PDA

View Full Version : Weapons Range?

RennyB
05-24-2004, 08:19 PM
As the great .50 debated rages on, I have a question for more knowledgable members of the community. What was the typical range that a WWII A/C would fire at another A/C? The reason I ask is that the .50 at around 150 meters seems to be quiet deadly. I agree that there is a problem with dispersion (fired the M2 in R/L a few times before). In R/L was it reasonable to open up at ranges of 300m or more? That's over three football fields away. The target A/C would look awfully small in the sight. Any insight would be appreciated.

RennyB
05-24-2004, 08:19 PM
As the great .50 debated rages on, I have a question for more knowledgable members of the community. What was the typical range that a WWII A/C would fire at another A/C? The reason I ask is that the .50 at around 150 meters seems to be quiet deadly. I agree that there is a problem with dispersion (fired the M2 in R/L a few times before). In R/L was it reasonable to open up at ranges of 300m or more? That's over three football fields away. The target A/C would look awfully small in the sight. Any insight would be appreciated.

ZG77_Lignite
05-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Of course it varied from pilot to pilot and airforce to airforce, so generally speaking one might say 50m to 650m.

Some examples (from memory, taken from historic examples):
FW190A8 'Bomber Buster': MG's 350m, Cannon 650m
B17 Gunners: <800m
P51: <300m
Bf109(Experten): <100m

Most all historic 'Aces' agree on the 'the closer the better' theory. Quotes like 'Fills the windscreen', 'When you think your close enough, get closer', and 'you can't Be to close' are quite common.