PDA

View Full Version : Gulf of Finland Map

VFS-214_Hawk
09-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Wow what a huge map...maybe we can get a PTO map the same size with a particular island chain?

VFS-214_Hawk
09-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Wow what a huge map...maybe we can get a PTO map the same size with a particular island chain?

plumps_
09-11-2005, 09:31 PM
That map has about the same size as the New Guinea map (~ 420 x 250 km). Only a very small part of the "particular island chain" would fit onto that map.

VW-IceFire
09-11-2005, 09:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VFS-214_Hawk:
Wow what a huge map...maybe we can get a PTO map the same size with a particular island chain? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What makes it seem huge is the detail...

As plumps points out, the New Guinea map isn't all that different in size. The number of objects on it is totally differen't and it looks much larger because of that.

The detail comparison cannot be made really...

Tully__
09-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Several of the Pacific maps are much larger, up to 1000 x 1000km, but they're all or mostly open ocean.

VFS-214_Hawk
09-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Yeap, I guess it is the details that make it look so big!!

Nimits
09-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Interesting ***coughBougainvillecough*** point.

LEXX_Luthor
09-14-2005, 07:24 PM
SeaFire:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What makes it seem huge is the detail... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>VFS:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeap, I guess it is the details that make it look so big!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe what makes Finland Map seem "big" is that Europe has much smaller scale -- smaller distances -- between key strategic places compared to the vast Pacific. I agree, on a personal or Emotional level, a normal 200km FB Europe map gives the same "impression" of size as the much larger 400km New Guinea map or 1000km Okinawa map, so yes Finland can produce emotions of titanic size in the traditionally small mapped European FB theater.