PDA

View Full Version : DEV TEAM : DUD Torpedo - Details ?

Phullbrick
03-16-2005, 07:00 AM
Hi,

It appears that DUD torpedos not exploding are a reality in SH3.

There's an interesting article on uboat.net about them in the WWII and how devastating it was for the crew moral.

Now, can we have more details how it is simulated in the game and what causes a torpedo not to explode ? Are all models concerned ? what is the formula or is it a random routine when we fire a torpedo ?

Thanks

u2336
03-16-2005, 07:09 AM
Salut Phullbrick,

merci encore pour ta preview !
Ok so I began a campaign with a IIA in 1939 with steam and electric torps aboard (G7a and e).
I attacked a small merchant ship near Scapa Flow, a perfect firing solution, 90? AOB. I choose the contact fuse head and not the magnetic one for the first (and I though only one) shot.
Dud one. It bounced back on the hull of the target and sank deep.
Another one try, this time the AOB was quite open (about 120?) and I misanticipated the speed of the target that increased it. The torp this time touched the rudder but at a very open angle, it just changed its course and it ran out of fuel after...
2 launches, 2 duds.
In a previous single mission in 1943, I sank (cut in half) another cargo with a G7a at a correct AOB. Well.....if it is not historically accurate.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif