PDA

View Full Version : Wobble? Maybe a clue ...

Skycat_2
02-02-2006, 12:09 AM
Up until recently I had some problems with the famous 'wobble' (I assume), mainly experienced when flying the Spitfires. At least I think I had the same problem that so many other players have complained about ... in my case, I would have described it as 'shimmy.' The tail would shake like the Spit was going to buck its rivets right out. It was annoying but the Spit was really the only plane I noticed this with so I just avoided it.

Now here's the wierd part ...

Last week I noticed that Windows was running multiple versions of il2hk.exe (the swastika enabling program) even after I'd exited the game. In an attempt to economize my background programs I started opening taskmanager each time I exited the game to manually shut off il2hk.exe. That seemed to help my overall game performance, so the other day I simply deleted my desktop shortcut to il2hk.exe and restored the regular PF .exe shortcut. By all logic, the swastikas should have stopped appearing on the Luftwaffe planes, right?

Tonight I was happily flying Spitfires and P-51Ds in FMB, using full real settings and having no problems. Then I switched over to my BOE campaign in progress, and during the mission I noticed that the FW-190s had swastikas on their tails! Before shutting down Pacific Fighters for the night, I checked a Bf109 out in QMB using a default skin; sure enough, I had the swastika on the tail. Last, I checked my desktop shortcut to make sure I hadn't accidently kept the one mapped to il2hk.exe (I didn't) and looked over my taskmanager to confirm there wasn't a version of il2hk.exe running in the background (I didn't find one).

The only explanation I can think of is that a couple of weeks ago I loaded up the latest version of the MatManager program and applied the weathered insignias ... is it possible that it has il2hk.exe built in and that caused the version I had mapped to my desktop to run redundantly? (By the way, I don't use IL-2 Stab so the swastikas are not coming from that.)

I'm at a loss to explain what is going on here ... but everything is running great for me agains so I don't want to jinx my good fortune by running a bunch of experiments to find what caused the 'shimmy' in the Spits. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Anyhow, I thought this might be an avenue worth pursuing for those folks who are having problems -- (1) are you using il2hk.exe + MatManager, and/or (2) is Windows shutting down il2hk.exe when you exit the game?

jurinko
02-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Why to use il2hk.exe when the MAT is used?

Skycat_2
02-02-2006, 01:29 AM
I've had il2hk ever since IL-2 Sturmovik days, but I just installed Mat Manager for the first time about three weeks ago. I didn't really pay attention to whether Mat Manager enables the swastikas on its own ... does it? Anyway, I'm not using il2hk anymore. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Gibbage1
02-02-2006, 02:00 AM
I have never had IL2HK but had the wobbles. I think 4.03 is the only cure.

Kwiatos
02-02-2006, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Gibbage1:

Exacly wobbling is FM of 4.02 issue not software/hardware problem. Only antidotum is new patch and fix.

strelnik_Sipi
02-02-2006, 04:58 AM
Funny is that I have no wobble and many friends have no problems as well. So I guess its not only patch related. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kwiatos
02-02-2006, 05:14 AM
maby you dont know what exacly wobble mean?
And no all planes wobble in game, some have just little wobble and some big like P-51 ex.

Chuck_Older
02-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by strelnik_Sipi:
Funny is that I have no wobble and many friends have no problems as well. So I guess its not only patch related. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Well, the first thing I did when I patched to 4.02 was to hop in a Mustang (D model) and take it for a spin

No difference in stability for me at all. None zero zip nada. The rudder feel was slightly different, buit the nose didn't wobble or wander or shimmy or anything

SO I have to say, I have no idea what people are talking about concerning wobble. I have no trouble flying the P-51 at all, it is almost identical to 4.01 for me

So although I admit I have no idea what the problem is, I agree with you

italianofalco
02-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Great!!.. We found almost one m8's, as you are Chuck, that don't have wobbies! .. how did you do?!.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif (sorry but probably you don't remember/noticed that woobie has come from 3.04/4.00 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif ) - Falco

quiet_man
02-02-2006, 03:29 PM
@Chuck_Older

what do you use for rudder? Pedals?

the wobbles come when you let the rudder jump back to neutral position (what you cann't easily do with pedals)

quiet_man

VW-IceFire
02-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Here's my guess...

I noticed wobbles drastically got worse when I changed video drivers. This was before I reformatted and it hasn't been an issue since...but I still have wobbles (not as insanely bad as before). So my theory is that there is something between DirectX's DirectInput and the 4.02 patch and the games flight model. I blame the game because its the single point of failure with regards to wobbles...but its a relationship and it doesn't exist in a vaccum.

Of note...I also changed my stick from a very old MS Precision Pro 2 to a X-52 and no difference. The stick was very different but the FM itself was unchanged...

Again, it affects some aircraft and not all and not on all machines. Thus the relationship between DirectInput. Here's hoping 4.03 fixes it!

VW-IceFire
02-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by quiet_man:
@Chuck_Older

what do you use for rudder? Pedals?

the wobbles come when you let the rudder jump back to neutral position (what you cann't easily do with pedals)

quiet_man
I disagree...the wobble is present when not using the rudder at all. It exists on all axis...just that rudder seems to produce the worst of it...letting it go slowly or quickly has an impact...but its still very much present.

Chuck_Older
02-02-2006, 04:20 PM
X-45 with rocker rudder

I must have the most deft touch in the world! Maybe it's because I learned the 3.04 planes with a bandage on my left hand and an immobile center finger? Don't know, but I don't have wobble...why would I jump off the rudder, anyway?? Just ease it back to center. In an offline campaign last night, I shot down four DB-3s and four Il-2s in the same mission...in an FW 190A-4. I would have gotten more but I was out of cannon rounds

I have no wobble trouble, and I can use the FW gunsight perfectly well. I cannot be the best virtual pilot in the world! If rudder control is what causes the wobbles...then why don't folks learn to be more gentle with the rudder? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Kuna15
02-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Kwiatos:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gibbage1:

Exacly wobbling is FM of 4.02 issue not software/hardware problem. Only antidotum is new patch and fix. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

Kuna15
02-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
X-45 with rocker rudder

I must have the most deft touch in the world! Maybe it's because I learned the 3.04 planes with a bandage on my left hand and an immobile center finger? Don't know, but I don't have wobble...why would I jump off the rudder, anyway?? Just ease it back to center. In an offline campaign last night, I shot down four DB-3s and four Il-2s in the same mission...in an FW 190A-4. I would have gotten more but I was out of cannon rounds

I have no wobble trouble, and I can use the FW gunsight perfectly well. I cannot be the best virtual pilot in the world! If rudder control is what causes the wobbles...then why don't folks learn to be more gentle with the rudder? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I would like to see your track.
To be more precise, low speed (below 350kp/h + *slight* rudder corrections) strafe attacks on enemy vehicles.
Plane type: P-51D. Or Yak-9U.
If possible post link here for others to see as well.

Here is my track:
p51d_strafe (http://free-vk.t-com.hr/domagoj/tracks/offline/402__kunap51d_strafing.zip)

Talking about wobble without tracks is impossible IMO.

Texan...
02-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Chuck of the boards, will we see your like again?

Nobody could possibly be this dense or obstinate. It has absolutely nothing to do with anybody's flying skills. Just because you cannot duplicate the effect on your machine, then it must not possibly exist, eh?

I think even if I FedEx'ed my entire rig to you, you still may not get it. If you could though, I'd have you hop in the F4U-C and watch you paint 20mm spirals in the sky while you tried to hit an evading target.

Grey_Mouser67
02-02-2006, 05:45 PM
From the information and tracks I have watched and gathered, everybody has the wobbles only some people don't fly the planes that have the wobbles the worst and some are tolerant of it.

I've tried all the fixes and the only thing I can tell is that there is a dampening/inertia modelling inequality going on in pitch and yaw.

I always found these very planes we're discussing to be more sensitive to control with my old X45 and I think the new FM just exaggerated what was a lack of control dampening.

The Fw, 109 and La has the 'wobble' too...it is just so dampenened and not as exagerrated, that it actually feels "normal" to fly these aircraft. I'd like to see the Spit, Jug, Lightning, Mustang, Corsair, and Hellcat recieve some of that dampening...I'll bet everyone's gunnery gets much better!