PDA

View Full Version : Targetting issues

Gathrun
05-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I recently swapped out my TMOWTW mod for RFB and am getting used to the differences. I am still using version 1.4 as I've not gotten the U-Boat Missions.

My first patrol out of Cavite and I head up the coast to circle and arrive at my patrol area on the other side of the island.

I stubbled into a couple troopships, a tanker and a CL in a column surrounded by a circle of 10-12 DDs. Radioing in my find, I was told to take out the freighters. Low and slow, I got inside the screen and popped up to periscope depth. I put three of four bow tubes into the troopship and sent it to the bottom. The 4th was a premie, but my objective wasn't complete and I still had four tubes loaded stern.

I fired off 4 stern at the tanker and again, 3 of 4 with a premie. It is on fire and listing, slowing to a crawl. I had a reloaded tube and tried to hit the cruiser, but it crossed behind the disabled tanker, which exploded beautifully and completed by objective with 19K tons sunk.

So where's the issue? Not here. Later I found a solo merchant ship and suddenly it was like playing a bad game of pin the tail on the donkey. Night surface attack, I fired at all four bow tubes at 1,800 yards and dived to remain unseen. My torpedoes passed well in front of the target. Like 2,000 yards ahead.

Confused, I turned and shot off two stern tubes. Again, the same result. I am using auto targeting, so nothing should be affecting my setups, no matter what I do. But I check anyway. AOB looks right. Speed set correctly. Distance is good. Not that I can change any of that anyway. I made sure the position indicator light was off and the info was updating. All were fired with the doors opened and I was missing ahead anyway.

Setting my last two stern tubes to run on the slow setting, I opened doors and fired again. I still missed that much ahead, it just took them longer to get there.

What could I possibly be doing wrong on auto targetting to miss a no zigging target by that much? I know torpedoes will premature and I know they run deep, and can circle, but I didn't think going straight was otherwise a problem. And eight in a row is extreme.

It's a poll just 'cause.

Magic452
05-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Before I vote A http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif just want to ask a question. (all ways wanted to vote A on something)

Did you lock on the target first?
Only thing I can think of.

Magic

fireftr18
05-05-2010, 07:49 PM
My guess is you're not using the auto target correctly. If the little lock arrow thing is red, then the torpedo will miss. If it is yellow, then it may or may not hit. I remember reading a thread here some time ago that suggested not to fire unless the target is within 30 degrees from zero or 180.

Gathrun
05-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Did you lock on the target first?

Pretty sure I did for the last two and fired dead center, but I don't normally. So long as it is feeding data to the TDC, you can aim for various points of the ships to manually spread your torpedoes.

My guess is you're not using the auto target correctly. If the little lock arrow thing is red, then the torpedo will miss. If it is yellow, then it may or may not hit. I remember reading a thread here some time ago that suggested not to fire unless the target is within 30 degrees from zero or 180.

I usually don't shoot unless I am at a good setup or desperate. This close on a lone merchant, I was heading straight at it with about a 60 degree AOB, so it shouldn't have been that.

I've been playing fine in TMO, so I think it was just an odd fluke or something to do with RFB that is modded to be more "real" than I am used to. Especially since my random CTD's from stock caused by switching to binoculars view seems to have come back as well.

WernherVonTrapp
05-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Was the target zigging? Or, perhaps it changed direction unexpectedly. I've had that happen, where a target changes course. You,ll see that if you're near a port or harbor. Also, if the target detects your presence, it'll zig or change course. Was your angle offset, set to "0"?

Gathrun
05-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Yeah, I never touch the offset, so it should have been zero. If I'd accidentally moved it instead of the depth gear, I wouldn't have done it on all eight without noticing.

The target hadn't seen me and didn't change course, nor speed.

I've not had a chance to get back to it to see if I'm still having the problem yet. Things tend to reset each time you fire up the game, so hopefully I won't have the problem again.

Gathrun
05-19-2010, 08:41 PM
I really don't get this. I reloaded from a safety save and the exact same thing happens. There is no reason my torpedos should be hooking that much. I've sunk three ships this patrol already, this shouldn't be different.

Magic452
05-19-2010, 10:45 PM
I try going to a sub school mission or something and see if it is still a problem. If not try uninstalling RFB and see what happens, might have a bad install or bad save.

Magic

Wolferz
05-20-2010, 03:52 AM
The only thing I can think of is, it's the mod.

Now that you have removed the training wheels, try TMO.

gdeneef
06-27-2010, 06:14 PM
It is advisable to re-lock after firing the first 2 torpedoes. You should never trust the settings to remain accurate. And I never fire 4 torpedoes at once at the same target, I find hat the settings are more accurate if I fire at one target, than lock on to the other target and than go back to the first. The fact that your shots were all the same distance off is a real life glitch that might cost you dearly when missing a destroyer.

CapnScurvy
07-15-2010, 06:52 AM
What version of RFB are you using? I know you stated it's compatible with only a patched 1.4 game version. Back when I was helping on the RFB project we had a distinct problem of having the torpedoes take a "hook" just after leaving the sub. Stationary target, stationary sub, fire as usual and "poof" the torps heading for the weeds.

Here's a couple of pictures I took when it was occuring to me on test runs of RFB.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/SH4Img2008-05-20_055806_046.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/Torpedoerror.jpg

I don't know if this is your trouble, and to be quite honest, I don't remember what we did about it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif It's been a couple of years now. But, I'll try to look through my notes and threads and remind myself how or when we corrected it. If this looks like your problem, there is a cure.

============
edited:

Sorry, I just looked at the date this thread was first made. Nothing like being prompt!!! I'm suspecting you've moved on by now, which for the good of the order is just as well. The post stating "try TMO" may have been your best answer.

=============

nohunt1
07-15-2010, 08:51 AM
CapnS...There is no such thing as an "out of date" post. If it offers information on how to solve a problem, it's something we can all use at sometime in the future.

I like that stopwatch...Is there a mod for it..??

Gathrun
07-15-2010, 09:06 AM
That looks familar.

I haven't played probably since I posted this. I play an online MMORPG mostly, with PC as fill in from time to time and am currently reliving my Fallout 3 addiction, so haven't been back.

I appreciate the response. I really shouldn't be playing with old versions of mods on an outdated version of the game. I'll get Uboat, then add the recent version. Thanks.

CapnScurvy
07-15-2010, 11:36 AM
As a follow up, I looked back through our RFB team website posts and found a whole months worth of our "nashing-of-teeth" over the problem of torpedoes going off line to target.

May, 2008 gave rise to the problem when using "RFB 1.5 version 051408". I'm sure this was a version that was compatible with a Silent Hunter 4 patched to 1.5 BUT, the file in question came from an earlier version of RFB that may have been written during the 1.4 days. The solution was for a correction with the MK.14's gyro angle in the "Topedoes_US.sim" file. Setting this parameter back to a stock sum eliminated the problem.

If you happen' to have gotten a hold of a late RFB version compatible to 1.4, this file may be the one that's in it. The problem with the issue was not everyone would get it all the time. Usually it took a game save/restart to make it occur!?! Since it happened during the early RFB 1.5 days we were more concerned about fixing the current version than going back to a 1.4 version and patching it. So, it could be your RFB 1.4 version has the problem and only reared it's head occasionally. Not enough to make you think it's the mods fault but to blame yourself for doing wrong. Believe me, modders don't get it right anymore than the game developers do. But we do try to correct our mistakes when we find one.