PDA

View Full Version : whats limiting here -graphic or cpu?

tolodada
05-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi there,

In short: I need more fps http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

What would you say is limiting me?
Ati 9800 pro, Athlon 3000+, 1.5GB Ram.

Would it be worth to update graphics card?

Thanks a lot!

VW-IceFire
05-19-2007, 03:13 PM
The 9800Pro and Athlon 3000+ are both well matched. Upgrade either and you're probably wasting money as either way it'll be less worthwhile. You might be able to get away with something a little higher but it might be worth it to save that money for a new system.

I'm in the same boat...Athlon 2700+ and GeForce 6600 GT. Even the 6600GT is being held back a bit by the CPU.

FoolTrottel
05-19-2007, 05:52 PM
What IceFire said...

I was in the same boat.

P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB of memory, 9800Pro.
Nicely balanced system, running great.

But, still looking for FPS gain.

Got me an Intel E6600, 2GB of memory and an Nvdia 8800 GTS. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Either tone down some settings, or get a new rig...

Korolov1986
05-19-2007, 06:46 PM
In short, if you want more FPS, you need a higher end video card.

Unfortunately, in order to do that, you will probably have to upgrade motherboard, RAM, and CPU in order to get access to all the PCI-E cards around nowadays.

VMF-214_HaVoK
05-19-2007, 07:47 PM
I recommend saving some cash and getting a new mobo that supports PCIx and Dual Core. You can get yourself a new mobo, cpu, and gpu for under 600 bucks and get a dramatic increase in performance. Possibly under 500 depending on what you want. Its just not worth it for you to go out and get a new card with a dated system already but if you insist a 7800GS would be a good start. And it will give you extra fps...guaranteed.

Bearcat99
05-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Yeah that rig is pretty well balanced.. you might get a few more frames with a video card upgrade.. but you wold only be limiting yourself. Id save some $$ and try to do a Mobo,CPU,RAM,GPU upgrade.

MaxMhz
05-21-2007, 11:34 AM
I agree with the previous posters; one thing to add though - Do you use integrated sound? - check what happens with FPS if you run without sound...
Integrated sound chips can limit your FPS - An Audigy 2ZS might be worthwile if that's the case.
Other than that I would save untill at least after E3 - prices are continually dropping and CPU's getting faster by the dayhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
05-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Unless the integrated sound is a Soundstorm on a nForce 2 (given his configuration he might have that). That one has its own APU so CPU impact is minimal and quite similar to dedicated card. Shame they never continued with the line...nVidia could have started making these things as add in boards they were pretty good at the time.

buzzsaw1939
05-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Guys... I hope you don't mind me popping in here! but it's how I learn, (better than listening to a salesman) while teaching myself to assemble 2 systems for my wife and I, (they work pretty good) I was under the assumption that PCI cards were for old mother boards that didn't have AGP slots, did I miss something? is there a simple explanation? (I hope)! also I've noticed you guys seem to be able to see your FPS rate at a glance, do you assign a hot key for this or something? Thanks

FoolTrottel
05-21-2007, 02:50 PM
I was under the assumption that PCI cards were for old mother boards that didn't have AGP slots, did I miss something?
Yes, but just a tiny bit...

PCI is older than AGP, but Pcix is newer than AGP... the later PCI is a successor to AGP, both are mainly used for graphics cards.

Basic PCI is still present on current motherboards as there's large numbers of different PCI-cards available, for all kinds of purposes.

FoolTrottel
05-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Oh, and for current FPS at a glance, either use Fraps (look for it with google, it's free), or in game/mission press shift-tab to bring up the console, then type:
fps START SHOW and press enter (mind you, it is case sensitive!)
Press shift tab again to leave the console.

To stop/hide the counter, go to the console and type fps STOP SHOW and press enter...

Have Fun!

buzzsaw1939
05-21-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm begaining to think your my gardian angel http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif many, many thanks Fooltrottel.

Bearcat99
05-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Now it is my turn.... Isn't PCIE for the newer video only... don't most network & sound cards etc (Well most mobos now adays tend to have network cards built in.. so it seems the main thing that still is on the PCI bus is the sound cards but...) use the PCI bus... unless of course you have an older mobo with only PCI slots in which case your vieo would be PCI as well... Is that correct?

msalama
05-22-2007, 12:53 AM
Yup BC. PCI-E is the new grafx bus, older boards use AGP. Ancient boards use plain PCI, but I don't think anyone who's into gaming uses those anymore...

And yes, most add-on cards use plain PCI.

Sillius_Sodus
05-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Unles you absolutely want all the eye candy all the time, try using a lower detail setting for say, trees, I believe the manual says having hi-res trees gives the frame rate a big hit. Lowering the sim's resolution will also help. It also depends what type of missions you fly. Some of the user-made missions/campaigns or DCGEN campaigns have a lot of stuff going on in them which makes your cpu work very hard to keep up.

Good hunting,
sillius_Sodus

RamsteinUSA
05-22-2007, 09:40 AM
checkout the ATI and Nvidia Forums:

http://www.guru3d.com/

how much are you willing to spend?

ask in those forums. of course you have people telling you to dump your computer and build a new one. But, if that's out fo the question find the answer you are looking for by asking.

A New better faster video card may require you to buy a new power supply, if yours does not have enough wattage. Just a bit more info.

Good Luck..

FYI, I just bought a new ATI Radeon X1950 for my AGP motherboard, but even that ended up costing about $350.00 total USD with rebates. I had to buy a better power suppply on top of the new video card.

tolodada
05-24-2007, 09:58 AM
thx a lot to all of you.

I think I will just wait for BoB - and get a completely new rig.

AFJ_Locust
05-25-2007, 04:37 AM
Your answer is

XFX GeForce 7800 GS AGP

trust me

its very very very good & will SMOKE your 9800Pro
I dont care what anyone says this sim is not dependant on cpu, I have monitored my cpu usage during game play Its nill

I just upgraded from a p4 3.2 with 2gigs of ocz pc4000 and that xfx 7800gs It was screaming, Prior to the 7800gs I had an ati x800xl the 7800gs kicked its arse make sure you get the XFX brand with double lifetime warenty and dam good service. or evga brand you might consider 7900gs but a lil more expensive 7800gs should be good enough till bob & new MOBO CPU RAM PCIE

check it out like 150$ and worth every penny
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814130274

Beirut
05-25-2007, 05:05 AM
I have an AMD64-3000 and upped my video card from a 9800Pro to a BFG AGP 7800GS. It made a huge difference. Everything looked better, ran better, and I was able to fly with the water=3 setting which really brought the game alive. There are still limitations, of course, I can't magically load up a hundred planes on the Finland map and get smooth FPS at max settings, but I am able to do more and do it better than before. It was worth the money.

It was no small thing; the difference between the 9800Pro and the 7800GS is very noticeable and very enjoyable.

stansdds
05-25-2007, 05:42 AM
You might be able to overclock that AMD 3000 and gain a few fps and get smoother game play as well. As for the video card, the 7800's are good and would likely be a good match for the AMD 3000. Driver support for the 7800's is excellent, as opposed to the 7950GT which Nvidia rarely supports. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif