PDA

View Full Version : Anyone able to skip bomb w/190?

sgilewicz
06-22-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm well into the old "Operation Barbarossa" campaign and tasked with anti-shipping missions. To put it mildly, the AA is knocking the snot out of me with any type of high level approach. I've tried skip bombing (approx. 30m alt., 250kph IAS, bomb release about 100m from target) but from my tracks the bomb is just dropping, going under and then exploding. No skip. Any tips?

sgilewicz
06-22-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm well into the old "Operation Barbarossa" campaign and tasked with anti-shipping missions. To put it mildly, the AA is knocking the snot out of me with any type of high level approach. I've tried skip bombing (approx. 30m alt., 250kph IAS, bomb release about 100m from target) but from my tracks the bomb is just dropping, going under and then exploding. No skip. Any tips?

JG53Frankyboy
06-22-2006, 11:39 AM
skip bombing is easy since 3.0 (PF release http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ).

with the posibility of using the bombdelay.
and sure it works with the Fw190.
you are flying not level enough, too low , too slow - dont know. i have never proplems with it.

mandrill7
06-22-2006, 11:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sgilewicz:
I'm well into the old "Operation Barbarossa" campaign and tasked with anti-shipping missions. To put it mildly, the AA is knocking the snot out of me with any type of high level approach. I've tried skip bombing (approx. 30m alt., 250kph IAS, bomb release about 100m from target) but from my tracks the bomb is just dropping, going under and then exploding. No skip. Any tips? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh-huh. You're way too slow. The idea is to get as much forward momentum for the bomb as you can. So try it again at 500 kph and see what happens.

tigertalon
06-22-2006, 11:50 AM
And try to get lower as well, as low as you can actually.

I set a delay to 1 or 2 secs, go as low as I can and as fast as I can, drop the bomb last moment before ship and pull back sharply on the stick. U can't miss this way.

Plus, if you are fast, you are in ships AAA field for a shorter period of time.

sgilewicz
06-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Wow that was quick! Thanks a bunch guys. The extra speed makes sense but also makes it a bit more....interesting? Can you say "almost kaikaze"? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Rebel_Yell_21
06-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Actually, if you are very fast and very low, you can skip the bomb in from quite far away and avoid some of the AAA.

justflyin
06-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Skip bombing is one of my favorite things to do in this game. I'll load up a Spitfire with a 500lb centerline and 2 - 250lbs on the wings and that usually equals two ships sunk. One with the 2 - 250s and one with the 500. I try to be going at least 500km/h upon release at approx. 10-20m off of the water.

Of course the battleships and carriers take more hits, but that's part of the fun, too. Following what the guys already posted, you should have no problem skip bombing in a FW. Just get faster.

One thing I used to do from inexperience when I started skip bombing, was actually pulling up too fast or coming in at too steep of an angle and skipping the bomb over the ship.

The other part of skip bombing I still fudge sometimes is when I'm making a dive-bombing run on an airfield and forget it's not water and the bomb skips when I don't want it to. This is usually a result of not having a steep enough angle to my dive and I come in too flat, skipping the bomb over and past my intended victim, ahem, target. lol

sgilewicz
06-22-2006, 12:39 PM
I was just on www.kensmen.com (http://www.kensmen.com) and the 5th AF over New Guinea used to release "60-100ft away from the target" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif. How close are you guys?

justflyin
06-22-2006, 12:44 PM
If you have enough speed, say 500km/h or better, you can skip it from 100m or so out from the ship and it will make several hops, just like a rock skipping off of the water.

Back in the day, it used to be that it just kept on skipping until it hit something, but nowadays, if you drop too early they skip and die before they reach the ship.

For that reason, I make it a point to drop them as close to the ship as possible, allowing myself just enough clearance to get over the ship on the pull-up. That way I'm sure they are going to hit.

One other thing to be aware of. If you are working on a carrier or battleship that will take several bombs or torpedoes to sink, the effects are cumulative. Meaning each damage inflicted will get added to the previous until the ship is sunk PROVIDING that your pilot does not get killed prior to the bombs or torpedoes actually hitting the target and detonating.

This is the way the game is coded. Any ordinance becomes null, if you die before it hits the intended target. You'll see an explosion, but it will have no effect towards damaging the target. Just an FYI for ya.

VW-IceFire
06-22-2006, 03:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sgilewicz:
I'm well into the old "Operation Barbarossa" campaign and tasked with anti-shipping missions. To put it mildly, the AA is knocking the snot out of me with any type of high level approach. I've tried skip bombing (approx. 30m alt., 250kph IAS, bomb release about 100m from target) but from my tracks the bomb is just dropping, going under and then exploding. No skip. Any tips? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Double your speed and you'll be fine. Skip bombing approaches are best done at full throttle , eyeball the target, drop the bomb and roll climb then immediately duck again to keep your speed on the other side.

Usually an arching trajectory towards the ship rather than straight on is the best to keep gunners off.