PDA

View Full Version : Any new servers in the works?

repoman11
05-27-2006, 01:32 AM
Hard times for some of us. GreaterGreen is gone. Warclouds just made having your client rate set below 56K bannable. I connect at 28.8, increasing the network speed setting has always resulted in an immediate ping kick. Leaving it the same got me banned. So they're out. Before you ask, no broadband is available here.

Winds of War has been pretty good, but there was virtually no one on it tonight, which is how I came to find out I cannot play on Warclouds any longer.

So cheer me up, and tell me that some new cockpit on servers are in the works. It is depressing to have the time and the desire to play, only to end up with a choice of playing offline, or not at all.

F16_Neo
05-27-2006, 02:20 AM
The Valhalla server will (hopefully) be back in a short while.
It will be scripted & full switch as usual, the stats will be acessible from F16 homepage.
This time we are trying to optimise the missions better for performance. It will run 4.05M.

Monguse
05-27-2006, 06:23 AM
-

repoman11
05-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the replies. Sadly, I've never been able to play on Historia. Though my ping looks nice and low on Hyperlobby (around 200), joining the game results in my being consistently ping kicked before it has fully loaded. Which is really too bad, because it sounds great. GreaterGreen was relatively close to me geographically, which gave me the lowest ping of any server I've ever played on.

Neo, I will definitely check out Valhalla when it comes back online.

Crash_Moses
05-27-2006, 09:42 AM
If you're into the PTO, PacificConflict hosted by AG-51 is an excellent server. I also connect at 28.8 and don't have any problems (once I figured out the correct modem settings). They had about 29 people on the other night and I had no problems (except for an inept tail gunner).

To optimize your modem check out this thread:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/4611068914

The most important thing is to turn off compression and error control and set your modem to v.34 protocol using the s32=98 command in modem properties. Then set your clientrate in hlpro.ini (under Forgotten Battles) to 3000.

Hope that helps. S!

Tgd_Voxman
05-27-2006, 10:10 AM
GreaterGreen was relatively close to me geographically, which gave me the lowest ping of any server I've ever played on.

Hi Repo....long time no see and sorry that you're having connection problems. Actually HISTORIA server is in the same area as GreaterGreen, the San Francisco Bay area. Probably the problem is how the server routes the signal to your client hub. GG may have had a more direct route....oh well. There's also Normandie Neimen you can try as that has default skins, so the load may be a little less.

TheGozr
05-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Well Repoman i see you with 160 as i write ( up and down at time ) can be cause by a noisy or busy connection on your side, ask your isp http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Where are you at?
The server is basicly 2 miles away from where was GG server http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Check "NormandieNiemen" for an Eastfront as well same place.
Both servers have stats, your score count for both servers, that mean you can go fight in the NormandieNiemen and in HISTORIA and all points will count on your favor, this is a first in the server community.

Welcome there

repoman11
05-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Crash_Moses, thanks for the tips. Changing to V34 made a significant difference. I was able to play on Historia for the first time ever. The server was otherwise empty, so I'm not sure how it will work with other players. But I'm optimistic.

Disabling error control and compression only seemed to make things worse. Leaving them enabled and staying with V34 just allowed me to play on Winds of War without being ping kicked for probably my longest session ever. Also, upping the client rate from 14.4 still gave me higher pings, and got me ping kicked before I could change it back. In HL ini, I have it set to 2000, and that's where it has to stay.

Gozr, I'm in Chico CA. My ISP is a quality one, but they can do nothing about the third world phone lines connecting my "shack down by the river" to the world. The telephone company could, but won't. Not enough money in it for them to be bothered.

TheGozr
05-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Rgr Repoman http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
How far are you to your pole ? bad or old phone cable ? anychance to get a roll of good cable and plug it into the pole?
I did change the phone cable at my place what a change.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Monguse
05-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Moses great suggestion!

YAY Repo!!!!

repoman11
05-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Gozr, the cable between here and the pole is good. The underground cable between here and town is in poor condition. And it has too many digital to analog converters, yada yada yada. 26.4 to 28.8 is considered a good connection speed by the phone company! And during the rainy season, it is often slower.

My options are to live with it, or move. To move where broadband would be available would probably cost me at least an additional $250.00 a month in rent. So I live with it, even though it drives me bananas.

Some sort of wireless broadband would be a godsend. I'd then get a cellular phone, and have my landline disconnected. Bye bye phone company!

TheGozr
05-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Yes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Crash_Moses
05-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Outstanding! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Glad it helped. I'd pretty much given up playing on-line when we moved out to the country. Then I ran across that thread and now I'm back in the air!

Yeah, the compression and error control features depend on your ISP. I ended up turning off compression and leaving error control on. My ISP took over the compression function and it works pretty good. My ping isn't the greatest (usually between 200 and 350 depending on how many pilots are on the server) but it's a very solid connection. Takes forever to connect to a server sometimes (okay, a couple of minutes...but it seems like forever) but once I'm connected, I'm good to go.

And yer right about the outside cable...very little to be done about that. I spent five years splicing fiber and copper and the last ten as senior telecom tech for a pretty big company. It really depends how far you are from the central office. In town I got a solid 52K connection every time but I was a half mile from the CO. Now I'm about four miles out and there are at least two load coils between here and there. And when it rains you can forget it. Wet splices everywhere (when I was splicin' I guarantee none of my splices were wet! Be sure...)

My house is wired to BICSI standards and the line to our house is brand new (as is the house) so I think I'm pretty much stuck at 28.8 until the cable company gets their arse out here (I,ve offered bribes, cars, my first born...)

Don't know too much about wireless but I do have a friend that connects via his cell phone. It's about $50 a month (through All-Tel...good company) and he gets high bandwidth but his ping is in the 400 to 500 range (fine for World of Warcraft but not IL-2 for sure).

Anyway, glad you're up and running...stop by PacificConflict sometime (Tuesdays and Thursdays are good). Great bunch of guys. The server is in Florida and I've never had a problem.

S!

Crash_Moses
05-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by repoman11:
Gozr, the cable between here and the pole is good. The underground cable between here and town is in poor condition. And it has too many digital to analog converters, yada yada yada. 26.4 to 28.8 is considered a good connection speed by the phone company! And during the rainy season, it is often slower.

My options are to live with it, or move. To move where broadband would be available would probably cost me at least an additional $250.00 a month in rent. So I live with it, even though it drives me bananas.

Some sort of wireless broadband would be a godsend. I'd then get a cellular phone, and have my landline disconnected. Bye bye phone company!

Ohh...just thought of something. I did my splicing out on the West Coast and as I recall Pacific Bell (now SBC I think...or is it AT&T? no matter...) has to guarantee a certain connection speed if you use your line primarily for data. That's the way it is here in Michigan (just can't talk the wife into a second phone line). Anyway, a second phone line might be an option if you can afford it. I think they "tune" your circuit end to end. Competition is fierce and they WILL bargain...trust me.

RaVe_N
05-28-2006, 03:38 PM
GUTS AND GLORY up load is 7megs its a commercial account.
brought to you by -=FA=- and Raven Skins.com
Forgotten Assassins is one of the oldest squads in hypeloby.
http://www.forgottenassassins.com/
server that is running 4.04m as well as a 4.05 version
GREAT MAPS lots of action plane sets are fantastic and balanced the maps are made mostly by me and are very well done as I have been making maps for many years so I know how to make a server run smoothly give it a try you will enjoy it.