PDA

View Full Version : How can I turn off my rudder?

ganondorf29
03-08-2005, 05:22 PM
I want to know if I can turn of the rudder or twist part of my joystick for all my games mainly because its inaccurate and I'm not to good with working with the mapping using Logitech profiler. Any kind of help would be nice, thanks

ImpStarDuece
03-08-2005, 05:27 PM
The question is, do you really want to? It may be inaccurate but I think you will find it better than nothing at all. Playing without rudder control will put you at a serious disadvantage. Co-ordination in turns and climbs is a LOT more difficult without it. Last minute gunnery solutions are usually very dependent on rudder, as are evasive maneuvers like the barrel roll, rolling scissors or a sliding hammerhead.

If your determined to play with no rudder try going into your joystick settings and reducing the sensitivity to 0 for that particular axis. Its usually the 'Z' axis, I think. You could also zero the rudder sensitivity in the config.ini

LeadSpitter_
03-08-2005, 06:43 PM
just go to the inputs section and for yaw put in a couple zeros

10 20 30 40 50 --- 100

put in 0 0 0 3 --- 100 on a gradual incline.

Hope that helps a bit if you cant afford a new joystick.

steve_v
03-08-2005, 07:01 PM
http://www.geocities.com/g8tr45/cookie.txt

LeadSpitter_
03-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Pl├┬Ątzchen Pl├┬Ątzchen Pl├┬Ątzchen Pl├┬Ątzchen

JR_Greenhorn
03-08-2005, 07:46 PM
I can't remember how everything is laid out in the controls screen, but you could try to re-bind the rudder controls so that the twist joystick input isn't assigned to anything.

heywooood
03-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Ctrl+E

The_Presz
03-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Quadruple bypass. That will take the twist out of your stick.

altstiff
03-08-2005, 09:30 PM
I think it would be a grave mistake to remove the rudder.

LEXX_Luthor
03-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Get some 40$ racing pedals. I could never hit any targets ground or air until I got racing pedals--flight sim pedals for the working class.

Pedals plug into racing wheel, racing wheel plugs into USB port. Set wheel facing down on the floor so it won't roll around.

My pedals came with no software. Easy setup. The only minor problem is the pedals displaced joystick to USB device #2, this took a little re~configuring in my "conf" file...back up your "conf" file first...you should have it backed up already.

TooCooL34
03-08-2005, 10:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
Get some 40$ racing pedals. I could never hit any targets ground or air until I got racing pedals--flight sim pedals for the working class.

Pedals plug into racing wheel, racing wheel plugs into USB port. Set wheel facing down on the floor so it won't roll around.

My pedals came with no software. Easy setup. The only minor problem is the pedals displaced joystick to USB device #2, this took a little re~configuring in my "conf" file...back up your "conf" file first...you should have it backed up already. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Using Racing Pedals for rudder input.. done that before, but that's just not right!(and not fun either compared to proper a/c rudder pedals)

I saw many friend virtual pilots who said rudder was not for them after using racing pedals.

Tully__
03-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Unlike some other sims (MS Flight Sim series for example) in the IL2 series we don't have an "auto rudder" mode. You'll have to learn to use it.

F19_Ob
03-09-2005, 02:59 AM
Removing the rudder will hamper your combat performance.
Its useful in all stages of flight and very much so in combat.

U can set the sensitivity down a bit in the games settings.
For the rudder pull down the 3 first sliders to zero and the rest on a soft or slightly downcurved climbing scale.
Better? if not pull down the 4th slider to zero also. When u get used to the rudder u may want to make it more sensitive again but by setting it down like this you wont yaw unpurposly because its too sensitive.

-------------------------

Explanation:

Rudder in combat can be used in various ways but the usual is to correct the aim on short ranges and to use the swinging motion to hose the enemy with bullets.
It can be used to swing the nose in slow speed in a climb after an enemy with better energy and thus enable more snapshots at him.
It also can be used as a lighter brake and to look behind the tail.
If an enemy is firing after U from long range u can use slight rudder to make him miss and at the same time be able to keep an eye on him.

Using rudder in a hard turn can be dangerous especially in slow speeds and can cause some planes to spinn (p40 example).
In very close fights rudder can throw an enemy off aim because it may add yet another dimension to make deflection harder.
Especially in climbing fights where the enemy sees U but not the ground as reference, the use of rudder may disorient your attacker.

A few thoughts.

ganondorf29
03-09-2005, 03:23 PM
The thing is I'm not playing IL-2 or any other flight sim at the moment. Im waiting to get my X-52. I was just playing some soccer and it was getting annoying because it wouldnt let me shoot the ball.

Cold_Gambler
03-09-2005, 03:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steve_v:
http://www.geocities.com/g8tr45/cookie.txt <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe... ah, the memories... Thanks for the smile http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Philipscdrw
03-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Hmm, I find it is easily possible to fly Il-2 with no rudder at all, just using the pedals to align the gunsight when necessary, and to maintain the centreline on takeoff...

Which is putting me at a disadvantage when I try to fly a glider, because IRL, in the PZL Bocian, you really need full rudder and half an inch of ailerons to start a 30-degree bank turn...