PDA

View Full Version : How to host

Vittorio1
02-23-2006, 01:36 AM
I would like to start creating maps, and start hosting online in HL, what do i need to D/L to do this, a certin version of IL2 403?

I have the current version to play on line.

Also i have a LAN / Router with 2x systems does this cause problems as far as connections.

Thanks,

V1.

Vittorio1
02-23-2006, 01:36 AM
I would like to start creating maps, and start hosting online in HL, what do i need to D/L to do this, a certin version of IL2 403?

I have the current version to play on line.

Also i have a LAN / Router with 2x systems does this cause problems as far as connections.

Thanks,

V1.

rnzoli
02-23-2006, 01:42 AM
Do you want to host for the time you also play? In this case, you only need to click on the first game-slot in HL, and you will host the game for others.

Or host in a way that you can leave your machine unattended 24 hours a day? In this case, you need the dedicated server software.

The router can always pose challanges, but not unsolvable ones. Have to try as a first step.

Tully__
02-23-2006, 02:57 AM
Do you wish to host Coop mode or Dogfight mode? It makes a difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also i have a LAN / Router with 2x systems does this cause problems as far as connections. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
For clarification... This means you have a router and you have two computers connected on a LAN, you intend to host from one and play on the other?

Vittorio1
02-23-2006, 06:16 AM
Iam looking to initaly host dogfighter missions, and i guess i will probly host on 1 of my pc,s and play on the other (if this is the best option), also i would like other players to be able to join my online dogfighter server (say up to 16-32 players)

I used to do this on UBI com, however since my router setup i dont seem to be able to let anyone else log on (outside my LAN pc,s)

They seem to time out when they try to log on.

I now play always on HL, not ubi com anymore, so hence i would like to be able to create and host DF servers on HL.

This is a shame as i like setting creating these maps with a historical theme.

Thansk for all your help in advance.

V1.

Tully__
02-23-2006, 05:28 PM
For DF servers you're best to use the dedicated server software. The patch order thread at the top of the forum now contains the list of files necessary to build the latest version of the dedicated server for the merged version. You'll need to download and install in order all of those files on the machine you intend to host with, along with the Hyperlobby software.

You'll need to forward ports from the router to the host machine for the server software and HL, there's a list (and screenshot for Linksys users) in the "User fixes that may help... " thread in the Community Help forum (stickied near the top of the forum). You'll also need mission files and if you want the most control you'll want Server Commander (http://www.gennadich.com/) or FBDaemon (http://www.greatergreen.com/fbd2/) both of which allow you to use scripts in the briefing file to control map rotation, autokicks and other stuff.

To join your own server you'll need to connect by IP using the LAN IP of the server, but others will see only the external IP of the router.

If you search or ask in the Mission Builder forum there are links for several sites with excellent tutorials on the full mission builder in the game that will help with creating missions.

For coop mode you'll need to use the game as the dedicated server software doesn't support coop mode. It's still best to use two machines, one to host and one to play on. The missions you're using should include a plane for the "host" to "use" (remains parked at some obscure field in the corner of the map away from the action) and that aircraft should be designated "Player" to force the host machine to use that aircraft (and prevent genuine players from taking the wrong pilot slot). This minimises the load on the host machine as it doesn't have to render any action and you can minimise the load further by pointing the host view at the sky or some other reliably static and simple scenery as soon as the mission launches.

For more tips on designing missions to improve performance in multiplay, check out the mission builder forum.