PDA

View Full Version : Pacific fighters: demand on memory etc

fluke39
12-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Hi everyone

i recently got a copy of PF of a friend as i couldn't resist trying out a few of the new planes (the good old beau for one! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif - (don't get me wrong cause i'm going to be getting the original for christmas)

however i found i have really, really bad freezes( even when just on the menu etc). i have a Gforce 2 card (ahem) yet this was always sufficient to let me run FB on top settings - PF still freezes if i set it to 16 bit (from 32 for FB)

Is this quite a well known thing?(PF takes more memory etc that is) -
i must admit even though i turned the graphics down they still look very good.
if this is the case what would happen if i installed it as part of FB? would it make that freeze up too?

fluke39
12-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Hi everyone

i recently got a copy of PF of a friend as i couldn't resist trying out a few of the new planes (the good old beau for one! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif - (don't get me wrong cause i'm going to be getting the original for christmas)

however i found i have really, really bad freezes( even when just on the menu etc). i have a Gforce 2 card (ahem) yet this was always sufficient to let me run FB on top settings - PF still freezes if i set it to 16 bit (from 32 for FB)

Is this quite a well known thing?(PF takes more memory etc that is) -
i must admit even though i turned the graphics down they still look very good.
if this is the case what would happen if i installed it as part of FB? would it make that freeze up too?

PBNA-Boosher
12-13-2004, 12:51 PM
ANOTHER GeFORCE 2 BUDDY!

Awesome!

How old's your computer??
Mine is 8 years old, soon to be 9!

fluke39
12-13-2004, 04:36 PM
Erm, not as old as that - well i have 2 copmuters one mine and one shared - unfortunately both have virtually the same GeForce 2 cards. One we got around christmas 2001, my personal one - with which i'm having the problems is probably from around 2000 ( i got it around 4-5 months ago)

i guess the question i was asking in my original post was - is PF more demanding on the system than FB? from the way my PC performs i would say yes (unless i made a set up botch) if this is true i am just glad i didn't install it as an add on as i may have rendered FB unplayable too (though i was waiting until i get my own copy at christmas too do something like that)

crazyivan1970
12-13-2004, 04:49 PM
How much memory do you have in your PC mate

Weather_Man
12-13-2004, 06:57 PM
Yes, it's more demanding (merged install). It uses 150-200MB more RAM than FB does on average. Typically in the 800MB range for total system memory usage.

Xiolablu3
12-14-2004, 01:12 AM
He has 256mb, Your Geforce 2 isnt even a 'proper' geforce 2 Fluke39, its a Geforce 2 MX.

You need a newer graphics card, at least a geforce 3 or Radeon 8500/9200 to play smoothly.

I might be able to help you.