PDA

View Full Version : Hydrophone: No contacts?

SickbayTiffy
04-06-2005, 04:13 PM
I installed 1.2.

Since I left port and 10 days into patrol I have yet to get a sound contact.

I stop every hour and go to per depth and scan but nothing. Should I be worried that the hydrophone isn't working or do I only have bad luck? Im in DH35, smack in the middle of numerous convoy routes west of Gib - Jul 41.

SickbayTiffy
04-06-2005, 04:13 PM
I installed 1.2.

Since I left port and 10 days into patrol I have yet to get a sound contact.

I stop every hour and go to per depth and scan but nothing. Should I be worried that the hydrophone isn't working or do I only have bad luck? Im in DH35, smack in the middle of numerous convoy routes west of Gib - Jul 41.

CCIP
04-06-2005, 04:46 PM
In 1.2, hydrophones don't work on the surface - which is accurate because the receptors are on the sub's deck! You have to submerge to hear anything.

Otherwise, it must be luck. Their range is only something like 20 miles...

PsychoFritz
04-06-2005, 04:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CCIP:
In 1.2, hydrophones don't work on the surface - which is accurate because the receptors are on the sub's deck! You have to submerge to hear anything.

Otherwise, it must be luck. Their range is only something like 20 miles... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say its just luck since its a dynamic campaign. I've gone partols without finding anything....but earlier in the war (1939).

axeman3d
04-06-2005, 04:56 PM
You now have to go a minimum of 10 metres deep to have a hope of hearing anything, and it's now recommended you go 20 metres or deeper for proper hydrophone reception. It's a pain, but it's more realistic.

Johnny_JG2
04-06-2005, 05:43 PM
You can hear contacts out to about 30km by listening and scanning manually. The sonarman will classify the contacts automatically anywhere from 10-20km usually.

Frederf220
04-06-2005, 05:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CCIP:

Otherwise, it must be luck. Their range is only something like 20 miles... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

20km more like it... AND NOT ALL THE HYDROPHONES ARE ON DECK! SOME ARE ON THE LOWER HULL.

SickbayTiffy
04-06-2005, 06:01 PM
I AM submerged and doing the hydrophone manually! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But I am at periscope depth. I'll try going to 25m from now on.

It's been 14 days at see and no sound contact now. I went closer to Gib and was being harrased by aircraft. .. Maybe ships have disappeared?

NaturalBornGoth
04-06-2005, 06:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Johnny_JG2:
The sonarman will classify the contacts automatically anywhere from 10-20km usually. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine doesn't. At least not on 100% realism (or 92% cause i won't lose the external cam). The only thing that tells me that a contact may be around is the time compression dropping to 8 all of a sudden. Sometimes when that happens, i find a contact when checking on the hydrophone personally, but sometimes i don't and go about my buisness again.

But that guy NEVER reports contacts on his own. He did when i still had contacts shown on the map, though.