PDA

View Full Version : An X45 Question. Have any of you heard of this?

FlakMagnent
01-13-2005, 08:58 PM
I love my X45 but after a little use the joysitck starts squeeking. Its the little plastic peice under the spring. I am an Autobody Repair Tech. and I have tried all that I know to get the squeking to stop. Has anyone else out there found a fix to this annoying problem? It doesnt affect the performance but really gets on my nerves.
Thanks in advance

RACFrankenstein
01-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Have you tried rubbing candle wax under the ring? It worked for me. I understand beeswax candles are best.

SithSpeeder
01-13-2005, 09:46 PM
What he said....Yes, it's low tech. Yes, it seems silly. Yes, it should've been designed a bit better. But YES, IT WORKS!

I used an old birthday candle.

* _54th_Speeder *

Heavy_Weather
01-14-2005, 06:05 AM
yep, put wax on mine a year ago and the squeaks havent come back yet. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

LW_Icarus
01-14-2005, 06:42 AM
I hadnt thought about candle wax, what I was using was differential lube for R/C cars, the losi brand specifically, mostly because I have a surplus of the stuff.

it doesnt last years, but it does last months, and is completely plastic safe. I just use a super light film of the stuff.

But I may go get a beeswax candle if I need to get the 45 out of retirement. so far the X-52 hasnt shown that problem.

BelaLvgosi
01-14-2005, 07:12 AM
I use graphite dust to lube every moving part, from the inner shaft to the inverted cone. Lasts some months too.

Fehler
01-14-2005, 08:40 AM
Candle wax is da bomb!

I have been using it on mine for 3 years now.. works great!

Now if I can only get Baldie to make a diagram on how he shimmed the X45, I will be in heaven. Mine is starting to show some wear, and I have to keep adjusting a dead zone on it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

rijnton1944
01-14-2005, 11:43 AM
I already asked it in another thread, but didn't get a reply to it. Seeing this thread I would like to repeat:
Where do you have to put the candle wax and how do you reach that part ? Do I have to remove the rubber seal for that (looks difficult to get it back in place at first sight) ?

Fehler
01-15-2005, 01:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rijnton1944:
I already asked it in another thread, but didn't get a reply to it. Seeing this thread I would like to repeat:
Where do you have to put the candle wax and how do you reach that part ? Do I have to remove the rubber seal for that (looks difficult to get it back in place at first sight) ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, this is very simple. You rub the candle on the plastic cup. I thin layer does the trick. The squeaks and jerkiness comes from friction between the spring forced cup and the centering ring on the base. Removal of the rubber gromet is not recommended, and pretty unnecessary.

rijnton1944
01-15-2005, 05:13 AM
Oh I think I understand it now, but to be sure:
You mean the solid plastic part that is direct below the spring and that, for the biggest part, rests on the rubber grommet when in rest ?

Blottogg
01-15-2005, 06:32 AM
Another solution that someone else (not me) came up with was to put a disk of laminated cardboard (like a cereal box) between the cone and the centering ring on the base. Just cut a small hole in the center for the stick and a radial slot to pass the stick through. The only trick is to hold the cone clear of the ring while maneuvering the cardboard in place. This solution lasts for a month or two as well.

Lav69
01-15-2005, 07:27 AM
You can try the silly card board gadjets and what not, but like most are saying candlewax does the trick perfectly. Just rotate the stick and as the ring rises rub the wax underneath it. Depending on use you will have to do this occasionally. Also wax is the safest solution as it will damage nothing.

rijnton1944
01-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks. I put some wax on it in the meantime and indeed it goes much smoother now.

FlakMagnent
01-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Thanks guys!! I really tried everything from using my Paintball Marker Oil(Gold Seal of course) to Vasaline. I knew someone out there knew a good technique to fix this. Thanks again

FlakMagnent
01-15-2005, 04:32 PM
It seems mytrouble may lie within. I put the was on but all it did was make the stick move a little smoother but the squeek is still there. I opened up my base and saw little lube in there. I think I will try some white grease this time. any help on this one guys???