PDA

View Full Version : OT wouldnt be mirror suits better to find out lost pilots?

raaaid
08-17-2006, 09:26 AM
i heard the shinny metallic p51 could be seen from a distance of hundreds of km

why astronauts and pilots use orange suits when they could use mirror like suits seenable from much farther

i just can think of conspiracy theories to explain this because i think its a fact that a mirror suit will be much easier to find than an orange one

i may ask my survival teacher about this but i rather not to look stupid, hey maybe nasa didnt think about this when designing the orange suits

and its the same for survival boats, they are orange not mirrorlike

psijager got me paranoid with his answer of atlanteans for shinny fashion

triad773
08-17-2006, 09:30 AM
Toward the end of the war, the Army brass felt that painting aircraft just added weight and was unecessary as the allies were winning anyway. It is also my understanding that pilots were equiped with a small mirror to signal rescue crew with if they were downed. Had anyone else heard the latter?

berg417448
08-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Mirrors suits would just make a reflection. When you are out searching you see many reflections off of natural objects or the ocean and you will not automatically identify it as a missing pilot. A bright orange suit is much easier to identify since it is a color not often found in nature.

Chuck_Older
08-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by triad773:
Toward the end of the war, the Army brass felt that painting aircraft just added weight and was unecessary as the allies were winning anyway. It is also my understanding that pilots were equiped with a small mirror to signal rescue crew with if they were downed. Had anyone else heard the latter?

Yes, I have. A mirror would have been part of the escape kit

Nowadays I should think a GPS transponder would be superior to a shiny silver set of clothes http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Grue_
08-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Wouldn't the pilot would be blinded in the cockpit by the sun reflecting off his shiny suit?

Raaaid, ever read Hitchhiker's?

"He got lynched by a rampaging mob of respectable physicists who had finally realized that the one thing they really couldn't stand was a smart arse".

WB_Outlaw
08-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by raaaid:
i may ask my survival teacher about this but i rather not to look stupid, hey maybe nasa didnt think about this when designing the orange suits

That's it. A "survival" teacher? There is no real raaaid. It's Oleg be sure!

--Outlaw.

Pirschjaeger
08-17-2006, 10:21 AM
psijager got me paranoid with his answer of atlanteans for shinny fashion

You should never have publicly admitted to knowing about the Atlanteans' P-51s. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

The shiny people are watching you Raaaid. You can run but you cannot hide. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Fritz

Pirschjaeger
08-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Nowadays I should think a GPS transponder would be superior to a shiny silver set of clothes http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

How about a shiny GPS transponder, just incase there's a power failure. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Fritz

triad773
08-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Just remember what happened to TOBOR in movie The Day The Earth Stood Still. He was wearing one!

ned7777
08-17-2006, 10:32 AM
the reason might be that for a pilot a mirror suit might atract too much attention from the enemy if he crashed and the resuce personel use orange because mirror and silver is hard to see because of low light levels in storms when they need to see and be seen. and astro nauts for ditto reason.

p1ngu666
08-17-2006, 10:42 AM
ya, i think mirrors where part of the kit, there actully much more effective than ud think

raaaid
08-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Mirrors suits would just make a reflection. When you are out searching you see many reflections off of natural objects or the ocean and you will not automatically identify it as a missing pilot. A bright orange suit is much easier to identify since it is a color not often found in nature

Mirrors suits would just make a reflection. When you are out searching you see many reflections off of natural objects or the ocean and you will not automatically identify it as a missing pilot. A bright orange suit is much easier to identify since it is a color not often found in nature.

thanks a lot you convinced me but still im seeing the sea from here and not a single glitter in its inmensity, must depend on position with respect to the sun but still i hadnt thought of that thanks again, i supose no conspiracies

but have another question why not mirror orange?

that would be unmatchable by nature

cmw1980
08-17-2006, 11:45 AM
It really is a conspiracy! If they used mirror suits, the rescue teams wouldnt be able to read the minds of downed pilots (the tinfoil hat effect) to find them. It is a double edged sword of course, it would help stop them falling into enemy hands.

HitchHikerHSDWG
08-17-2006, 01:02 PM
About the tiny mirrors for signaling rescuers. I've had one since I was a young boyscout its a tiny 2"x4" mirror with a small hole in it. Not only could it be used for signaling it could also be used as for shaving, brushing teeth and I wont even say the perfect use for it during the 80s with a razor blade! Fortunately I never used it that last way!

Akronnick
08-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Grue_:
Wouldn't the pilot would be blinded in the cockpit by the sun reflecting off his shiny suit?

Raaaid, ever read Hitchhiker's?

"He got lynched by a rampaging mob of respectable physicists who had finally realized that the one thing they really couldn't stand was a smart arse".

Don't EVEN get raaaid started on the infinite improbability drive.

ploughman
08-17-2006, 02:24 PM
In the HHGTTG vein...'Its fundamental design flaws were obscured by its cosmetic design flaws.'

StellarRat
08-17-2006, 02:57 PM
Just remember what happened to TOBOR in movie The Day The Earth Stood Still. He was wearing one! You mean GORT the robot or his "master" Klaatu?. TOBOR was in a Disney movie.

Akronnick
08-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Ploughman:
In the HHGTTG vein...'Its fundamental design flaws were obscured by its cosmetic design flaws.'

Leave CFS3 out of this http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Waldo.Pepper
08-17-2006, 05:45 PM
This whole topic has reminded me of a discussion I had with a well meaning friend over twenty years ago.

His name was Murray. And he had heard that after the soon to happen nuclear war that the cockroaches would be one of the few living creatures that would do rather better than the rest of us.

So poor Murrey was going to make a suit that was covered in cockroaches so that their "enhanced survival attributes" would protect him as well.

I wonder if poor ol' Murray is alive still.

Viper2005_
08-17-2006, 06:31 PM
On the ground we rely upon the atmosphere to cool us down via convection. Remove the atmosphere and radiation becomes the only mechanism for heat rejection.

Astronaughts were clad in silver (and are clad in white today) in order to reflect solar radiation. Otherwise they'd cook if exposed to the sun.

Test pilots wear orange because it's a high-vis colour.

Soviet Cosmonaughts initially used orange space suits because they weren't going to space walk, but were going to eject from their capsules and needed to be seen clearly for helicopter recovery from the depths of Siberia...

NHawk52
08-17-2006, 07:34 PM

Wow, you just brought back some memories... Yep, they had a mirror for sure. I used to play with one as a kid that I'd gotten from my dad. Memory is distorted now, but I feel it was around 4"x3", relatively thick, and had a small unmirrored cross-hair area in the center for aiming thru. I used to signal my playmates down the block with it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Thanks for the memories!

WB_Outlaw
08-17-2006, 10:31 PM
It is also my understanding that pilots were equiped with a small mirror to signal rescue crew with if they were downed. Had anyone else heard the latter?

My wife and I both carry signal mirrors when we scuba dive. In the water with all your kit, even 50 yards is a VERY long way, especially in rough seas and/or strong currents. Throw in 15' visibility (which isn't bad in some places) and it's real easy to get real lost real quick. You can aim the mirrors quite accurately through the hole in the middle (although you don't just look through it at your target).

--Outlaw.

Dew-Claw
08-18-2006, 12:45 AM
I don't need a shiney suit, nor a mirror.

My tin-foil hat serves the same function AND keeps the mind control rays at bay.

raaaid
08-18-2006, 02:50 AM
the well you see an object depends on background colour but also on light intensity

an orange mirror suit will reflect 99% of the light while a cotton one i guess just a 20%, so against the same background the orange mirror suit will be seen with 5 times more intensity or 5 times farther

that for a cloudy day on a sunny day it will reflect the sun the same way than a survival mirror with an distinguishable orange glitter

this is odd for me and almost no one is giving a correct answer for its not being used mirror suits

its the same for space walks on the parts of the suit exposed to sunlight it reaches temperatures of 300ºC and in the shadowy ones -100ºC, why dont they use mirror suits like fire fighter ones that reflect 99.9% of the radiant heat the only one present in space

so we have better protection for heat than the white ones and better visivilty than the orange ones

my question remains why nasa doesnt use orange mirror suits for optimal visivility and heat protection?

and guys weve been to the moon now would be cool to look futuristic

Capt.LoneRanger
08-18-2006, 02:58 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Great thread!

I was just thinking of a spaceman leaving his shuttle, waving to the cameras in a 70s saturday-night-glitter-suit. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

*groovy*

No, honestly, what would that be good for? The polished P51 were visible for a long distance, when the sun was reflected. Thinking about a pilot downed over rough land in dawn or over a forest, what would be the benefit of a reflective suit? Not even DARING to speak of the practical problems caused by the landing, which is by training a landing on the feet, followed by a full roll. All your shiny mirros were dirty 10 seconds after landing.

It might be usefull, though, to shy away wild animals. I guess a bear seeing himself in the mirror is quite impressed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Chuck_Older
08-18-2006, 09:01 AM
the well you see an object depends on background colour but also on light intensity

an orange mirror suit will reflect 99% of the light while a cotton one i guess just a 20%, so against the same background the orange mirror suit will be seen with 5 times more intensity or 5 times farther

that for a cloudy day on a sunny day it will reflect the sun the same way than a survival mirror with an distinguishable orange glitter

this is odd for me and almost no one is giving a correct answer for its not being used mirror suits

its the same for space walks on the parts of the suit exposed to sunlight it reaches temperatures of 300ºC and in the shadowy ones -100ºC, why dont they use mirror suits like fire fighter ones that reflect 99.9% of the radiant heat the only one present in space

so we have better protection for heat than the white ones and better visivilty than the orange ones

my question remains why nasa doesnt use orange mirror suits for optimal visivility and heat protection?

and guys weve been to the moon now would be cool to look futuristic

Where did you get that 99% refection number from??

raaaid
08-18-2006, 10:59 AM
my teacher on fire fighting told us that mirror suits reflected 99.9% of radiating heat (light)

i saw one it looks totally futuristic

i understand that survival boats are not mirror like because it is expensive but nasa...

heck i just want to wear a mirror like t shirt, nasa could help the fashion making mirror like suits, its not enough to know we went to the moon we have to show it off with funny futuristic clothes

i just got my chrome nikes and i feel like a child with new shoes i cant wait to get more shinny clothes

i also like black leather shinny pilot jackets though mine doesnt shine any more but still very cool

Pirschjaeger
08-18-2006, 11:31 AM
You might wanna x-ray the soles of those shiny nikes for hidden transponders.

The shiny Atlantean people are very tricky,..... oh yes, very tricky. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Fritz

DuxCorvan
08-18-2006, 02:13 PM
I think that pilots should be gorgeous female models in bikini. That way, they would immediately attract the attention of male searchers. They should also carry a pepper spray to prevent being assaulted by their rescuers.

ploughman
08-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
I think that pilots should be gorgeous female models in bikini. That way, they would immediately attract the attention of male searchers. They should also carry a pepper spray to prevent being assaulted by their rescuers.

That makes alot of sense from a female point of view, get virtually naked so as to attract the guys but get viciously hostile when they show up.

It's rather like the perplexing female trait of wearing skirts that make belts look wide and then giving one a filthy look when one's eyes are drawn to the exposed thigh thus exhorbatantly revealed.

Les femmes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif