PDA

View Full Version : Dornier Do-335 destructive power

DROBNJAK1960
11-01-2009, 02:37 AM
I am new to the game and I am still practicing proper shooting and so on. I tried all the planes like Spits, P-38 and eventual Do335. I thought, plane has two engines, but the roll rate of the single engine planes, it must be good.

Well, it turned out Do335 is unbelievable. Flies fast, climbs fast etc, more like a jet.

Q1: Is Do335 'legal in online forums?

Another thing was, when I shoot at a bomber from a Spit, it takes lots and lots of hits before one brings He-111 down. But with Do-335, its like with lasers, just a touch and the whole bomber (A20 in this case) disintegrates into a pieces. Crew even doesn't need to jump out, they just suddenly find themselves in the air.

Q2: Are the guns of Do-335 a little bit enthusiastically over-simulated or are they somehow historically accurate?

Waldo.Pepper
11-01-2009, 02:54 AM

This is a question requesting an opinion. Not in my opinion.

Q2: Are the guns of Do-335 a little bit enthusiastically over-simulated or are they somehow historically accurate?

They're fine.

Sillius_Sodus
11-01-2009, 02:56 AM
Hello DROBNJAK1960,

If the server includes it in the plane set, then the DO-335 is certainly legal though you don't see them too often online. If it's there, by all means have at her with it.

The Pfeil has cannons, which goes a long way to explain why you can vaporize aircraft so easily.

PanzerAce
11-01-2009, 04:32 AM

Huh? It's part of IL2:46 vanilla....

They're accurate. You're trying to compare a plane with a pair of 20mms (with low ammo), and some spit wads to a plane with a pair of 20mms with LOTS of ammo, and a high velocity 30mm (or three, in the case of the other Do335 version).

Here's a hint though: don't practice with the 335, you won't learn were to aim for the most impact.

M_Gunz
11-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Hit from Mk103 is like 4+ 20mm. What to expect that with 2 151/20's? D0-335 is a major gunship.

Choctaw111
11-01-2009, 07:46 AM
The destructive power of an MK103 is several times greater than any 20mm of the time. It has a very high velocity and a more than generous amount of HE.
Even one hit from one of these can bring down a plane.

VW-IceFire
11-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by DROBNJAK1960:
I am new to the game and I am still practicing proper shooting and so on. I tried all the planes like Spits, P-38 and eventual Do335. I thought, plane has two engines, but the roll rate of the single engine planes, it must be good.

Well, it turned out Do335 is unbelievable. Flies fast, climbs fast etc, more like a jet.

Another thing was, when I shoot at a bomber from a Spit, it takes lots and lots of hits before one brings He-111 down. But with Do-335, its like with lasers, just a touch and the whole bomber (A20 in this case) disintegrates into a pieces. Crew even doesn't need to jump out, they just suddenly find themselves in the air.

Q1: Not sure what you mean. Its an aircraft in the game. If the server allows that plane to be flown then yes of course its "legal". The Do-335 isn't without its faults... there is no perfect airplane. Especially in air combat. The Do-335 is a fine example of a destroyer aircraft which is best suited to attack missions and bomber intercepts.

Q2: They are pretty much right. The Do-335A-0 has a pair of MG151/20 cannons (20mm) which are common throughout the German fighter lineup. These are arguably the most effective 20mm cannons (a toss up between the 151/20 and the Hispano II/V) available in WWII. But the real power is the MK103 30mm cannon which if you compare versus the MK108 30mm cannon has a couple of advantages including a MUCH larger cartridge (its a bigger shell being fired) and a much faster muzzle velocity (so when the shot hits the target its going much faster). This is a very large cannon that cannot really fit effectively on smaller aircraft but it is well suited to the 335.

Its not the largest cannon on a fighter in WWII either... the Yak-9K, a much smaller aircraft, has a 45mm cannon for instance. So its not totally off the wall. Its not really pratical for fighter vs fighter combat or for fitting in tight installations (smaller aircraft) which is why you don't find it elsewhere.

Wildnoob
11-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by DROBNJAK1960:

Why should not be?

A arcade "completly match" planeset is not used by everyone.

I respect your view, but many players enjoy a lot the simulation mode. So, like in RL pilot's could face superior enemy planes. The sim was made to represent this as well.

By the way, if you have a Corsair or P-51 and are figthing a Zero or Ki-43, well, the situation is much worse for the Japanese aircrafts rather then the Spitfire oponents you mentioned. Because they are much more slow and have other significative disadvantages like dive speed.

I'm not being rude by ask this, belive, but do you also are in doubt if the high power allied aircraft should be 'legal' in pacific missions against Japanese early war models as well?

Oleg already stated that he never artificially modelate planes to make them competitive.

If a plane has superior speed at least according to Oleg's avaliable data for example, it gonna have it.

RSS-Martin
11-01-2009, 11:48 AM
+10 Wildnoob!

As those questions usually only arrise when allied aircraft might be at a disadvantage, but next to never when axis planes are at a disadvantage.

Just like the plane setting on many servers where you have 1944 or 1945 allied fighters against 1941 axis bombers, anyone really seriously think that is fair? It is only just not mentioned.

Xiolablu3
11-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Ukdedicated 2 server uses it in a few late war scenarios vs the Yak3 and Yak9U.

Its awesome because you carry a 2000kg bomb internally, and it can be used as a great B&Z fighter after you have pounded the ground targets. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Is it legal? IMO That all depends on the opposition placed on the map, if the planeset is balanced, then use it.