PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Ubi Flight Sim

deadlyfireww2
04-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Is the up and coming ubi xbox flight sim a 1cmaddox production or something else. I know that you guys in here dont like to hear that. But if you dont bring more people into your sims they will die out.

deadlyfireww2
04-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Is the up and coming ubi xbox flight sim a 1cmaddox production or something else. I know that you guys in here dont like to hear that. But if you dont bring more people into your sims they will die out.

fherathras
04-11-2005, 10:31 AM
nothing like that coming up, no.

Jetbuff
04-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Can we please stop with the "the sky is falling" comments?

Yes simming is a smaller niche than say FPSs or RPGs but there are also pluses:

- The flight sim crowd is, on average, older. Hence more disposable income and therfore more buying power per individual. Just look at what we spend for our rigs...

- Sure, demand is low, however, the supply is commensurately low. When launching a flight sim, a developer only has to compete with 1 or 2 other titles at most and, sim-starved as we are, chances are 90% of the community will purchase any new release. Compare that with how many FPS's you'd have to compete with for shelf space.

- Thanks to years of neglect and sub-standard support, (has improved lately) we are far more accommodating with regards to quality - no we don't accept silently and are not any less demanding than any other genre's community, but even griping and moaning we still spend the money.

- Cost for advertising is likely lower due to the more tightly knit community. Word-of-mouth is how IL-2 first made it big - I bought it that way myself.

The only real hitch is the higher investment required to develop a good flight sim and the recent **** from trademark holders. Not many are willing to risk that much money or the headache. Thank God for Oleg. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Adding more **** titles does not help the genre at all - and don't tell me an Xbox sim can be anything else. They are just as likely to turn away prospective simmers as attract them. I'll take quality over quantity any day.