PDA

View Full Version : Bf109 tactic: Using the rope-a-dope

Afromike1
12-17-2008, 11:10 PM
I dont know about you but ive noticed this tactic is AMAZING!

The Story: Ive always been trying to figure out the perfect maneuvers for the 109. Statistically, the 109's major advantage is the climb but what most people wouldnt guess is that the 109 has also a very high threshold for not stalling(probably the best). So what would you know, I combined them together http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif!

testing it out, ive won almost all of my dogfights (offline and on) with this tactic. What I do is get a minimal speed start of around 400 m/s. Then I vertical climb until ive almost lost almost all of my speed. Ive already gained a massive height advantage which I could use for speed. And since most of my enemies are spits if they follow me then they will suffer a greater stall change, and the spits have a harder time getting out of the stall lol.

The great thing about this is that it works on all bf109 variants including late-war (although it works best on early-war). The trick into not stalling is to make a slight angle off from a near perfect vertical climb. I had a stall once but still managed to come back and win the fight. Also, once diving down the 109's powerful engine picks back up the speed very well. I think this tactic combines all of the best advantages the 109 can give.

Only disadvantage, only works for head-on or same-level attacks. If the bandit has altitude advantage u got to think of a way to make him loose some Energy. You also have to create a bit of some separation or else he can take you climbing up. With head-on, you have to dive down a bit so the bandit will 99% of the time overshoot.

Anyways, whats ur thought on this?

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.92c413bb6a.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?92c413bb6a.jpg)

PanzerAce
12-17-2008, 11:25 PM
I can't count the number of guys I've torn up as they were at the top of a stall. I've found that if you have time, going into a very high AOA climb is better than going vertical, since you can generally still keep control even down to ~140 indicated, and nothing can follow you (if you have enough separation to start with)

FlixFlix
12-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Climbing away from a co-E Spitfire is impossible ever since patch 3.03m (or something). Have you tried that online?

Freiwillige
12-17-2008, 11:48 PM
The Spitfire's best climb rate is always close to the 109's below a certain altitude. But the 109 has the best climb angle which is a different thing entirely. Its not about speed its about hanging on the prop at an almost vertical angle and nobody can hang as long as the 109's, they stall trying. I use this as a defensive menouver. First I get them to bleed off speed in a spiral climb as they try to bring their guns to bear they are bleeding off large emounts of speed. You have to have a fairly steep angle in the climb and the whole while your 109 airframe will be on the verge of falling out too so just ride that line! As speed falls off level the wings and keep her in the steepest climb you can controll at full power. Anybody else including Spits that try to follow Stall and fall away.

Codex1971
12-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Two things you need to worry about, your making yourself a target, your slow and climbing, so you better hope the guy following you is a bad shot. Secondly, keep an eye out for his wingman.

M_Gunz
12-18-2008, 02:26 AM
Good tactic to know. It's not tied to 109's either.
If the other has more speed at the start than you do, and you're not a long ways apart then don't try it right then.

It's not about the low speed climb as the zoom and speed differences.
A 190 -can- do this more extremely than a 109.

Manu-6S
12-18-2008, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Codex1971:
Two things you need to worry about, your making yourself a target, your slow and climbing, so you better hope the guy following you is a bad shot. Secondly, keep an eye out for his wingman.

Right. To be successful in this tactics you need a good SA.

Speed is life and when you reach the apex of the zoom you find yourself slow and very vulnerable.

Do this tactic only on 1v1 or at least when you are totally sure that nobody is there with you and your enemy.

If you are energy fighting with the enemy plane be sure that his wingman is climbing not far from there.

TooCooL34
12-18-2008, 02:43 AM
It's effective but it should be last ditch maneuver.
And it could be safe when you certainly know enemy's energy state and it's pure 1 vs 1.

blairgowrie
12-18-2008, 05:40 AM
Please check your PT's Afromike1