PDA

View Full Version : Ki's vs Corsair

BSS_Vidar
02-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Raising the Bravo Sierra flag!

In all my references, I can't find anywhere that the Ki-84's max speed is faster than 388mph.

In all my Corsair documentation, the F4U-1A's max speed is 417mph, and the F4U-1D's max speed with the newly boosted engine is 425mph.

Why is it that in a flat run at any altitude, the 84 outruns the Corsair D?

The closest the best version of the 61 gets is just under 50mph slower than the Corsair 1A. Yet in-game, I get drug halfway across the PTO AFTER diving in behind the 61 without closing on him.

The Zeke's diving capability... That needs to be fixed over everything else.

Rant secured. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

VW-IceFire
02-28-2007, 04:25 PM
10 pages, be sure! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The Ki-84, in-game, maxes out in the 428mph range or so. I believe there have been multipage arguments just about this. I think it comes down to being modeled without manufacturing difficulties...some Ki-84's were fast but the top speed varied from what I've seen indicated.

Not sure about the Ki-61...that plane is slow. No idea how its possible at all for one to drag you for any distance at all. The Corsair should, and in my experience, does have a significant speed advantage.

Bad day? Mechanics sleeping on the job? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

stansdds
03-01-2007, 04:16 AM
I think a real Ki-84, built to design specifications, using the proper materials, and fed quality oil and avgas would be a close match to the -1 series of Corsairs. Late in the war, the Japanese manufacturing quality became poor and the oil and avgas quality was equally poor, resulting in aircraft that did not live up to their potential.

JG52Karaya-X
03-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Another thing is that the Japanese tested their planes only at full military power (no WEP) so one has to keep that in mind as well, that 388mph value is for 100% without injection then.

VW-IceFire
03-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by JG52Karaya-X:
Another thing is that the Japanese tested their planes only at full military power (no WEP) so one has to keep that in mind as well, that 388mph value is for 100% without injection then.
Ahh good point...I had forgotten about that.

Vidar, I'd still love to know how a Ki-61 out ran you. Thats just funny http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BSS_Vidar
03-01-2007, 03:23 PM
I didn't know that about Japanese testing. thnx for the info.

As for the Ki-61, I remeber it vividly. It was in Zekes -n- Wildcats with the two island map with the small crescent island in the middle. I saw the Ki running for home just on my side of the cresent isl about 2000 ft above an dove in from behind. I never closed until he started making turns and slowed to prepare for landing.

ICDP
03-01-2007, 05:11 PM
I have flown the Ki61 a few times since 4.08 and it is still a slow fighter by 1943 standards. It is certainly not a match for the F4U. I am not claiming you are wrong in this case Vidar because I have been outrun by (on paper) slower planes on many occasions.

Is it possible this Ki61 was flying very fast after a very long shallow dive? I ask because I remember being accused of cheating after I caught a guy flying very fast at low level in his Me262 while I in a P38L. He was over 450mph and I caught him using a shallow dive from 3000m. I was at about 500mph with my P38 shaking when I caught him and could hardly aim due to my elevators being locked up. He didn't even know I was there until I shot out his left engine. Well the abuse was quite blue I can tell you, he swore that I was using a speed hack to catch him http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sorry for the boring story, just showing that all is not black and white in virtual air combat.

VW-IceFire
03-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by BSS_Vidar:
I didn't know that about Japanese testing. thnx for the info.

As for the Ki-61, I remeber it vividly. It was in Zekes -n- Wildcats with the two island map with the small crescent island in the middle. I saw the Ki running for home just on my side of the cresent isl about 2000 ft above an dove in from behind. I never closed until he started making turns and slowed to prepare for landing.
Sounds like the Ki-61 was in a shallow dive. They are quite fast in a shallow dive...and rightly so as the Ki-61 was one of the few Japanese planes that could dive equally well with most Allied types as its drag is quite low and its weight is much higher than the average Japanese fighter. You may not have noticed the dive at all but I can say for absolute certain that given level flight the Corsair is plenty faster. No problem.

VMF-214_HaVoK
03-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by JG52Karaya-X:

This is true.