PDA

View Full Version : Question

dirtdigger54
07-07-2007, 05:14 AM
I'm looking to fly, but I dont really have 400 dollars laying around for TrackIR and pedals. I think I want to fly full realism. I have the Complete edition, but friends tell me I need 46' to "get into the game."

I guess what I need to know is:

Can I fly and at least be a bit more competition to others and fly 100 % real, if I don't get Track IR?

I have yet to buy the 1946 game, will I need it too or will my other game be ok and I'm just missing times that it flys in hyperlobby?

I realize some have jioned virtual squadrons... I'm not sure I would be much use to an organized game society... do I have to jion to play, or is it just recommended?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I really only have Saturday evenings to fly, and although I enjoy the game, I think I'd like to try against another human being.

Thanks in advance.

DD

GIAP.Shura
07-07-2007, 05:38 AM
First things, first. Neither TrackIR nor pedals are a necessity. They make flying much more fun and immersive but you can have plenty of fun without them. It is possible to fly with just a simple joystick but I think that a joystick with a twist stick or rocker for rudder input is the minimum you should have.

It will be very hard to fly online without 1946. It has really helped things a lot because it has united the community under one standard version meaning more opportunities and opponents to fly against. If you look around I'm sure you can find it fairly cheaply somewhere. Offline, there is very little difference between the two versions.

Squadrons can really increase your enjoyment of the game and most (but not all) squadrons are pretty friendly to novice pilots. If it something you are thinking about, have a look around the Squadrons forum. There are many different types which operate in different ways, some requiring more commitment than others. Just make sure you are honest with the CO about what you can offer and what you expect.

T_O_A_D
07-07-2007, 08:08 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Also look into these folks.
http://www.joint-ops.com/joil2fb/default.asp

Zeus-cat
07-07-2007, 08:48 AM
One key to survival online is to fly as a part of a group. This doesn't have to be a group of people you know; it can be a group that you form when you get online. Flying "lone wolf" gets you killed a lot faster online just like in real life.

ImMoreBetter
07-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Can I fly and at least be a bit more competition to others and fly 100 % real, if I don't get Track IR?

Sure. I fly without a TrackIR or pedals. And I've grown fairly efficient with the keyboard. You can also try to learn using the mouse with your free hand.

Skycat_2
07-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Most organized online activity has moved to the 1946 edition; that's why your friends are urging you to get 1946 to 'get in the game.' As you know, lower version numbers are not compatible with higher version numbers when online; I think the Complete Edition was released as 4.04m (or maybe 4.05m if it was a download that included the Pe-2 expansion) while 1946 is currently at 4.08m. That gap in version numbers represents the addition of many new planes and some new maps, plus some changes in the code.

One of the changes with 1946 is that the direct connection to the UbiSoft server was removed. I think this forced more people to use Hyperlobby, an excellent and free server. The good news is that you can join a pick-up game fairly easily without being part of a squadron; unfortunately most of these games are dogfight melees with little interest in historical realism. Organized squads are more likely to have missions with goals, rules of conduct, roles for each pilot, etc., but may only fly in closed rooms at scheduled times. I'm sure that if you ask around you can find a group that shares your schedule and interests.

I agree that you should have a good stick with rudder control. I've never had rudder pedals or TrackIR -- maybe it would make me a better pilot if I did, I don't know. However, after evolving from cheapo sticks, I now couldn't settle for a stick that does not have an eight-way HAT switch (for quick snap views), throttle control lever and rudder control built in.

BrotherVoodoo
07-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Regarding TIR. This thread talks about a less expensive alternative. http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5911048175
There are also free ones that work with your camera like Freelook.