PDA

View Full Version : CH Combatstick/Fighterstick Hats

linzamin
12-14-2005, 06:52 PM
I have a question for those of you that have used the Combatstick and/or Fighterstick in Pacific Fighters. What do you assign to the (2) 4-way hats on the Fighterstick? Is one of the hats used as a fire button? If I purchase the Combatstick, will I be at a disadvantage when playing PF? I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Combatstick or the Fighterstick. Money is not an issue. I'm just wondering if the Combatstick is easier to use and if the button/hat placement is more intuitive. I plan on buying the Pro Throttle also.

horseback
12-14-2005, 07:38 PM
I have the Combatstick with the Pro Pedals and Throttle, and I have about 34 buttons to work with, due to my TIR3 freeing up my POV hats.

Before the TIR3, though, I used the POV hat on the Pro Throttle for looking around, and the POV hat on the stick for elevator and rudder trim. I found that the hat at the top of the stick was a little hard to get at.

The Combatstick boasts one 4-way hat; I use that to Toggle FOV, Toggle Gunsight, Cockpit View (F1, which also releases you from Autopilot), and CTL-F1 (rarely used, except when running tracks these days). I use the #1, 2, and 3 buttons for weapons, and switch #4 (pinkie switch)& #5 around so that I can use the pinkie for radiator and #5 for Weapon 4 (bombs).

cheers

horseback

zoinksu52
12-14-2005, 09:14 PM
i just got all 3 like horseback. great setup.

chose the combatstick since i just want to fly prop sims. button 2 for a good cannon instead of the hat.

been playing with my settings but i'm liking this:

combat stick:
button 1 = fire
button 2 = cannon
button 3 = bombs
button 4 = dunno yet
button 5 = auto pilot
button 6 = chase view
4 way up = 7 = cockpit view F1
4 way down = 8 = toggle gunsight
4 way right = 9 = gunsight view
4 way left = 10 = normal view
pov hat = pov hat

throttle:

3 buttons:
aileron trim neutral
elevator trim neutral
rudder trim neutral

top 4 way up = elevator trim neg.
top 4 way down = elevator trim pos.
top 4 way right = aileron trim right
top 4 way left = aileron trim left

middle pov hat i changed to switch
middle up = flaps up
middle down = flaps down
middle right = rudder trim right
middle left = rudder trim left

bottom 4 way up = rise gear manually
bottom 4 way down = lower gear manually
bottom 4 way right = gear up/down
bottom 4 way left = airbrake

i used the mini joystick on the throttle for rudder till i made room for my pedals and it worked ok. i still have buttons to assign and since i'm new to the game and flying in general i'll learn as i go. the ch control manager is a bigger learning curve than i thought but i just changed button numbers as that is easier to understand. hope this gives you an idea of how little you have to touch the keyboard.

Markku38
12-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Hi!

I have Fighterstick + Pro Throttle + Pro Pedals and using profiles which Revvin made.
I'm offliner and usually Eastern front so I use those profiles

www.ch-hangar.com/forum/ (http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/)

linzamin
12-15-2005, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone using a Combatstick and no IR use the 8-way hat on the throttle for POV?

Ritter_Cuda
12-15-2005, 08:51 AM
the button placement is the same on the combat/fighter stick it just that the hats replace the buttons. so in my mine if you could hit the button on the combat stick you can hit the hat on the fighter stick. and for me the more buttons the better
I have flaps and air brake on one hat zoom / wide normal view on one and IR center pause on one hat i have coms broke into a main chanle and 3 whispers for Team speek so i can talk to all or just some of the guys i fly with.in my book the hats are great and they give you the option of haveing 4 buttions in the same place the combat stick will give you one. .. you don't HAVE to use all 4 but it is nice if you wish
Cuda

horseback
12-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by linzamin:
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone using a Combatstick and no IR use the 8-way hat on the throttle for POV?

See my earlier post. Use your CH Manager to select your Pro Throttle POV hat as the POV, and de-select the Combatstick POV, effectively giving you a new 4-way (unless your POV hat is more precise than mine, and you can use it as an 8-way switch) switch.

To make the POV hat even more effective, in your in-game Controls Menu, set a couple of the Throttle's 'pinkie' buttons (these have CH Manager default button numbers 2,3 & 4) to Look Up and Look Down. By pressing one of these while you move your POV hat around, your line of sight will be raised or lowered by 45 degrees -- very useful while maneuvering or scanning for e/a. By adding these buttons, you can 'see' the whole sky - it can be completely scanned in Wide View. The key is to be able to use these buttons at the same time you are using the POV hat.

It makes the 'in cockpit' view play much easier. Not in the same league as TIR3, but much better than the standard POV only setup, especially with a few hours' practice.

cheers

horseback

zoinksu52
12-16-2005, 12:20 AM
my trackir 4 arrived today. its the greatest thing since soap. think about getting one. they really are that good.