista over an excisting XP o/system?..J.Morgan.Lloyd

VW-IceFire
10-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Installing any OS over another other OS is usually a nightmare and when its not its still usually an unpleasant experience. If it works at all and it works well then its not likely to be an issue except that you really SHOULD move IL-2 1946 to another install directory. IL-2 1946 only has one Reg key (as I can remember) and its related to uninstall information only so its not a big deal

J.M.LLOYD
10-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks Icefire, I suppose it's no big deal to reinstall 46 onto a new install of Vista, I shall keep your comments in mind...Cheers

VW-IceFire
10-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Yep its not too big of a big deal...just keep it away from C:\Program Files and you'll be fine. IL-2 isn't Vista "aware" so it likes to have access to the config files and Vista by default runs one step down from administrator at all times and then on top of that locks down the files in Program Files. This really is a generally smart security move/usability move but with years of piss poor security on all Windows platforms the change over is going to be painful.

As I mentioned in another thread...although locking down Program Files is a bit of a pain for old software like this it makes life allot easier for everyone else in general. I don't know how many times people have gone in against my advice and started deleting random files from Program Files (and then they complain about how their computer never works). Vista basically stops these people from doing it outright and makes them click through a fair bit to get started.