PDA

View Full Version : Flying full real + TrackIR: aircraft impressions

Ernst_Rohr
03-10-2006, 10:07 AM
After finally taking the plunge and buying TrackIR, I finally had no excuse not to fly full real and I have noticed a signifigant change in some of the planes I fly (or thought I flew).

Here are a couple of things I have noticed, how about the rest of you?

I tend to fly a bit of everything, but most of my time is in US/Japanese birds.

Blue AC:

A6M:
I had good results with the Zero before, but flying with TrackIR and full real, I really have noticed a difference with this bird. Early on, the Zero is just flat out death on a stick! The addition of TrackIR really has brought out the ability of the AC to dogfight, and has also made deflection shooting easier (for me at least). Full pit + Track makes this plane perform and feel a lot more "real" for me. Great visibility in this bird, and Track really shows that off. Very hard to lose visual in this AC, and that makes it doubly dangerous! Easy handling, great turning, and easy to take off and land in. Definately see the planes strengths since I made the change.

Ki-43:
This has been the bird I noticed the biggest difference in. Even with full real running, the Track system really lets me take advantage of the planes awesome handling. It may not be fast, but if I can get on the 6 of any other AC, Im staying there! Where I used to be lucky to get 1 kill in this bird, im averaging 3. The change has been night and day. Rear visibility isnt as good as the Zero, but the ability to quickly slide the tail around for a peek behind slightly offsets this. I am really starting to love this plane. Very easy to fly, take off and land, only negative is its slow and paper thin. Dont mind the vunerability near as much now though, since the improvement to situational awareness makes it much easier to avoid getting shot!

Ki-61:
Not as much of a change, since its not as much a turn fighter as the Oscar, but the change has been noticable here as well. The ability to track AC has made maneuvering and tracking in for a gun pass much easier, and my gunnery much more effective. Visibility is pretty good all the way around, and the rear visibility isnt bad. With 4.04, its a little harder to catch up to enemy planes, but the improvement to situationa awareness that Track gives has made this plane noticiably more effective. Flight is pleasant, take off isnt bad, landing isnt as easy as a 43 or Zero, but still not bad. All around great plane.

109:
My biggest complaint with the 109 pre-TrackIR was that fact I just had a hard time seeing out of this bird, and though that was why I was having issues with it. After TrackIR, I see a lot better out this AC, so the situational awareness is a lot better, but I just cant seem to fly it worth a damn. Particularly against I-153, and I-16's, I just cant seem to get a good shooting solution. The 30mm is brutal, but its like lobbing anvils a people. IF it hits, its deadly, but I feel like a blind old man hunting rats with a hammer when I get stuck using it. Its fast, which is nice, but a little squirrely in turns so I tend to to fly it more B&Z. I definately have seen (and dislike) all the negatives to the AC. Lousy foward visibility, complex (and constant) engine management, touchy take off (be gentle with the controls!) and landing this thing is a royal pain! On the plus side, its fast, climbs quickly, and its pretty durable (as long as it isnt the engine!).Still, Im very frustrated with the 109, I just dont do well with it. Anyone got any good pointers?

Fw190:
I like this bird a LOT more than the 109! TrackIR has made visibility and situational awareness a LOT better, and im not getting shot up nearly as much. Much easier to shoot in, fast, durable and really good all around visibility (front visibility is a little iffy). Take off and landing is MUCH easier than the 109. I still dont have much time in the 190, but Im liking it a lot more than the 109 so far.

Stuka:
I hated this crate before TrackIR, and while its still slow and fragile, I am a whole lot more effective with it. The improvement to visibility and situational awareness are a huge help. and quickly being able to pan down and look throught he bottom viewport are a huge help. Easy to fly, take off and land. Slow, fragile, and underarmed, but farily maneverable. I am goin to have to spend a little more time in this bird.

Ju88:
I was really pleased to see this become flyable, and I am REALLY liking this bird. Awesome visibility out of this plane, that big glass nose makes for great situational awareness, even if some of the pit instruments get in the way occassionally. Easy plane to fly, take off and landings are pleasant, very maneverable for a bomber, fast. I dont have a lot of time in this plane yet, but definatly plan on more.

Red planes:

P-39:
I have always like the P-39 and the additon of TrackIR has made flying this crate a much more enjoyable experience. If you can keep the speed up, this is a great plane. Easy flying, easy to take off and land, but a really weak climber. Awesome all around visibility (although the top of the door panels give a pretty big blind spot to the top right and left). Not a great turner compared to anything japanese, but ok against 109's. That great big 37mm death stick is a killer, but you got to get REALLY close to hit anything, since that 37mm has the balistic arc of an anvil. Early models (D-1 especially) are really underpowered, but later models are pretty sweet.

P-40:
Tough, rugged, decent firepower in later models, ok in early models. Better turn fighter than the P-39. Lousy rear visibility. Easy to fly, take off and landing arent bad. I did ok with the 40 before TrackIR, and I havent seen as much of a change since I switched, though I get shot a lot less! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Good all around plane.

P-38:
I love this plane! Fast, easy to take off and land, and great firepower. Great visibility and durability (except the tail!). Not a great turner but as a B&Z fighter, its fanatastic. Pretty good turn fighter against German AC though. TrackIR has made a huge difference in situational awareness, I am having a field day against Japanese AC. Since I changed, I really have gotten a better "feel" for the AC. Since Track and full real, my score has gone up a bunch in this bird.

P-47:
A flying dumptruck with guns! Actually, I really like the 47 (my grandfather built them during WWII, so I have a soft spot for them). Brutal torque on takeoff, and it lands like a dropped cannonball, but flight is pleasant. Not a bad turner agains German planes, strictly B&Z against Japanese planes. God help anything that gets in front of those 8 .50's, great firepower! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Visibility good to great depending on model, and man is this plane TOUGH. A lot of fun to move mud with, feels a little piggish as a fighter. Since TrackIR, situational awareness is a lot better, and I dont tend to get shot as much, but I havent noticed a huge change in scoring in the bird, but definately a bump up.

LaGG3:
4.03/4.04 made a big change to this plane. I used to fly this bird a lot, and still do, but the changes to FM make this plane a LOT less stable, particularly in turns. I like the LaGG, dont exactly know why, but I am fond of this bird. Great firepower, but a little slow, VERY twitchy in tight turns since the change. Visibility is average, but poor to the rear. Take off is ok, but the long nose makes for lousy ground handling, landings are a litte more dicey, AC seems to like stalling on me a lot. Since Track and full real, I have discovered I hate the canopy crossbraces a lot, they are a real annoyance in trying to track AC. I havent noticed a huge change in scoring, but a slightly higher score. Get shot down by 109's a lot less though! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Mig3:
Lot more stable than the LaGG, but I dont like the visibility out of the AC, and its a lot less in the firepower department. Fast and good dive handling. Turning is ok, but not as good as the LaGG, but a lot less prone to fall into a spin than the LaGG. Take off is a pain, you cant see squat over the huge nose of this bird, landing is kind of fast (may just be me though) but not bad. I need to spend more time in this crate. Currently in a love hate relationship with this plane. Its not a bad plane, just has some really annoying (for me) characteristics that are making it hard for me to like it.

I-16:
If any AC in the game could be said to suffer from ADD is this thing. VERY twitchy AC, but man can it dogfight! Very unstable, likes to spin out, but turns tight and packs a hell of a punch in the later model. Not very durable, definatly doesnt handly cannon hits well. SLOW! Your not catching anything in this bird. Rear visibility sucks, but sliding the tail around is easy and helps offset this. Takes a lot of work to fly this bird, but it can be fun.

SweetMonkeyLuv
03-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Yeah, even with Track IR, the forward vis in the 109 and 190 still make me feel like a horse with blinders on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

reverendkrv1972
03-10-2006, 12:19 PM
a lot of people I've spoken to that use trackir swear by it...guess i need to save some cash http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

maybe one day I'll be able to get it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Treetop64
03-10-2006, 12:56 PM
The more I read posts like these, the more you jokers twist my arm to get me to purchase a TrackIR. I'm not sure what my hangup is on the TiR, but for some reason I've always hesitated to get it. It certainly isn't the cost; lord knows I consistently dump and waste money on countless other ventures.

I think I'll shut my mouth now, and start orderin'

JG52Uther
03-10-2006, 01:05 PM
TiR rocks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SweetMonkeyLuv
03-10-2006, 01:30 PM
And don't worry about any ragging you get from your buddies. First time my non flight-sim buddy came over and saw it, I caught all kinds of grief. But then he wanted to see me use it, and it only took a few mins for the ridicule to turn into "****, that's really cool!"

RocketDog
03-10-2006, 01:48 PM
TIR is almost as essential as a joystick. I can't imagine ever stopping using one - it would be like flying wearing a neckbrace. Good investement!

Cheers,

RocketDog.

ATLAS_DEATH
03-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Now here's something to do... disable all keyboard commands for view angle changes... now use the TIR for a while... now one day go and fly without it... you will crash after take off.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

slipBall
03-11-2006, 02:57 AM
There was TIR 3, now 4. Do you have to buy 5 when available. Or can you upgrade from 4

T_O_A_D
03-11-2006, 05:54 AM
Good observations. I added a link to this thread in my TIR fix thread. S!

Viper2005_
03-11-2006, 06:16 AM
TIR is much mis-understood.

The zealots will tell you that it's as important as a joystick and they couldn't fly without it.

The luddites don't see any benefit.

My experience is somewhere in the middle.

TIR makes it a little easier to track contacts, but to be honest you could get the same result with mouse-look if you were prepared to put the effort in.

The main advantage of TIR is that it allows you to stay HOTAS whilst looking around, which is very useful in a knife fight.

When you compare it with the price of a modded Cougar (which is the best investment you'll ever make for IL2 - the œ2NXT really is œber!) it's pretty cheap.

Jettexas
03-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Given two pilots, red or blue, of relatively equal skill.
It will always be the guy that makes fewer mistakes that wins.
In the case of Track IR, the most powerful benefit is that after the initial period of adjustment, while you learn that you dont need to see the crosshairs to fly the plane.... it becomes more difficult to make the "mistake" of losing viz. on your opponenent even for a second , even in a rolling scissors.

S!

SeaFireLIV
03-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Ernst_Rohr:

I-16:
If any AC in the game could be said to suffer from ADD is this thing. VERY twitchy AC, but man can it dogfight! Very unstable, likes to spin out, but turns tight and packs a hell of a punch in the later model. Not very durable, definatly doesnt handly cannon hits well. SLOW! Your not catching anything in this bird. Rear visibility sucks, but sliding the tail around is easy and helps offset this. Takes a lot of work to fly this bird, but it can be fun.

Very true, on all counts. The I16 will sort out the chaff from the wheat. I always have respect for anyone who`ll fly an I16 on realistic settings. Once you get used to it, it can be unstoppable against the wannabe `Aces` in even 44-45 faster aircraft. I went on a server once and shot down 2 such `Aces` and watched another 2 eat dirt cos they thought I must have been crazy flying an I16 among them. It was sweet! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Also, TIR is great, get it if you are able!

dbillo
03-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Jettexas:
... while you learn that you dont need to see the crosshairs to fly the plane....
It shouldn't require TrackIR to learn that.

Jettexas
03-11-2006, 05:34 PM
'Dillo

yeah true, but its there.
the inferred point...perhaps lost..was
If view control is even slightly difficult,for you..you will tend spend the majority of your time looking the direction the guns fire. And using your gunsight as a primary point of reference.
Its a predispostion or tendency many develop.
IR or any other good view panning utility will reduce this tendency.

They know what I mean and so do you.
All the best,
Redfish

knightflyte
03-11-2006, 10:48 PM
If you're going to order Track IR check out SimHQ. There's a $30 discount from GoGamer. It only applies to US purchases, but Track IR 4 with Vector Expansion and 6 DOF for $155.00 including shipping? Can't go wrong there.

Click on the sidebar link.

Magnum PC has it for $159.00 which includes shipping.

check out Natural Point's demo movies:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/product-videos.html

Prop_Strike
03-12-2006, 01:20 AM
I have to laugh when I see you American fellas undecided about spending $155 - $175 on TIR! I wish I could've gotten mine for that!
A while back I picked up a TIR3 Pro with vector and it cost me about $290 on PC Aviator here in Australia.
And I didn't get ripped off...Our dollar just sucks a bit. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
Even at that price it it very much worth it!...I will never play another sim that doesn't support it!
I drool all over my keyboard just thinking about 6DOF in BOB!!!!!

P.S This was not meant to insult anyone who was talking about the TIR prices. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif