PDA

View Full Version : The best game idea ever? Yes. Yes it is.

Epicurus_13
04-06-2006, 08:55 AM
All right Ubisoft, you can mail my cheque for royalties right now. I'm not too far from the Montreal office so you can send it regular mail. Why, you ask? Because after drinking and watching anime last night I came up with the best idea for a video game ever. Bear with me.

All right, we've got Splinter Cell. Basically the best stealth action game around. MGS is nice but gameplay and atmosphere wise I think it's not crazy to say the SC outshines it overall (At least I'm sure you at Ubisoft will agree.) Sam is a cool modern "ninja" figure, except that he trades the mysticality and fantasy of the ninja for a more gritty, down-to-earth kind of stealth experience. Maybe his gadgets are a bit extreme, and maybe he can do one or two fancy moves, but there's no magic sword in this game. What could expand the appeal of being a modern ninja in a game engine like this?

Being an ACTUAL ninja in a game engine like this.

The game I propose is this: No Tom Clancy license, this is still a game based on reality, but instead of the near future it is set in the past. In the Heyday of the actual ninja, in fact. You play as some ninja who must carry out missions of theft, assassination, and espionage in the midst of a nationwide war. Your "gadgets" are nothing but the semi-authentic tools of a historical ninja, and your abilities are impressive but not superhuman (more agile than Sam, but not a lot more). You kill with a short sword instead of a knife, you have flashier moves, you have a realistic grappling hook and flash/smoke bombs, a blowgun and/or shortbow, a strangling wire, lockpicks, climbing claws, Custom loadouts, et cetera. Think about it. Most games faturing ninja are so corny or over the top that they are good for a laugh, but fail to convey the "wow, this could be real" feeling characteristic of Splinter Cell. A game where you use tactics like those of Sam Fisher but starring a real ninja could be a huge draw.

The best part, though, is the multiplayer. Coop is awesome. I'm sure you can think of some of the coop moves yourself (and the tomoe nage is already a judo throw - perfect oriental flavour). While coop is nice, the new Versus is where it's at:

Ninjas vs. Samurai.

The ninjas are, much like the spies of current versus, stealthy, acrobatic, and focused on stealth and sometimes surprise attacks and confusion tactics. Their gadgets include marbles, shurken (stun effect), tripwires, flash and smokebombs, pepper bombs, etc. In close combat they use a variety of nonlethal attacks to stun the Samurai and escape or go for a rear or drop attack to finish things off.

The Samurai, like the Mercs, are heavily armed and armoured, with full Katanas and strongbows as well as spears, barbed arrows designed to slow the target, bleeder arrows, caltrops, alarm bell tripwires, lanterns which can be lit and extinguished. They possess deadly swords and are capable of a devastating charge attack which ends in a massive slash as well as sweeping swings to ward off nearby attackers (sound familiar?).

The ninja missions are assassination of important persons (NPCs in the level), theft of documents, placing gunpowder bombs on objectives, etc.

Water and swimming are present: Ninja can hide underwater and swim quite quickly, and also can use their blowguns as snorkels. Samurai can only swim for short periods in their armour and must be wary of drowning or of the deadly underwater attacks of the ninja. Entering water will disable certain items until the subject has been "dry" for 30 seconds or so in order to add a strategic element.

I'm not a huge "Japanese History" expert but I'm sure with a bit of research you can come up with dozens of ideas for this. Look me in the eye and tell me this has no potential as a spin off of the Splinter Cell style of gameplay.

Call me!

-Epicurus.

P.S: This letter is not really intended for Ubisoft - it is intended for you, the community. let me know what you think! I'm not as gung-ho on the idea as I sound above - that's all part of the act.

Globe.48
04-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Wowie. Veeery nice idea. I know sumthing about thievery but this sounds even better. It's not a copied ripoff from thief cause it's based on japanese characters and the like. And the way you described it, it sounds maybe even too much like versus http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Epicurus_13
04-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Globe.48:
And the way you described it, it sounds maybe even too much like versus http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Well, I was reading a history book once and I kept noticing the thematic similarity between Ninjas and Samurai and Spies and Marcs for Versus. It almost seems to me that, in retrospect, they based Versus off that concept in the first place...

EDIT:

I totally, agree, Quillian. I can only hope that the dev team would hire an old british lady to hit them with a cane every time they try to add something crazy.

quillan
04-06-2006, 11:22 AM
I have to admit I was suprised by this. I think this would make a pretty good game, if it was done correctly. However, I'm not sure it could be done correctly. You just KNOW they would ham it up and hollywood it all to hell and back again. If they don't do it realistically, all you get is a Ninja Gaiden clone.

GrImReApEr192
04-06-2006, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GrImReApEr192:
it does have potential...if ur really meaning to get this game out there you should actully put more intrest into it...althought the story line does sound kinda like Theif...it sounds very good though

Zedblade
04-06-2006, 03:55 PM
So its basically ripping off Thief and Tenchu for singleplayer. For Versus, it takes CT SvM and changes the skins, environments and tools. Yeah real good idea bud. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Best game idea ever? LOL!

Epicurus_13
04-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Zedblade:
So its basically ripping off Thief and Tenchu for singleplayer.

Well, I don't think that theif and Tenchu have the monopoly on "games set in history involving stealth". Also, thief = fantasy setting with magic and robots and demons (not to mention things like water arrows, moss arrows, etc.) Tenchu = awful graphics, anime-style combat (read: not realistic), magic grappling hook, awful graphics. There are some pretty significant differences between these two and what I'm proposing. More historical and realitic than theif (not to mention different setting) and more not atrociously bad than Tenchu (no hollywood combat, no magic grappling hook, graphics engine made after the NES). I think that those counts alone are enough to set it apart. The differences between Thief and Splinter Cell are legion - between Tenchu and Splinter Cell are... very big. I think the idea can work without being called "copying".

For Versus, it takes CT SvM and changes the skins, environments and tools. Yeah real good idea bud. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

How much do you really want Versus changed? I'm not a game designer here, but changing the skins, environments, and tools can amount to a new game. What else should I ask to have changed? the engine? fine, make a new engine. The basic concept is the thing I want to keep for obvious reasons so I don't see a problem here. If you don't think that it would ever be cool to have the same versus formula in a new setting with new gadgets/moves/environments/skins/mission objectives, I have to say I don't think you're in the majority here. My idea may not be perfect but you're saying here that something would be a bad game because it is too similar to Versus mode?

Best game idea ever? LOL!

See the part where I point out that the post is partly "an act". Also, you oughtn't to hurt your credibility by overusing LOL to express your opinion.

Just a cursory defence of my idea. You'll have to come up with some more interesting objections if you want to make me eat crow on this one. Sounds to me like someone just wanted to be contrary and didn't take the time to write something considerate.

Zedblade
04-06-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm not saying that it won't be a good/fun game. Just that it isn't the best game idea ever. Your giving youself way too much credit. Its not even an original idea.

Sorry if i'm not a robot drone that mindlessy kisses everyone's ***.

Epicurus_13
04-06-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm not saying that it won't be a good/fun game. Just that it isn't the best game idea ever. Your giving youself way too much credit. Its not even an original idea.

Sorry if i'm not a robot drone that mindlessy kisses everyone's ***.

I demand that you kiss my ***, unit 743! The Borg command it! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Okay, asses aside, I can tell you that I do not honestly think that it is the best game idea ever. My first post is deliberately written as a sort of overconfident sales pitch in order to make it less boring. I agree that it's not terribly original and really that's the point; to apply the winning formulae of SC to a new "genre". I just want a "proper" ninja game (and I imagine that ninja games could be a draw for you as well, Mr. Gaara and Orochimaru). SO anyway, rest assured that my bold statements about how great my game are are not to be taken at face value.

Zedblade
04-06-2006, 05:40 PM
http://www.vplanetmag.com/borg.jpg

Epicurus_13
04-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Yes, exactly.

Kolacel2006
04-08-2006, 10:10 AM
its would be good as another game but definatly not splinter cell

Epicurus_13
04-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Kolacel2006:
its would be good as another game but definatly not splinter cell

Not sure what exactly you mean here but the game I propose isn't set in the splinter cell universe. The only reason I mention splinter cell is because the versus and single player modes are so similar that it deserves honorable mention.

DrCactus
04-10-2006, 01:16 PM
I think my idea way back in PT was the best ever.

Hell, if Spy Vs Spy was based like this it'd be the best game ever! The point of spy vs spy wouldn't be to kill each other. Oh no... It'd be to catch the crazy monkey! Ever played Mario64, and you had to catch the monkey after he stole your hat. Or catch the bunny in the basement of the castle? ya. see, that's some fun stuff. Except this time, the monkey steals like, your gun or goggles.

Now that'd be a game.