PDA

View Full Version : For Those Who Dis D2D

SODsniper
02-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Well, like it had been reported, the 5th time is the charm..

I installed x64 bit XP on my game machine yesterday. Turned out, I had to re-install BSM and VEGAS and then re-activate them.

The BSM re-activation went fine. Since it was my fifth time re-installing VEGAS, I had to get a new key... I got on the D2D Support page, posted my problem. Had a response from a live person within 20 mins and a new key within a few hours.

I plan on making all my game purchases thru D2D from now on..

BOTA-16
02-08-2007, 01:54 PM
I typically use D2D also as I can get new releases quicker because the stores here pretty much blow. And I have never had any issues with D2D. It makes it nice because if you play multiple games you don't have to keep changing discs or use a daemon to mount images.

Philipz
02-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Vegas was my first transaction on D2D and it went very well. I would definitely use them again.

Stalker1011
02-08-2007, 02:28 PM
I got royally screwed by Ubi on some D2D purchases. Beware buying separate titles that are compatible with each other in CD/DVD form. They may not work together from D2D and this will not be disclosed up front. Quoting myself from another thread:

...as long as you didn't buy the D2D versions of the IL-2 components. I purchased IL-2, the AEP expansion, and Pacific Fighters only to find out that they are all totally incompatible with each other and cannot be merged like the retail versions. Since most of the servers run the merged version, I was unable to join my teammates in MP (besides the fact that AEP, Aces Expansion Pack, is useless by itself and will not install over a D2D version of IL-2). When I complained to Ubi and asked for a refund so I could go buy the retail versions, guess what response I got? "Too bad, so sad. You downloaded them, you own them." Ubi found a way to screw people with that title too.

g2.xeno
02-08-2007, 02:29 PM
same here. I got my re-activation key within minutes. i too will be getting all my purchases for pc games from d2d.

Kevlar_Soul
02-08-2007, 03:40 PM
I haven't bought a game in the box in years, D2D is the best way to go.

bjmarler1
02-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Same with me. When I had to reload XP I got VERY prompt service from D2D.

However I need to pass on one caveat, (hope I spelled that right!). I have used D2D for many years, so I have learned a few things about their products. The biggest thing I can think of that you all may need to consider is this...

Depending on how the particular game is updated/patched, D2D downloads may not be able to use a new patch at all. I have had 2 games from D2D that they never did get a patch for after the game maker did release a patch. Also one of those 2 games there was an expansion pack released, but the D2D version of the game was incompatible.

So, just a word to the wise. Go to the D2D website and look at the "updates/patches" section and see what I mean. There is not that many patches listed.

Now for a game like Vegas, it's not a problem at all since the game patches itself. Unfortunately many of the D2D downloaded games are NOT compatible with the game companies patches. For some reason D2D has to get a special verson of the patch made for it to work with the original D2D download of the game.

One possible problem that I can see possibly happening is if an expansion pack is released, or extra maps, etc... Depending on how they are released by the original company they may or may not work with the D2D downloaded version.

However, I think as with Vegas, those days may be few and far behind us. At least I'm counting on it!!! (fingers crossed)

Zoot86
02-08-2007, 05:06 PM
I got graw from D2D. Worked flawlessly. Only problem was that the DL was sooo slow.

Jnathus
02-08-2007, 06:26 PM
I reactivated when I upgraded to Vista, but I did it a different way, and I didn't need their tech support at all. Let's just say I replaced the game's main exe.

KI.Canyon
02-08-2007, 06:34 PM
An EB, Gamestop, Hastings, and Walmart all within 20 minutes of my house. I'll stick to physical media (not bashing D2D, just personal preference to have a physical CD/box/users manual/etc).

g2.xeno
02-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by KI.Canyon:
An EB, Gamestop, Hastings, and Walmart all within 20 minutes of my house. I'll stick to physical media (not bashing D2D, just personal preference to have a physical CD/box/users manual/etc).

You are a Dying breed my friend. And so is that business model ...as far as PC games go.....and programs, CDs ...and soon DVDs.

some day our kids will laugh at us for having bought and owning physical media... much like 8-tracks.

ST.Joker
02-09-2007, 12:34 AM
I also purchased my via d2d. had no problems with download, and support worked out great when I reinstalled the game also. no complaints here.

pettyofficerj
02-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Stalker1011:
I got royally screwed by Ubi on some D2D purchases. Beware buying separate titles that are compatible with each other in CD/DVD form. They may not work together from D2D and this will not be disclosed up front. Quoting myself from another thread:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...as long as you didn't buy the D2D versions of the IL-2 components. I purchased IL-2, the AEP expansion, and Pacific Fighters only to find out that they are all totally incompatible with each other and cannot be merged like the retail versions. Since most of the servers run the merged version, I was unable to join my teammates in MP (besides the fact that AEP, Aces Expansion Pack, is useless by itself and will not install over a D2D version of IL-2). When I complained to Ubi and asked for a refund so I could go buy the retail versions, guess what response I got? "Too bad, so sad. You downloaded them, you own them." Ubi found a way to screw people with that title too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got screwed up the pipe also with respect to the whole IL2-Pacific fighters thing. If you bought them from the store on cd-dvd whatever, you had the option of applying a patch that pretty much combined them. Most people who have those titles did that, and played online with that specific patch. However, that same deal was not available for people who downloaded those games, and now you had to play with the select minority who downloaded those titles and were playing on the same version as you, not the combined version through patch for retail buyers.

Bollocks...

if you have a store nearby, just buy the d@mn game that way until D2D and those digital rights junkies get their **** together.

SODsniper
02-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by KI.Canyon:

I see your point... If I had your situation, I would probably go with a store purchase myself.

But I am 40 miles from any civilization so D2D is my best option..

bjmarler1
02-09-2007, 11:02 AM
...that specific patch. However, that same deal was not available for people who downloaded those games...

Yep, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about with D2D and patches/expansion packs...

Now to be fair, I don't consider this to be 100% D2D's fault. It seems to me to be a combination of blame between the original game manufacturer and D2D. Somewhere along the line, communication fails as to what patch/upgrade is needed to make the D2D version EXACTLY the same as the retail store cd/dvd version.

However, since D2D is selling their "unique" produce I do place the blame on them for not being quite as "up front" about this possible glitch as they should be. I understand that they may perhaps be left out in the cold by the manufacturer. But if they plan on advertising a "downloaded" product as the exact same as the "cd/dvd" version, then they have the responsibility to make sure you are getting EXACTLY that. To get a different product which the original game manufacturer may or may not support should be CLEARLY stated on those specific titles.

Thankfully VEGAS does not seem to have that problem since the game auto-updates itself from UBI. However, if any expansion packs or map packs are released, we may be totally hosed. It's just impossible to say what will happen with those situations until we get there. So, I'm remaining hopeful that those D2D horror stories are a thing of the past.