PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get No Hosting Satisfaction!

LuckyBoy1
01-22-2005, 11:58 AM
I've even bypassed my hardware firewall and everything listed in my Norton firewall shows allowed and 21000 enabled in the game and... I'm out of ideas... anyone?

Papa_K
01-22-2005, 03:56 PM
And you tried?
And you tried?
And you tri-tri-tri-tri-tri-tri-tried?

Shut down Norton, etc., and see if you still caint git no satisfaction.

Papa_K
01-22-2005, 03:56 PM
If on a router, check that too (ports).

Tully__
01-22-2005, 07:22 PM
Which lobby? Or direct IP?

LuckyBoy1
01-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Both Tully, but here's the deal. I'm playing online tonight with me M8's and we are chatting away on Teamspeak and I'm joining their servers Direct Connect. However, my Exploer will work on both mine and the wife's computer for a bit, but then it fails on both PC's. I've tried using a DMZ to rule out the Router/hardware firewall, but that didn't work. The only thing that seems to work is to unplug both the router and cable modem, shut down both PS's and then plug it all up and it will run for a bit and then same problem again. Any ideas?

LuckyBoy1
01-23-2005, 06:15 AM
Well, if I've figured this out, the fix does not make any sense. I had set up a virtual DMZ which is supposed to effectively bypass the hardware forewall in the router... right? Well, listen to this! I go to my Router page and as I own an SMC router, it has a page called Status. Under Internet, it has a couple buttons and one says release and the other renew. I clicked release and then renew and the connection hasn't gone flaky for 10 hours now and usually, the connection started going south after about 10 minutes. Maybe someone with like, brains can explain this one to me?

Tully__
01-23-2005, 10:30 AM
This is what I think is happening:

Your ISP is renewing your IP lease regularly, resulting in your IP changing while you're doing things. This confuses internet applications. By releasing the old IP and renewing it, you get the entire lease period before another interruption occurs instead of logging on to the internet near the end of the lease period.

LuckyBoy1
01-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Again Tully shows I am grasshopper of Community Help! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, the only other thing I noticed was my IP address changed. Great information and will make the next issue of Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users.

workky
01-23-2005, 02:17 PM
I had the same problem with my ISP.I had DSL bellsouth,turns out there was something wrong on there end.But my computer would renew ip's every five minutes,really weird.When they fixed it it went back to every 24hours,now that i have cable(thank goodness)its every week

workky
01-23-2005, 02:20 PM
u can check your lease expiration either in your modem or by typing "cmd" in the run box,and then type"ipconfig /all"
It should pull up you ip addy,lease time,**** like that

LuckyBoy1
01-23-2005, 02:54 PM
It says...

Lease Obtained..........: Sunday, January 23, 2005

Lease Expires...........: Monday, January 18, 2038

However, I have a feeling this might need to be checked again before 2038; am I right in thinking so?

BBloke
01-24-2005, 09:02 AM
LB, it would be nice if there was more info on networking solutions or things to watch out for.

I have a feeling I have a pretty unique setup concerning network cards and hosting as others have trouble mimicing it.

I've come to the conclusion it has a lot to do with how MS sees multiple nic's and how IL2 judges which is the first for hosting.

Give me a shout if you need anything for your great war and peace effort!! Nice work btw.

s~