PDA

View Full Version : Interview - IJA ace pilot

Wildnoob
08-30-2008, 04:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-eBmnpCO18&feature=related

Yohei Hinoki was a pilot, an ace pilot of the imperial japanese army air service. in this interview taked in the 1980s he talks about the Ki-43.

I think I already posted it here, but can't confirm. but anyway, here we go again for those who not watch it.

Wildnoob
08-30-2008, 04:55 PM
I just don't understand that the later versions where great. I know that the late war models where equiped with armor, more firepower (2 x 20 mm cannons) and self sealing tanks, but at that time the Ki-43 substitute - the Ki-84 - was already in production and even with the improvements the Ki-43 was still very inferior to allied figthers of the time.

it's amazing, like Saburo Sakai and probably thounds more annonymus pilot's in all sides he got very, very injure by enemy fire and still manage to land it's plane.

DKoor
08-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Some of those stories are magnificent... I've read Sakai's story as well... big portion of luck and determination.

JtD
08-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Wildnoob:
I just don't understand that the later versions where great. I know that the late war models where equiped with armor, more firepower (2 x 20 mm cannons) and self sealing tanks, but at that time the Ki-43 substitute - the Ki-84 - was already in production and even with the improvements the Ki-43 was still very inferior to allied figthers of the time.

The Ki-43IIb, the one he is talking about, entered service in 1943, when the Ki-84 was not available. It was armed with 13mm guns, not 20mm guns, which were referred to as 13mm cannons in the Japanese Army air force. They fired explosive rounds.

I think he considers the IIb a good plane because it finally was a machine he could fight with, instead of against. I don't think that there can be a worse combat plane than an unreliable one. In particular if it tends to break in half.

In Asia, there still were plenty of Hurricanes and P-40 in service when the IIb was introduced, so there were opponents it could fight on a fairly equal footing. Spitfires and later US fighters certainly were much superior.

Real life air combat has little to do with what we see on our dogfight servers, or in offline campaigns. Not every engagement was fought to the complete elimination of one side. Quite often you'd make an attack and disengage after a brief time, this is why the initial position is so important. For instance, one wouldn't attack a formation of 88 with 12 of it's own if it was a last man standing issue. But they had reliable information about the enemy, so they could position themselves, attack and disengage.

zardozid
08-31-2008, 12:43 AM
Interesting thanks...my Japanese is not so good so the subs are nice.

Very lucky man... better to be lucky then good (LOL).

SlithMan
08-31-2008, 07:25 PM
thanks this is great, Japanese planes and their pilots are my fave http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Wildnoob
09-01-2008, 11:08 AM
this guy was really amazing, a person that lost part of a leg in combat, probably many friends and still talk about the war always smiling and with so naturally.

he is the most impressive veteran in these terms I ever see.

JtD
09-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Japanese etiquette probably plays a role in how he is telling. That certainly weren't fun times.

I wish there'd be more Eastern material available in the West, that starts with the Eastern front, but mostly covers the Asian/Pacific war from a Japanese point of view. This makes the video twice as interesting.

Wildnoob
09-01-2008, 01:36 PM
yep, and also Oleg don't put any B5N, G3M, Ki-21 and A5M to simulate the war in China.

it would be pretty interesting to simulate the Chinese front, but of course with aircraft of the Chinese air force as well. the I-15, P-26 among others.

I dream with the day when we gonna have SOW engine in the pacific and going to be able to have a career of A5M pilot in China for example. the part of WWII that I most like is the early. of course that Oleg had his reasons to not put these aircraft in IL2, but I really wish to be able to fly them someday.