PDA

View Full Version : is there any other online flight sim with the forced cockpit on?

raaaid
12-06-2004, 05:31 PM
i was considering to try wwii online and i was wondering if the cockpit on is forced or not

9th_Spitin
12-06-2004, 05:33 PM
I played that game when it first came out and believe that the cockpit is always on, as it should be. It was a great idea for a game, but it was way too buggy back then.

S~

RBJ_fan_1138
12-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Forced cockpit is unrealistic, because a real pilot can move his head and see around the canopy frame! Also no-cockpit view gives 'a better sensation of flight' and is therefore more realistic in a flying simulator.

3.JG51_BigBear
12-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Your sig is giving me motion sickness. LOL

StG77_Stuka
12-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Perhaps this is wrong forum for this question.........eerrr did you just wish to make a point?

RBJ_fan_1138
12-06-2004, 05:40 PM
Pah - you're all newbies who don't remember the greatness that is RayBayJockey!

raaaid
12-06-2004, 05:41 PM
so you are forced to play with the cockpit on like il2 or not

ElAurens
12-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Actually, I'm trying to forget him...

RBJ_fan_1138
12-06-2004, 05:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by raaaid:
so you are forced to play with the cockpit on like il2 or not <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know, I've never played the game you mention. But in Il-2, full real is less real than non-real, because if a real pilot could see his enemies on the map then he would choose to do so, and doing anything different is therefore unrealistic. It's very simple.

You registered Feb 02, surely you remember the greatness of RayBayJockey who I represent?

Bearcat99
12-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Whooooaaaaa!!!!! Im havin flashbacks...... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Stiglr
12-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Yes, in WWIIOL you must fly with the cockpit on, as the real pilots had to do.

Thankfully, they haven't submitted to the will of gamers in this particular aspect of flight.

In the armor, too. You feel very claustrophobic, and view is restricted badly...er, unless you wanna unbutton and stick your head out the cupola for everbody and their brother to take a potshot at.

=======================================
Don't let the realism of an enclosed cockpit (calling it "forced" is a whine, really) deter you. No, the cockpit view s not completely realistic, in that you could move around a bit more in a real cockpit to see around obstructions...BUT (and it's a big but, too), it is much, MUCH less realistic to just pretend that you're flying around surrounded by nothing.

Fact is, view restrictions were a BIG factor in this era, and that's why they started with enclosed cages and ended the era with blown perspex hoods.

Flying "WonderWoman" style takes big aircraft differences out of the equation. In Wonder Woman view, a guy flying a F6F, with its huge razorback fuselage blocking the view rearward, enjoys the same view as a guy in a P-51D with a bubble canopy. That's just WRONG.

Stop trying to get around this, and just get on with flying in the pit and NOT using external views as a cheat. You really CAN learn to bank your plane to see around obstructions. TrackIR is helping a lot of people get better views. And seemingly with every version, there's some new keystroke to "nudge" your views, although for the life of me, I can't see why anyone would go through all that bother when the dot's going to move in a second or two, anyway. *shrug* Just bank the plane, or kick a little rudder and you're golden.

Dash_8
12-06-2004, 07:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Whooooaaaaa!!!!! Im havin flashbacks......

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same Here!!! I miss RayBanJockey. His posts were always good for a laugh. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tater-SW-
12-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Head lean (particularly sims coded to take advantage of the 6 degrees of freedom variety of trackir) would certainly help, but cockpit on is far far far more realistic that the 360degree bubble view. You could argue that some kind of inbetween view (with the lower part of the cockpit and back drawn, but none of the canopy areas) might be more realistic, but there is no possible argument that wonder woman view is more realistic.

tater

x__CRASH__x
12-06-2004, 09:24 PM
an RBJ fanboi. terrific.

pourshot
12-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Why is it when I seen RBJ's sig again I instantly remember the huge Boil I got lanced from my A rse?

Casper139971
12-06-2004, 11:57 PM
You bought the game... Play it how you like it.
Canopy on/off.... What does it matter how you play.

Also, about realism. This is a game/simulation.
I can land on a carrier in this game, no problem (now anyway, after much practice), but I find it highly unlikely that if I were to master this sim, I could actually land a real plane on a carrier.

Probalbly the sheer terror, that would be my downfall. Actual fear of dying. Not virtual death.

Just my thoughts....

diabloblanco1
12-07-2004, 09:53 AM
You paid for it fly it the way you want.

A serious discussion of realism in a computer simulation, goes about as far as being able to simulate the G-effects on your hand and body while yanking on that M$ stick, NOT. Some people take computer games and themselves as fighter pilots WAY to seriously. Pfft.

dgaggi
12-07-2004, 10:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by raaaid:
i was considering to try wwii online and i was wondering if the cockpit on is forced or not <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Try out Aces High II www.hitechcreations.com (http://www.hitechcreations.com). You get two weeks free. It has a forced cockpit view, but your field of vision is great. It's a bit pricey at $15 a month, but it's the best thing going in my opinion. I left to try this because of an up coming deployment, but will return to the game as soon as I return.

raaaid
12-07-2004, 10:46 AM
wow thanks a lot for the link dgaggi
that was just what i was looking for

now i just hope that soon is 6dof supported

dgaggi
12-07-2004, 10:52 AM
wow thanks a lot for the link dgaggi
that was just what i was looking for

now i just hope that soon is 6dof supported <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No problem. Warning... Before your two weeks is up you will be hooked. They have a great community too. <S>

Il2pongo
12-07-2004, 11:01 AM
all these sims should realize that periferal vision would make those bars less obstructive and make them translucent or have the enemy visible in some way through them.
But the view system in AH is way better then here unless you have three hands or track IR.