PDA

View Full Version : O/T geek tools, leatherman vs gerber

stugumby
01-23-2006, 10:05 AM
well i finally got bold and sent in an ancient leatherman super and i was very happily suprised when they sent me a new super tool 2000. Finally a company that honors its commitments to the max. So my question is whats the best overall geek tool, the leatherman series or the gerber series???

I've acquired some of both over the yrears and have always craved a swiss champ pocket knife, dont know why, was never a boy scout... So i started looking into swiss army stuff and bammo the geek tool from hell is out there, just kinda pricey...

PF_Coastie
01-23-2006, 10:25 AM
I have had many different models of both being in the military at different units.

I believe the Leatherman supertool is the best. All stainless construction and very sturdy.

The black anodized ones of either brand are terrible and I have broken several of them during normal use.

I just have to say one thing though. Even though I do carry one of the Leatherman supertools. These type of tools should be used ONLY in emergencies. There is just no replacement for the actual tool made for the job.

For instance, at a previous unit, we would issue a tool bag to each person when they where qualified. This bag had every tool they would ever possibly need for fixing an Aid to Navigation Light. Nearly a thousand dollars of tools including top of the line multimeters. Nothing made me more angry as a supervisor seeing one of the guys reach for his Leatherman to tighten or loosen a 9/16th nut when he has several actual perfect fit tools in his bag right beside him.

My 2 cents worth.

xTHRUDx
01-25-2006, 10:32 AM
i work on film sets alot and hands down, the gerber is the tool of choice for that industry.

UncleReiben
01-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Leatherman

I had a Gerber pop a screw on the sliding plier part and it was a biotch to fix... never would happen to a Leatherman because of the simpler design.

han freak solo
01-26-2006, 06:50 PM
I've had a Leatherman for years. It's a great extra tool to keep in a motorcycle's tiny tool kit.

It definitely ain't a geek tool.

B16Enk
01-27-2006, 04:46 AM
I like the servicing/sharpening service that Leatherman tools have.

But as a long time Victorinox user (last one was a Swiss Champ that is 'retired' in a draw at home) I plumped for the SwissTool CS.
Used daily at work and around the house, have racked countless servers and routers/switches with it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jds1978
01-27-2006, 04:50 AM
Leatherman. Be sure

stugumby
01-27-2006, 08:07 AM
I'm a user of both over the years, being on tanks always required a geek tool to open turboshaft oil cans, cut commo wire, punch holes in ammo cans to make TRP etc. Right now im pondering acessories, i ordered a bit kit but the site dosnt say if its 1/4 inch or not, but im going to buy a surge anyway to get the latest and greatest. Seems leathermans product line is getting bigger, most of my stuff is in the retired tools section. bad part of my gerbers is that they are the older style that the blades didnt lock. But always carried in the shooting box.

Bought a gerber MPT many many years ago and its not seen in any catalog, gerber dosnt show their retired tools either. So trying to figure how to get rid of old outdated tools to get newer, better/ or at least lockable blade ones without loosing too much money.

BSS_Goat
01-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Leatherman!
I've been using them since '92 and had both Gerber and the Leatherman. The Gerber is broken and in the trash. The Leatherman in SS (not black) is the way to go.

Frankenstein000
01-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by xTHRUDx:
i work on film sets alot and hands down, the gerber is the tool of choice for that industry.

Another film geek eh? Set Dec/Onset Props here...http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Up here in the Great White North we tend to use the Leatherman more than the Gerber. I've owned both (as well as the Buck tool, which is pretty good too) but I keep going back to the Leatherman Wave. Now, if they'd only include a Robertson instead of a Philips head screwdriver....

xTHRUDx: What do you do in the industry?

MrQBerrt
01-27-2006, 09:53 AM
No one has yet extolled the many virtues of the Leatherman Crunch !!!???

The shortfall of the leatherman/gerber series is that you can't quite get a grip on many items. This is true of needle nose pliers in general. Well enter in the Crunch with it's vice grips.

I lost mine in my house somewhere a month or so ago and only now do I realize how much I actually used them.

stugumby
01-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Yes indeedy, but every time i saw a crunch i didnt jump on it, so it has got to be a buy it when you see it thing. Right now im in the middle of deciding between Surge/Wave 04 or Charge TI or Charge XTI. Surge is the bigger, tougher but charge has oodles of removable bits etc. Knowing my luck the bit kit i ordered wont interface with the tool adaptor ive had for years.
I have so much redundant stuff it aint even funny anymore, so im going to make a list and post at work and sell off cheap. If not its time to experiment on E bay.

TPN_Cephas
01-27-2006, 11:18 AM
GERBER

As a mechanic I have been using one of the Gerber multi-tools for over 5 years of constant use. It has held up very well, my only point of contention being the blade does not hold an edge as well as I would like.

I especially like the Gerber's one handed opening with the flip of the wrist as most of the time my other hand is holding something I would rather not let go of when I need the tool. Not all Gerber ar ebuilt like this one though, it is the type where the pliers slide down inside the handle rails and when extended to guide pins lock into place keeping it open. The hinge seems as strong as the day I bought it, and I have given it a fair amount of abuse.

I have yet to see a Leatherman that could be opened with one hand out of the pouch, but then again I am no expert on their products.

han freak solo
01-27-2006, 03:37 PM
http://www.gerber.com/content/usa/images/nav/logo.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
http://www.gerber.com/content/usa/images/nav/bot_line.gif

ATLAS_DEATH
01-28-2006, 06:52 AM
Leatherman for tools, Gerber for stand-alone knives.

Te_Vigo
01-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by xTHRUDx:

Such a small world, isn't it?

Rigging Electrics, on set

LD, Crew Chief in business theatre.

Leatherman is pretty cool, I run with the Charge XTI as the Gerber I used to run with after many years....somebody else felt they a more of a right to it that I did.
With the Gerber, I felt the non locking blade was a bit of a downer.
Offset and clambering around scaff or in booms rigging expo's, the leatherman is safe and unbeatable, especially with the removable lanyard attach ring.

As a bottle opener a Session Catch can't be beaten http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Onset, I don't think a stocked Rocket tool belt and pouch can be beaten.

sucker64
02-13-2006, 04:14 AM
Swisstool beats everything hands down

Beirut
02-13-2006, 04:23 AM
Swistool indeed! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

My woman gave me one back in 2001. I've been taking it to work ever since and it's holding up beautifully.

I use it to maintain the chainsaws, cut ropes, open cans of food for lunch, fix equipment, all sorts of things. It's very well built. Very solid.