PDA

View Full Version : Dial up

blazer-glory
05-14-2005, 11:38 AM
I still only have a dial up connection. Do you think I could still play online?

Freelancer-1
05-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Really, theres only one way to find out, isn't there?

Try it!!

Taylortony
05-14-2005, 12:01 PM
yes you might get kicked from the odd servers but pick a uk one and you should be ok, i played like that for 2 years np

repoman11
05-14-2005, 04:22 PM
If you have good dial up (good phone lines, good ISP) and a good modem you should be able to play quite well. By good modem, I mean a quality hardware modem, not the cheap winmodems that most computers ship with. Before my phone lines went bad, I was able to play on most servers, including Virtual Pilots in Finland.

LuckyBoy1
05-14-2005, 04:25 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

See Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users to help you with ping management. There is more to your ping rate than connection speed. People find out over and over that they can't buy there way out of this problem and not pay attention to managing their computer correctly.

3.JG51_BigBear
05-14-2005, 05:38 PM
About a year ago I switched to broadband from 56K and I never looked back. I tried every tweak in the world and I managed to stay in a lot of servers but I was constantly causing warping and stutters and pissing people off. It'll work but its tough.

LuckyBoy1
05-14-2005, 05:46 PM
I'm not saying high speed connections aren't nice, in fact, I'm on cable, but still, one of the nice things about Oleg is he does try to keep it a game that you can at least koin a coop in over at HyperLobby on dialup as long as you manage everything else correctly. With that said, there are a few people out there that for whatever reason... usually they are out in the less populated areas... Copperhead, Blair... well, at great expense maybe not anymore and Sunflower struggle even when they've done everything right.

LStarosta
05-14-2005, 06:39 PM
With whatever connection, it is always vital to avoid the Printscreen button at all costs.

Atomic_Marten
05-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by LStarosta:
With whatever connection, it is always vital to avoid the Printscreen button at all costs.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

blazer-glory
05-15-2005, 03:33 AM
Thanks guys. I guess I should just have tried before I posted but hey. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Maple_Tiger
05-15-2005, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
I'm not saying high speed connections aren't nice, in fact, I'm on cable, but still, one of the nice things about Oleg is he does try to keep it a game that you can at least koin a coop in over at HyperLobby on dialup as long as you manage everything else correctly. With that said, there are a few people out there that for whatever reason... usually they are out in the less populated areas... Copperhead, Blair... well, at great expense maybe not anymore and Sunflower struggle even when they've done everything right.

I don't even live in a populated area. Well, mayby one day, hopefully in the near future, I'll be able to purchase cable.

I notice that Communication software is the real killer for me.

blazer-glory
05-15-2005, 06:47 AM
Off topic slightly,can anyone give me the addresses of some good servers? I loaded up IL-2 and it found no servers at all.

LuckyBoy1
05-15-2005, 07:12 AM
Most play IL-2 Forgotten Battles ACE/Pacific Fighters combined install patched to 3.04m

Which version of IL-2 are you using?

blazer-glory
05-15-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the reply.
I only have a patched version of IL-2. V.1.2

LuckyBoy1
05-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Do yourself a favor and pick up Forgotten Battles Gold Pack... it has ACE already in it... and also buy Pacific Fighters. It may seem like a lot of money, but the prices on them have dropped and when you consider that if you like IL-2 you gonna love the newer game, it is cheap entertainment in the long run!

-HH-Quazi
05-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by blazer-glory:
Thanks for the reply.
I only have a patched version of IL-2. V.1.2

You probably won't find any servers with that version of the game. You would have a year ago. If online is what you would like to do, then follow LB's advice. And you can play online with 56K. Follow LB's Guide for Complete Users (the link under my sig), and get your rig in tip-top shape. You shouldn't have no problems.

blazer-glory
05-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Should be getting FB any day now. Thanks guys! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif