PDA

View Full Version : YP-80 Engine Help

Esel1964
08-19-2006, 07:54 PM
I've had PF since the first day it hit my town.The first day I tried the YP-80 about 5 times,and everytime I ended as a flying 'Zippo'-even w/o enemy action-so I ignored it for years.

I've been giving it a try lately and have some questions.
I've figured out to stay in the 75-80% throttle range(max. cruising);yet my d**ned engine just quits out of the blue/or catches on fire about 1/2 the time.
When it quits,I've been able to restart a few times,but not many.
Just had my first 'round trip' mission in an 80 w/ no engine probs,so I was feeling good,restarted-took off,flew a few kilometers and the engine quit-wouldn't restart.So my under the bridge victory roll was all for naught...I just ended up looking like an idiot to the AI 'ground observers'. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Seriously though,what am I doing wrong?

p1ngu666
08-19-2006, 10:12 PM
yeah it does cut out sometimes, no idea why or howto stop it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

bchivers3377
08-19-2006, 10:19 PM
I have the same problem unless I fly at 100% power. When mine does cut out I can't get it restarted, otherwise I love flying that plane.

slo_1_2_3
08-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Don't know if this helps but aparently certain manuvers like hammerhead stall and other slow speed things will kill it , and usually I can light up the engine again above 200mph so try that for restarting anyway, but I'm still not sure what causes the engine to poop out

VW-IceFire
08-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Two things will kill the P-80s engine in this game.

One is overuse of the throttle. Jet fighter throttles in this game need to be very gently ramped up in power. Going from 50 to 100 quickly should never be done. In the ME-262 it causes a fire. In the P-80 it causes a burnout at the engine quits.

Two is radical manuevering while at slow speeds. Try and keep your speed high and air flowing through the intakes. High angles of attack should be avoided as it cuts the airflow and starves the engine of precious air.

I had troubles at first too...I started to notice the pattern and got used to it. I made a campaign with the P-80 called "The Shooting Stars". On my last playthrough I stalled the engine once.

Charos
08-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Probably related to compressor cavitation.

FritzGryphon
08-19-2006, 11:50 PM
I find if you have a throttle that jitters, and quickly jumps from 99%-100% at random, this will cause your engine to quit.

You have to make it stop jittering somehow, either by tweaking the curve or increasing the filtering.

NonWonderDog
08-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Ya know what, though? Compressor stalls in real life are often fatal to the engine. You just didn't DO hammerheads in early jets. The Me-262 captures this somewhat, but the P-80 is way too lenient. You can usually restart the engine after the most boneheaded maneuvers. It does stall pretty darn easily, though.

Just keep at it and learn what not to do. There are two things you absolutely must not do, though: do not move the throttle quickly, and do not stall in the verticle. What you're trying to avoid is an abrupt change in the pressure differential across the compressor blades. Change it too fast and you're liable to get air blowing out the FRONT of your jet engine... not good.