PDA

View Full Version : Weekends Sport!

ytareh
08-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Well I started on Friday evening by knocking a capacitor off my ECS Extreme KV2 mobo and blowing a practically brand new Seasonic PSU to smithereens(well maybe it was just a fuse but man it was loud and tripped the circuit breaker!)
So I built up my brother a gaming pc with this spec
Opteron 144 at 2.5GHz
6600GT Gigabyte-horrible cooler
DFI Infinity-every bit as good as the Ultras!!!
Audigy 2ZS
2x512MB OCZ Platinum Rev2 (Ive ordered Samsung 2x1gigs for myself hope this will be better!!)

I was gutted to find I could get hardly no overclock and that the super NTune utility I was 2 hours into running was VERY bad news with DFI mobos...(I had to shut it down when I read that)

Then I discovered that I was not running the RAM in the right channels for dual function(manual was unclear) -so once I righted that I soon had 2.5GHZ up and running
AS I dont want to have to be travelling to his house fixing problems every week Im not gonna go any higher.
Ive had this baby running black death track for hours
Did a blow hole mod for a 120mm fan up front-keeps temps of card in the 70s at least!All others below mid 40s
Strangely COD2(his favourite) testing reveals that Direct X 7 mode has some finer details than DX9(Toujane map jeep speedometer and street signs illegible in DX9 -visible in DX7 -Go figure!!!

ytareh
08-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Well I started on Friday evening by knocking a capacitor off my ECS Extreme KV2 mobo and blowing a practically brand new Seasonic PSU to smithereens(well maybe it was just a fuse but man it was loud and tripped the circuit breaker!)
So I built up my brother a gaming pc with this spec
Opteron 144 at 2.5GHz
6600GT Gigabyte-horrible cooler
DFI Infinity-every bit as good as the Ultras!!!
Audigy 2ZS
2x512MB OCZ Platinum Rev2 (Ive ordered Samsung 2x1gigs for myself hope this will be better!!)

I was gutted to find I could get hardly no overclock and that the super NTune utility I was 2 hours into running was VERY bad news with DFI mobos...(I had to shut it down when I read that)

Then I discovered that I was not running the RAM in the right channels for dual function(manual was unclear) -so once I righted that I soon had 2.5GHZ up and running
AS I dont want to have to be travelling to his house fixing problems every week Im not gonna go any higher.
Ive had this baby running black death track for hours
Did a blow hole mod for a 120mm fan up front-keeps temps of card in the 70s at least!All others below mid 40s
Strangely COD2(his favourite) testing reveals that Direct X 7 mode has some finer details than DX9(Toujane map jeep speedometer and street signs illegible in DX9 -visible in DX7 -Go figure!!!

ytareh
08-07-2006, 12:01 PM
At 2.6 now and changed to "NGO" Nvidia graphics drivers(from Guru3d.com).Seem to have found at least an extra 10 fps in Black Death Track(actually may be as great as from 30fps to 46fps at X2Q/X2 AA/AF compared with 2.5GHz and latest stock drivers.Gobsmacked.Dont want to give bro the pc now!!!All this with a 6600GT and stock cooler on cpu/gpu!Temps are high 70s on gpu (slightly overclocked to 520/520 from 500/500-so far!)-rest including cpu diode dont go over mid 40s (C)
My X800XT PE system with 146 Opteron at 2.5 may not have been this fast-although I agree with Quazi that the ATi cards do have better image quality-but no doubting the green cards buck for buck are smoother....Imagine if I stuck a 6/7800 or 7900 in here!
Whats that 7900GT to GTX mod in plain english?Pencil line/resistor mod etc?