PDA

View Full Version : True Navigation

blix_99
04-17-2006, 02:01 AM
Has anyone considered taking away the "own ship mark" on the navigation chart? Wouldn't this, in a sense, create a challenge and a much more laborous task of finding where you are in relation to the convoy? One would have to use the "plot course" option to mark out how long you'll be travelling in minutes and then compare that number to the handy Grey Wolves chart mod to pinpoint yours and their location. You'll have so many marks on your chart you won't see the ocean.
Like Kreichbaum said to the Old Man, "We are here. The enemy should be here."
Naturally, in rough weather, the boat has a harder time staying on course. Again to quote Kreichbaum, "Sir, I can't keep her on course. We are burning up fuel for nothing."

And hey, when in doubt, the game supplies the north star AND a compass, and you can set it up so that it jumps down to 1x if you approach to close to land. You'll need a pad of paper and a calculator, and serious capacity to concentrate to avoid miscalculation, because one foul up and you may never find your way back to port, let alone any ships. But it would be the closest thing to real navigation without the sextent. A cool "fuel calculation mod" would go great with this to add to your concerns.
One thing is for certain. You won't be taking the time compressor or the recordplayer for granted anymore. The only real problem this method presents, (besides it's complexity) is the extended time the navigation chart image spends static on your monitor, which could in some cases burn the image into it. But hey, you'll be an ace navigator in no time.

Now that's 100% realism! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Captain Blix

WilhelmSchulz.
04-17-2006, 02:06 AM
nice idea but too complex for a game, sorry

BueJack
04-17-2006, 02:57 AM
This has alreadt been discussed as an extra hardship on reality. An in game Sextant might be nice.
Somebody has already made a Longitute/Latitude program for caculating Grid postitions. It might be and idea to make a 'screen sextant' for calculating Latitude as we have our very accurate German watch makers clock for longitude positions ?

Good idea to continue this thought, maybe in the next Mod.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Silva_Bullet
04-17-2006, 11:22 PM
While I think it would certainly be challenging, it would also be a bit TOO involved. Keep in mind, you have to do everything yourself; the crew won't give themselves orders (or their subordinates either, it seems). I just think it would be a bit much to juggle.

general_kalle
04-19-2006, 09:23 AM
รย*f it were true id go to the place where u chance ur sub and selekt: buy GPS

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

bootysnapper69
06-03-2006, 07:18 PM
it would be cool if you could turn it on or off in game, so if you were bored, drifting around the atlantic, you could amuse your self by finding your way around manually.

I like the idea of discovering where i am on the map, and placing marks for my last known position.

im sure this is just a pipe dream.