PDA

View Full Version : Which Should I Get First

Wispah
09-06-2008, 11:18 AM
From reading posts on here regarding hardware, it seems like a pretty great setup would be:

CH Fighter Stick (or Cougar stick and throttle bundle)
CH Pro Throttle (or Cougar stick and throttle bundle)
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Currently, my only piece of flight sim equipment is a Saitek Cyborg Evo.

TrackIR is 120. Pedals are 100. Throttle and stick are either 200 or 150 depending on whether I go CH or Cougar. I figure I can spend 150 at most right now. So what is the first thing I should get?

I am of course open to other suggestions, these are just the things that I gather to be the best from reading the forums.

Thanks!

stathem
09-06-2008, 11:27 AM
TrackIr - NFT

Deedsundone
09-06-2008, 11:48 AM
I would go for a TIR first,then pedals and last stick and throttle.TIR and pedal relly changed it to the better altough I had my doubts at first http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gifDid fine with twist stick and POV hat but now I would not get back to that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

TIR 3 Pro,Saitek pedals,Saitek Aviator,thats my flying gear,not the fanciest but suits me fine.

idonno
09-06-2008, 11:53 AM
TrackIR first.
Pedals second.
Upgrade your stick and throttle third.

In my "humble" opinion. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Stingray333
09-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Deedsundone:
I would go for a TIR first,then pedals and last stick and throttle.TIR and pedal relly changed it to the better altough I had my doubts at first http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gifDid fine with twist stick and POV hat but now I would not get back to that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

TIR 3 Pro,Saitek pedals,Saitek Aviator,thats my flying gear,not the fanciest but suits me fine.

+1, I recommend the same order of getting gear

1.) TrackIR... absolutely essential. [Deleted for legal reasons]. There are a few quotes from Robert Shaw's book, I can't remember them exactly but they are along the lines of: The enemy you see can't hurt you, and He who spots his enemy first wins. Having the vision and situational awareness provided by TrackIR is *essential*

2.) The rudder pedals really take your flying to another level. Using the "twist" rudder on your joystick requires the clenching of the forearm and results in a "white knuckle death grip" on the stick, by using the rudder pedals you can get a much loser gentler touch on the stick, and I found my aim went way up (and my arm stopped getting tired!). Also, using the twist rudder pedal enforces a sort of "synchronicity" between your inputs, for some maneuvers, like level rolls, you need to change your aileron, elevator and rudder input at different times in the maneuver, having the twist rudder enforces actions that are synchronized... i.e. twisting the rudder as you move the stick to the side.

3.) Get a good stick and throttle HOTAS system.... cougar, CH, Saitek X-52(pro), do your research and pick the one that you like best. I have the X-52 pro, works great for me. Maybe do some research before you get the pedals... For example, I knew I wanted the X-52 pro, so decided to get saitek pedals (even though I hear they are a little less robust than the CH pedals) just because they use the same programming software... just something to think about

What ever stick/throttle you get, learn to use it properly! There is programming software that comes with it that lets you set various modes and keystrokes to the buttons rather than programming it all in-game.

4.) Last but not least, a throttle quadrant still is useful if you have the scratch: I found it nice to have a separate piece of gear to have the trim mapped to those big easy to move throttle levers to really dial in the right trim, and some switches for prop pitch, mixture, super charger, etc

My gear path went: Saitek AV8R for a few months, then got TrackIR 4, then got the X-52 pro, then mutilated the AV8R and turned it into a throttle quadrant, then Saitek rudder pedals. Once you get setup... its awesome

Stingray

idonno
09-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Be sure to get the TrackIR 4, not the 3.

The 3 doesn't support 6 DOF which works in current sims like MSFS and the up-coming Storm of War and Rise of Flight.

Dustysquareback
09-06-2008, 12:53 PM
I use Freetrack and can say it works great. So, that knocks one high price off the list. I've heard pedals are the next most important thing from a lot of pilots.

I've also heard that, even though CH quality in general is very high, that the Saitek pedals are much better because they have a nice wide stance, and an adjustable tension. The CH pedals are very narrow and many find them uncomfortable.

Good luck!

Von_Rat
09-06-2008, 01:05 PM
agree with what they said.

track 1st, then pedals, then stick, then throttle.

Bearcat99
09-06-2008, 02:17 PM
I would say

TIR
Pedals
Throttle
Stick

In that order. Unless you decide to go with saitek all the way, in which case I would say

TIR
Pedals
X-52 Pro

Originally posted by idonno:
Be sure to get the TrackIR 4, not the 3.

The 3 doesn't support 6 DOF which works in current sims like MSFS and the up-coming Storm of War and Rise of Flight.

The 3 does support 6DoF.. I believe it is the two that does not.

stathem
09-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Certainly the TIR3Pro does, don't know about the regular 3

Stingray333
09-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Interesting how everyone here is consistently saying to get pedals before stick/throttle, I didn't expect that, I thought it would be split between half saying get stick/throttle first, and half saying pedals first.

I decided to get the stick and throttle first, and I definitely would like to have gotten the rudder pedals first, as I have spent the last month "unlearning" and now "learning"

gdfo
09-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Get the stick and throttle first. Learn to use them well before adding anything else.

Trak IR is a well known cheat, it is ok to get but if you use it online, you will get warts in uncomforatable places. Your hair will fall out.
People will snicker at you behind your back. If god wanted you to see that way he would have invented curved monitors.

When you get rudder pedals there will probably be an adjustment time as it is quite different from twist sticks.

Aaron_GT
09-06-2008, 03:17 PM

You can get 6dof with tir 3 with an optional extra expansion, which is what I have.

Dgirth
09-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Wispah

Hi Wispah.

I made a mistake on buying my gear.

First i got

1 X52 Stick+Throttle
2 The the Saitek peddles
3 trackIR

Now i really wish i bought the TrackIR first followed by the peddles, I know the x52 is not the best stick but after spending 120 on TIR and 65 on the peddles i did not have much to spend. I got a real bargain on the x52 45 on this weeks offer on overclockcers.com

The X52 throttle is very good indeed the stick is decent but im not sure if it will last long, Though i know some forums users have had them for a couple of years with no probs.

I think i will buy a CH stick when i have more money to go with X52 throttle as i believe you can have them rigged together.

Now TIR is utterly and completely changed the game for me, Though im still a nugget TIR has made so many espects of IL-2 better. I will always recommed buying TIR first.

The Saitek peddles i use have made my dog fighting easier , IE leading the target and aiming.

Hope this helps you decide Wispah, Good luck in the skys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WTE_Galway
09-08-2008, 07:45 AM
TIR first

then pedals

BrotherVoodoo
09-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Get TIR first!!!!!
BTW the TIR3 does not support 6d0f, TIR3Pro with Vector expansion does support 6dof.

F19_Orheim
09-08-2008, 08:50 AM
tir, pedals, stick period