PDA

View Full Version : Defective early torpedos

promethius7
01-29-2006, 04:00 AM
At the start of the war there is a problem with dud torpedoes and magnetic detonators.

As I have just started playing at 100% realism I have discovered this to be a major problem. Either my torps bounce off the side of the target or, more frustratingly still, they explode a few hundred metres short. As in real life, I have took to running the torps at minimum depth and impact fuse.

My question is: Does anyone know at what date in the war this problem was considered to be cured? When I could be sure of my torps (at a less realistic setting) I could take out a C2 or C3 with one torp. Now I have to use multiple torps due to the reduced efficiency of having to have them surface run.

Thank you for any information.

Goose_Green
01-29-2006, 04:34 AM
I think the whole torpedo issue was solved sometime in 1942 with the introduction of the Pi2 pistol. Although German scientists involved with torpedo design and building knew there was a "problem" due to U-Boat skippers and Adm Doentiz having reporting such problems.

It wasn't until a certain skipper in 1941 or 42, his name eludes me, found out that the depth keeping gadget of the topedoes was being the main culprit, something to do with corrosion.

Therefore when a torpedo is set to a depth to explode beneath the target's keel being in fact greater than orginally set when the torpedo was fired due to the torpedo sinking lower than the intended depth, thus the torpedo passes freely under the keel due to being to deep for the magnetic pistol to fire.

In fact, there were so many torpedo failures early on in the war that many skippers were losing faith in the torpedo - the submarines most important and primary weapon.

AO1_AW_SW_USN
01-29-2006, 04:52 AM
Check this page from uboat.net. I believe that most of their research is fairly accurate:

http://uboat.net/history/torpedo_crisis.htm

Hope it provides the answers you seek.

Ghostly_Magicia
01-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Setting up mines eh? Well wonder how useful it would be in Silent Hunter 3 just laying them down near trafficed up areas. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

3.JG51_Molders
01-29-2006, 01:00 PM
I have been playing at 100% realism for a few months now, and it quite a different ball game from the 77% I came from. Here are a few tips that might help: Make sure your AOB is a good estimate (for example if your planning on approaching the ship infront and off its port side, set it the 90 degrees port). For range, try to approach the target with your bow pointing to it to avoid the periscope moving around (especially in heavy seas). If the range is off, the speed will come out messed up. (I once got 96kts on a Coastal merchant b/c of a range error lol). If the above two are good estimates, the speed should come out just fine. When this is all done, click the final checkmark to get a valid solution. Next I manually adjust the speed and depth of the torpedo (very handy for destroyers). This can all be done in less than a minute. As for the bouncing off the hull I have had my share of it, but its not happening as often. I would have to say the most annoying thing is when you torps miss the target by less than a metre or even less! I've had a handful of premature explosions of the torpedos, but its quite funny to see the ships do nothing, probably dazed by the water works http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. As for the C2, C3 Cargos, I find they take generally two torpedo hits in midships for them to go down, maybe even scoring one hit in the ammo hold. I've had one C3 cargo take as many as seven hits before going down. Hope this helps, the rest of the manual targetting info is in the tutorial in the game + lots and lots of practice.

Kaleun1961
01-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Bounces off of the hull are caused by setting the running depth too deep. The torpedo strikes the rounded underside of the hull and deflects without detonating. If you set your [impact] torpedoes a few metres shallower than the draft of the target you should be alright.

Silva_Bullet
01-30-2006, 06:33 AM
I don't use the 'dud' torpedo option... I figure my weapons officer picked up the problem and corrected it...
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif