PDA

View Full Version : Newbie says hi with Online troubles

bailout99
07-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi guys, Just saying thanks for bearcat and skycat for the newbies guide and vulgar for the CEM guide and who ever else I haven't named.
I'm just wondering why I can't connect to servers in hyperlobby. Every time I connect to a server it boots up and after a few minutes teying to connect it says server timed out. I tried all the populated servers AAA Skies of Valour etc. But I can never seem to connect to anything!

Hope you guys can help and I'm really loving the game and I want a taste of Online skies (Even though I'm gonna get my *** whooped)
Thanks bailout99

WTE_Galway
07-04-2009, 07:31 PM
do you have a firewall ?

julian265
07-04-2009, 08:46 PM
You only need a few outgoing ports in a firewall to be open. I don't know their numbers off the top of my head though.

What version of IL2 are you using Bailout? You must use the same version as the server, which, on hyperlobby, is either 4.08m or 4.09b1m.

You must also use a non-modded installation for servers which demand it.

How is your internet connection? If it's too slow (or someone is downloading) you might not be able to connect either.

Blindman-
07-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the community bailout99. I would guess that it is indeed the version of the game that you are using. Check the host by clicking on it and usually they state the version.

Good luck.

bailout99
07-05-2009, 04:38 AM
Thanks guys for the responses. I do have a fire wall but IL-2 is exempted from being blocked so thats not a problem. My version is 4.08m (thanks to the nuggets guide) and thats still timed out.
BTW I live in Australia so could that be a problem?
I did a speed test from www.speedtest.net (http://www.speedtest.net) and my download speed is 1.33mb/s my upload speed is 0.22mb/s and my ping is 31ms. Is that alright to play? I play other games online which work fine.

Thanks for your replies bailout99

Tully__
07-05-2009, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by bailout99:
Being in Australia is most definitely not a problem. There are quite a few aussies in the community including myself. A few of the servers in Hyperlobby are based in Australia too.

julian265
07-05-2009, 07:13 AM
I suggest you try unblocking all outgoing ports, and leaving the incoming ones blocked, if you have control of it. Otherwise try disabling the firewall, see if it works, and then you'll know whether its a port blocking problem or not.

Are you on vista or XP?

I'm in Melbourne BTW, and have the same up/down rates as you. I don't have too many problems online.

Check your PMs!

Xiolablu3
07-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Simple quick test, switch off your software firewall and see if you can connect.

10 minutes without a firewall wont hurt your PC.

It will tell us if its in fact the firewall or not...

bailout99
07-05-2009, 10:39 PM
It's good to know I'm not the only aussie here. I tried it with my fire wall turned off and it still didn't work http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I really appreciate your help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
bailout99

WTE_Galway
07-05-2009, 10:50 PM
It's good to know I'm not the only aussie here. I tried it with my fire wall turned off and it still didn't work http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I really appreciate your help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
bailout99

Join an aussie squadron, there are quite a few. They will help you out heaps and it also immediately give you team mates to fly with online..

I particularly recommend my old squadron (WTE) though most aussie squadrons are good blokes --

http://wte-anga.com/index.php?...nc=viewpage&pageid=6 (http://wte-anga.com/index.php?module=CMpro&func=viewpage&pageid=6)

bailout99
07-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bailout99:

bailout99

Join an aussie squadron, there are quite a few. They will help you out heaps and it also immediately give you team mates to fly with online..

I particularly recommend my old squadron (WTE) though most aussie squadrons are good blokes --

http://wte-anga.com/index.php?...nc=viewpage&pageid=6 (http://wte-anga.com/index.php?module=CMpro&func=viewpage&pageid=6) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old Squad?
Anyway I'm keeping my options open until I can actually play online!
bailout99

WTE_Galway
07-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Old Squad?

bailout99

Haven't flown online since 2004/2005 .

When you do eventually join a squad make sure its in your time zone, squads on the wrong side of the world will expect you to turn up for training and co-ops at ungodly hours.

JtD
07-06-2009, 12:03 AM
What happens if you try and ping the server you want to join? What does tracert show?

bailout99
07-06-2009, 01:30 AM
Guys might be a bit harder to find out what the problem is because my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is restarting my computer again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
I thought I just stopped it doing that

Probably have to get my computer serviced http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Choctaw111
07-06-2009, 06:49 AM
I can't really add anything not already said.
I just wanted to say "hello" and "welcome".

bailout99
07-06-2009, 07:05 PM
I was thinking could the internet settings in the game be the problem? On the menu screen when you click on hardware and network it comes up with:
Modem (9.6k)
Modem (14.4k)
Modem (28.8k)
(ISDN)
Cable,X DSL
LAN

If i'm on the wrong setting could that stop me from playing?
Thanks for your help bailout99

danjama
07-06-2009, 07:10 PM
No it couldnt sorry to say

bailout99
07-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Bummer had me going there for a while http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I'm stumped as what to do next.

danjama
07-06-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm totally confused as well man.

Try this:

I know you said il2 is already exempt in your windows firewall, but add another exception manually for UDP/TCP 21000. Give it another try. Make sure your trying to connect to a 408m game, and not a 408mods game. Ask in HL for someone to help with this part. I'd help but i'm off to bed, work in a few http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bailout99
07-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by danjama:
I'm totally confused as well man.

Try this:

I know you said il2 is already exempt in your windows firewall, but add another exception manually for UDP/TCP 21000. Give it another try. Make sure your trying to connect to a 408m game, and not a 408mods game. Ask in HL for someone to help with this part. I'd help but i'm off to bed, work in a few http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Awesome idea but didn't work http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Thanks for your suggestion bailout99

BillSwagger
07-06-2009, 08:53 PM
when logged into hyperlobby, what do you see??

I also know that although some servers are capped at 50 players, i cant join if they show 35 or 40 players.

Bearcat99
07-06-2009, 09:28 PM
My version is 4.08m (thanks to the nuggets guide) and thats still timed out.

Patch up to 4.09mb per the Nugget's Guide. Also consider getting a version switcher from M4T (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=3305) that will let you go between 4.08m & 4.09b1. The difference is tat many of the dedicated servers that are not using mods can only run 4.08m.. because an official 4.09mb1 dedicated server patch has not been released yet. The switcher will let you go back and forth between the versions with the click of a mouse. Make sure you are trying to join a Forgotten Battles room, also make sure that the room you re running is running the same version you have. You can just ask the host or sometimes it will state it.

bailout99
07-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bailout99:
My version is 4.08m (thanks to the nuggets guide) and thats still timed out.

Patch up to 4.09mb per the Nugget's Guide. Also consider getting a version switcher from M4T (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=3305) that will let you go between 4.08m & 4.09b1. The difference is tat many of the dedicated servers that are not using mods can only run 4.08m.. because an official 4.09mb1 dedicated server patch has not been released yet. The switcher will let you go back and forth between the versions with the click of a mouse. Make sure you are trying to join a Forgotten Battles room, also make sure that the room you re running is running the same version you have. You can just ask the host or sometimes it will state it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your help but I'm a bit confused? I will patch up to 4.09mb1 but I don't know how that would help. If a server is 4.08m shouldn't I be able to play on it?
Excuse me for my ignorance bailout99

Aviar
07-06-2009, 10:21 PM
bailout99,

On HL, you said that you have a router. However, I don't see you mention that at all here in this thread.

Your router must be correctly cofigured to join online games.

Aviar

bailout99
07-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Aviar:
bailout99,

On HL, you said that you have a router. However, I don't see you mention that at all here in this thread.

Your router must be correctly cofigured to join online games.

Aviar

Hey again thanks for trying to help me on HL. And I forgot to mention I had a router, but does that really make a difference? How do you set up your router? I've already opened port 21000 UDP.

JtD
07-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Can you ping the server you are trying to join?

bailout99
07-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by JtD:

What do you mean by "ping the server"?

Thanks bailout99

WTE_Galway
07-06-2009, 11:15 PM

Thanks for your help but I'm a bit confused? I will patch up to 4.09mb1 but I don't know how that would help. If a server is 4.08m shouldn't I be able to play on it?

You need the precise same version as the server

To play a 4.08m server you need exactly that 4.08m ... not 4.09mb1 and definitely no mods.

To play a 4.09mb1 you need 4.09mb1 .

One other question ... who is your service provider? If you are accessing via a school or university they may also have a firewall setup that is blocking you and is outside your control.

bailout99
07-06-2009, 11:25 PM

To play a 4.08m server you need exactly that 4.08m ... not 4.09mb1 and definitely no mods.

To play a 4.09mb1 you need 4.09mb1 .

One other question ... who is your service provider? If you are accessing via a school or university they may also have a firewall setup that is blocking you and is outside your control. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My service provider is bigpond. Ok I understand what you mean now. But that still dosen't help m e play on a 4.08m server though.

JtD
07-06-2009, 11:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JtD:

Thanks bailout99 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You open up a command window and type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where xxx is the ip adress of the server.

For instance, try joining UKDedicated1 (which is a 4.08m server I'm familiar with):

press windowskey+R (small window with one line in it pops up)
enter "cmd" into the line, press Enter (a somewhat bigger black window pops up)
enter "ping 84.20.153.180" into the black window, press Enter and see what the result is

If you get a timeout problem when trying to join the UKD1 server with Il-2 1946 and the ping command works fine (does not time out), the problem is the network configuration of Il-2 1946.

bailout99
07-07-2009, 12:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JtD:

You open up a command window and type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where xxx is the ip adress of the server.

For instance, try joining UKDedicated1 (which is a 4.08m server I'm familiar with):

press windowskey+R (small window with one line in it pops up)
enter "cmd" into the line, press Enter (a somewhat bigger black window pops up)
enter "ping 84.20.153.180" into the black window, press Enter and see what the result is

If you get a timeout problem when trying to join the UKD1 server with Il-2 1946 and the ping command works fine (does not time out), the problem is the network configuration of Il-2 1946. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did the test and it did exactly what you said it would. It must be a network configuration.
Thanks for that bailout99

JtD
07-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Maybe you just need to edit the conf.ini file then. The conf.ini can be found in the root directory of your il-2 1946 installation. It has a section that reads something like this:

[NET]
speed=8000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=15
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=1
serverName=No Name
serverDescription=
remoteHost=
localHost=xxx.xxx.xxx.xx
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=0

Can you please compare this to your configuration? What does it say in the localHost line, where I put all the xxx?
When I installed my version, I had to manually enter my ip address there. So if your line is blank, this may be the thing to do. To get your ip address you need to enter "ipconfig" into the small black window where you tried the ping command already. Sometimes there are several network adapters with several ip addresses, so if you don't know which one you're using you may need to try all of them.

The problem could still be elsewhere...

Ritter_Cuda
07-07-2009, 05:33 PM
what happens if you by pass HL and connect through the game? try this with UKDedicated1

bailout99
07-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Maybe you just need to edit the conf.ini file then. The conf.ini can be found in the root directory of your il-2 1946 installation. It has a section that reads something like this:

[NET]
speed=8000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=15
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=1
serverName=No Name
serverDescription=
remoteHost=
localHost=xxx.xxx.xxx.xx
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=0

Can you please compare this to your configuration? What does it say in the localHost line, where I put all the xxx?
When I installed my version, I had to manually enter my ip address there. So if your line is blank, this may be the thing to do. To get your ip address you need to enter "ipconfig" into the small black window where you tried the ping command already. Sometimes there are several network adapters with several ip addresses, so if you don't know which one you're using you may need to try all of them.

The problem could still be elsewhere...

I got something in the local host. But when I try ipconfig it quickly flashes up and goes away! I did have a different number for the server channel? But I don't think that matters.

When I try to connect through the game it still times out.

Thanks for all your help bailout99

Bearcat99
07-07-2009, 08:12 PM

To play a 4.09mb1 you need 4.09mb1.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hence the switcher.. it would give you more options... as for the router.. Make sure you have the following:

IL2
TCP 2100>2100
UDP 2100>2100

Hyperlobby
UDP 20999>20999
TCP 1698>1708

Teamspeak
UDP 8767>8767

That should help.. then get the switcher.. that way you can do DF servers or coops.. since most coops are running 4.09b if they aren't ruinning mods because of the new maps that came with that patch.

bailout99
07-07-2009, 09:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hence the switcher.. it would give you more options... as for the router.. Make sure you have the following:

IL2
TCP 2100>2100
UDP 2100>2100

Hyperlobby
UDP 20999>20999
TCP 1698>1708

Teamspeak
UDP 8767>8767

That should help.. then get the switcher.. that way you can do DF servers or coops.. since most coops are running 4.09b if they aren't ruinning mods because of the new maps that came with that patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for helping bearcat99 but it's still timing out!!! I went into my DL-524 router settings, went into firewall and added the things you said to and said allow them!

This is really confusing and thanks for helping bailout99

JtD
07-07-2009, 10:20 PM

I got something in the local host. But when I try ipconfig it quickly flashes up and goes away! I did have a different number for the server channel? But I don't think that matters.

You need to open the black "cmd" window and enter "ipconfig" there. This way the result stays. Don't type ipconfig right into the small one line window.

I also don't think the server channel matters.

bailout99
07-08-2009, 12:02 AM

You need to open the black "cmd" window and enter "ipconfig" there. This way the result stays. Don't type ipconfig right into the small one line window.

I also don't think the server channel matters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did it and entered the one it came up with but still timed out.

JtD
07-08-2009, 12:02 AM
To save you some time:

- start the il2setup.exe
- go to the network-register
- play with the settings there, in particular try out the various ip's listed in the scrolldown menue

JtD
07-08-2009, 12:03 AM

I did it and entered the one it came up with but still timed out.

This sucks.

bailout99
07-08-2009, 12:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IL2
TCP 2100>2100
UDP 2100>2100

Hyperlobby
UDP 20999>20999
TCP 1698>1708

Teamspeak
UDP 8767>8767

That should help.. then get the switcher.. that way you can do DF servers or coops.. since most coops are running 4.09b if they aren't ruinning mods because of the new maps that came with that patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something just caught my eye. I opened the ports like you said but I noticed in my config file the local and remote ports are 21000 not 2100!

Could that have something to do with it?

Thanks for helping bailout99

JtD
07-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Il-2 1946 works with the 21000 port. Certainly wouldn't hurt to open these ports on the router.

Bearcat99
07-08-2009, 10:41 AM
It is supposed to be 21000 thats a typo... sorry @ that.

Jaws2002
07-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Hello Bailout. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Try connecting directly from the multiplayer section of the game.
for instance UK Dedsicated IP is 84.20.153.180, so you click on multiplayer/connect to a server and type this address in the space provided:
84.20.153.180:21000

See if that works.

So did your ping work ok or timed out to Uk dedicated server?

If you got a timeout try trace route:

Start/Run/cmd/

in the black box that opens type:
tracert 84.20.153.180/Enter

You'll see the the route the connection takes to the server. If it works ok you'll get the "Trace complete" at the end of the test. If you get timeout, you'll see exactly where it times out.

hispeedirt
07-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Hi Bailout,

If you are overclocking your cpu you this might be your problem. Had the same problem when I was bumping my FSB up, worked fine offline but when I tried to connect to a server on Hyperlobby, would timeout or be dropped soon after entering game. Could get online and play other games, seemed to effect IL-2 until I dialed my FSB back down a bit.

Tully__
07-09-2009, 04:16 AM
You shouldn't need to forward ports on your router unless you're hosting a server. On the other hand, some routers also have firewall software. Check if that is enabled, and is so is the tcp/udp traffic on ports 20999 - 21000 allowed.

It sounds like hispeedirt may have a good suggestion too.

jamesblonde1979
07-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Has anybody suggested using Xfire?

Give it a try.

DKoor
07-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by jamesblonde1979:

Give it a try. +1

XFire is really easy to setup.
It has some of the servers that aren't listed on Hyperlobby, but also it doesn't have all servers that are listed on HL.

bailout99
07-10-2009, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Jaws2002:
Hello Bailout. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Try connecting directly from the multiplayer section of the game.
for instance UK Dedsicated IP is 84.20.153.180, so you click on multiplayer/connect to a server and type this address in the space provided:
84.20.153.180:21000

See if that works.

So did your ping work ok or timed out to Uk dedicated server?

If you got a timeout try trace route:

Start/Run/cmd/

in the black box that opens type:
tracert 84.20.153.180/Enter

You'll see the the route the connection takes to the server. If it works ok you'll get the "Trace complete" at the end of the test. If you get timeout, you'll see exactly where it times out.

I did the test and go trace complete. From what I understand I can connect to the ip address but something is not allowing it.

Now we just got to find what's stopping me from playing online.

Thanks bailout99

bailout99
07-10-2009, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by jamesblonde1979:

Give it a try.

Actually I had the same idea. As soon as I realized I couldn't join through hyperlobby I tried Xfire. But unfortuneatly no luck. I just tried some more servers today with no luck either.

Thanks for your suggestion bailout99

bailout99
07-10-2009, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by hispeedirt:
Hi Bailout,

If you are overclocking your cpu you this might be your problem. Had the same problem when I was bumping my FSB up, worked fine offline but when I tried to connect to a server on Hyperlobby, would timeout or be dropped soon after entering game. Could get online and play other games, seemed to effect IL-2 until I dialed my FSB back down a bit.

Hi hispeeddirt. I'm unsure of what FSB means. Sorry for the lack of knowledge but can you inform me of what FSB means.
Thanks bailout99

Tully__
07-10-2009, 11:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hispeedirt:
Hi Bailout,

Hi hispeeddirt. I'm unsure of what FSB means. Sorry for the lack of knowledge but can you inform me of what FSB means.
FSB = Front Side Bus. If you're overclocking, changing the speed/frequency of the FSB is the method most commonly used...at least it used to be the last time I tried any overclocking.

bailout99
07-16-2009, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hispeedirt:
Hi Bailout,

FSB = Front Side Bus. If you're overclocking, changing the speed/frequency of the FSB is the method most commonly used...at least it used to be the last time I tried any overclocking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry been away for bit. Do you know how to access your FSB and change the speed.

Thanks bailout99

JtD
07-16-2009, 08:41 AM
If you didn't overclock it then it hardly is the problem.

Wildnoob
07-16-2009, 09:40 AM
bailout99, you gonna manage buddy!

read all your posts was a tremendous agony...

very good luck!

PS: I can't accept but your issues are totally out of my range, though gonna enter in contact rigth now with some friends who understand it to try solve them.

bailout99
07-17-2009, 12:20 AM
If you didn't overclock it then it hardly is the problem.

Yeah fair enough. I doubt anybody in my family actually know what a FSB is (Not me anymore).

bailout99
07-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Wildnoob:
bailout99, you gonna manage buddy!

read all your posts was a tremendous agony...

very good luck!

PS: I can't accept but your issues are totally out of my range, though gonna enter in contact rigth now with some friends who understand it to try solve them.

Thanks I appreciate your sorrow. Maybe I'm not destined to get my *** whooped online http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif . Wait I mean win, yeah thats what I meant http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Thanks for the sorrow bailout99

bailout99
07-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Has anyone got anymore ideas?

Thanks for all your continued support bailout99

bailout99
10-12-2009, 03:54 AM
IT's been FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to Sergeant.Johnsen for all the help. What happened was that I had entered the wrong information while i was forwarding ports. Don't know how I missed that, feel so stupid, but its fixed now.

Thanks for all your help everyone can't thank you enough.

Thank for all the help
bailout99

BaronUnderpants
10-12-2009, 05:33 AM
Maby u should try to pach up to 4.09b and see if u got the same problems then?

Also, when connecting to a server, hit the windows butten and check if ther are anything going on, like u having to allow IL2 to run or somethimg (firewall) I know u said IL2 was exempt, but ull never know with software.

MrSteven37
10-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Hmm, I've got the exact same problem, that I never had until my mom came home with a router one day, grr. What was it exactly that you had to change in the port forwarding information?

bailout99
10-24-2009, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by MrSteven37:
Hmm, I've got the exact same problem, that I never had until my mom came home with a router one day, grr. What was it exactly that you had to change in the port forwarding information?

Sry been away for a bit.

The first step is you have to have a static IP address.

Second step is to input your ip address into the address bar in Google Chrome, Internet explorer, safari etc.

Then you need to tell me what router you have.

I have a D-Link Dl-524 router. After you've inputed your ip address into your address bar go to virtual server (Thats for my router) and input ports 2100 for TCP and UDP.

You should now be able to play.

If you need anymore help just ask, or anyone else that needs help

Here's basically where I got my info from
http://portforward.com/

Hope this help Bailout99