PDA

View Full Version : Siclian airfields for Malta campaign

ordway
02-25-2006, 12:52 PM
I have now seen the layout of two Sicilian airfields (Castelvetrano and Biscari) for a Malta campaign on the Internet as well as in the book "The War in the Air" by Gurney.

Biscari airfield shows an enormous general rectangular (more square) dirt area that is the wholw airfield. Castelvetrano has a grass oval-square configuration with a dirt landing strip in the middle. Inside the racetrack around the strip is parking. Off the racetrack pattern, are short straight taxiways ending in blast pens.

I think Bird Brain's brilliant Faith, Hope Charity (FHC) Malta campaign based on the Hawaii map can easily have Kauai turned into Sicily.

Kauai is in real life north by northwest of Hawaii ("Malta" in his campaign). Sicily was actually so huge it was actually north, north west and northwest all at the same time of Malta...so it fits.

Right now, Birdbrain's campaign only has airstarts for lack of a "Sicily"....interesting possibilities!

ordway
02-25-2006, 12:52 PM
I have now seen the layout of two Sicilian airfields (Castelvetrano and Biscari) for a Malta campaign on the Internet as well as in the book "The War in the Air" by Gurney.

Biscari airfield shows an enormous general rectangular (more square) dirt area that is the wholw airfield. Castelvetrano has a grass oval-square configuration with a dirt landing strip in the middle. Inside the racetrack around the strip is parking. Off the racetrack pattern, are short straight taxiways ending in blast pens.

I think Bird Brain's brilliant Faith, Hope Charity (FHC) Malta campaign based on the Hawaii map can easily have Kauai turned into Sicily.

Kauai is in real life north by northwest of Hawaii ("Malta" in his campaign). Sicily was actually so huge it was actually north, north west and northwest all at the same time of Malta...so it fits.

Right now, Birdbrain's campaign only has airstarts for lack of a "Sicily"....interesting possibilities!