PDA

View Full Version : First time on HL in almost a year

Choctaw111
02-18-2009, 06:54 PM
I must say, it is just as adrenaline pumping now as it was then. My first squad, RAF, (almost like a first love of sorts) hasn't flown together in over a year and shortly after that I did a brief stint with Blue, but was not able to dedicate the time to be a viable part of that squad. I wanted to take some time and spend it with my family. Lets face it, once you get on HL hours and hours of your life are sucked away at one time.
Believe it or not I managed to only fly for about 2 1/2 hours with my former RAF squadron leader on Spits v 109s. After 3 sorties I shot down 2, getting shot down twice myself getting bounced by several Antons each time. The first a PK and the second time, and I never saw this happen before, Rudder, Elevator and Aileron shot out at the same time. Not too pleased with my performance today I will have to get back up there more often.

Fehler
02-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Great to see you back, and hope to fly with/against you on Spits really soon!

Choctaw111
02-18-2009, 09:30 PM
I just did one more sortie on Spits v 109s, and something I learned long ago still stays with me and served me well. This is more for the newer pilots here.
Not to be impatient, or do something foolish that causes you to unnecessarily loose altitude. I had two engagements during my 45 minute flight. Both were from high altitude, about 20K feet and constantly scanning the sky and never flying in a straight line. Both times a saw a bogie pass in front of a cloud over an enemy airfield. It must be enemy as it isn't being fired upon. I dive down from behind to about 12K feet and fire a short burst scoring several hits with my Spit IXe. The 109 G or K, not sure which, dives down and away and I loose sight. I learned early not to dive down when you loose sight of your opponent. I climbed immediately and never saw him again. A few minutes later having gained my altitude back, I saw another bogie pass in front of a cloud. I dove down this time losing it in the ground clutter. Immediately I climbed back up to spot him again in a turn towards me. Just to make sure, I put myself in such a position to make an ID pass and not put myself in front of his guns in the likely event it was enemy which it was. I went into a turning climb and we were coming back at each other and I managed to put a quick burst in the tail while staying out of his sights. I gave chase only to lose him in a cloud bank. Again I immediately climbed and looked back at the cloud not to see him again.
The moral of this longwinded story is both times I only damaged the enemy planes, and I refused to follow them to the deck when I lost sight of them. That almost definitely would have spelled certain death for me. After the last engagement I climbed back up to 20K feet and weaved back and forth to my base and landed only to be pleasantly surprised with 2 kill credits. It turned out that the 2 damaged planes crashed anyway and I still kept my altitude, speed and safety.

Feathered_IV
02-19-2009, 03:39 AM
Thats the way to do it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

rnzoli
02-19-2009, 05:59 AM
Cowards http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

*** edit: just kidding guys, don't take it literally. Patience is a great virtue in all circumstances!