PDA

View Full Version : IL2 1946 dedicated server?

Kaptein_Damli
01-08-2008, 05:35 AM
Does 1946 support dedicated server? Do I need a second copy of 1946 if I want to host a game with my friends? Having a laptop and 2.5MBIT upline. We are total of four players. We play with my laptop as host in LOMAC and no lag, and LOMAC has no dedicated server support.

Since I has 2.5 MBIT up and 10 MBIT down, I don´t think lag will be a issue as we are only 4 players. This works fine in Lock On even if it has no dedicated server support. (I leave the server in F10 map view and has all settings on low, 640X480 etc.)

Is it possible to host the server on the PC I play on without any stuttering? I have P4 3.0 GHZ, 2 GB RAM, ASUS 8600 GT 512MB DDR3, 10 MBIT down, 2.5 MBIT up. I do only have one copy of 1946, but can buy a second copy and install it on my laptop. Laptop is a 1,4 GHZ (M), 1 GB RAM, 9600 radeon. I will of course set the resolution low and all ingame settings on low (will this infect the clients?).

Also, what port needs to be open in the router for 1946? Thax in advance. Anyone else have any experience hosting? (Not public, mates etc).

rnzoli
01-08-2008, 08:18 AM
no, you don't need a second copy of the IL-2 full game

you can run a special, simplified, free-of-charge dedicated dogfight server software, which has no GUI and no co-operative mission support

however, you have to find it in a bundled form somewhere, and the setup is somewhat akward...it will take some patience

the default recommendation is NOT to run the dedicated server on the same PC as you're playing with the full game

if you are playing on it anyway, you can host an online server with the full game of IL-2

if you want to stop playing but leaving the server open for your friends, you can fire up the dedicated server software

since your systems seems powerful enough, for 4-6 players you might get away having both the dedicated DF server and your IL-2 running at same time

open port 21000 for UDP traffic

JG6_Oddball
01-08-2008, 04:46 PM
here is the dedicated server software http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&get=2417
DL them into a folder called il2dedserver (oor what ever you want to call it) start by unziping the filed #1 and the rest will upzip them selfs (atleat mine did) then read the install .txt any questions or problems post them here.

S! good luck

Codger1949
04-12-2008, 04:07 PM
I have the server installed. What do I have to do to run the server, host a game, and play the game on the same computer. I only have one computer.

Codger1949
04-12-2008, 05:21 PM
There's something about this server install that confuses me. At missions4today there are dedi server files 204,304,403 etc. and so on up to a seven part monstrosity which is 408. Some place else on the web there is a file which is called il2 1946 408m which is 128 mb in compressed form. Which 408 do I install the 7 parter or the 128 mb version? Do I have to install everything else as well starting from 204m?

dbillo
04-13-2008, 09:11 AM
The 128mb file is only a patch. You would use that if you already had a working 4.07 dedicated server and wanted to patch it to 4.08.

The simplest way to get a complete 4.08 dedicated server from scratch is to download that seven part monstrosity. That, AFAIK, is a complete, working 4.08 dedicated server, needing only to be configured for your particular use.

Otherwise, you will be faced with the "old school" method of starting with the 2.04 dedicated server (which has some corruptions, BTW), and applying a poopload of patches to get it to 4.08.

dbillo
04-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Codger1949:
I have the server installed. What do I have to do to run the server, host a game, and play the game on the same computer. I only have one computer.
At the very least, you must edit the server.cmd file so that it will load the mission of your choice when the server starts. When the server starts, it creates one socket by default to accept connections.

If you are not behind a router, this socket will typically consist of your public Internet address and the port :21000, and that is the address anyone should use to join the server. Same for you when you start your game, use that same address to join the server.

If you are behind a router, the server will typically create socket using your private IP address and port :21000. In this case, people connecting to your server over the Internet will use your public Internet IP address to join, and you would use the private address. You must have port 21000 forwarded on the router to you private address.

Codger1949
04-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks dbillo. That really clears up some confusion. (I'm sure there is more to come as I fool with this thing). As it stands I, due to lack of knowledge, installed everything from 2.04 AND, p that 4.08 2 meg patch, PLUS that seven part rar 4.08 server conglomeration . So only God knows what the devil kind of mess I've got in that server folder. I think I better dump that whole can of worms in that folder and just install the 7 parter. Your reply should be put in that 4 year old thread called "easy dedicated server" or whatever it's called. It might save a lot of characters like me from screwing up from the get go.

Codger1949
04-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks again for the reply on running a server and client on same machine.

dbillo
04-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Well, if you have started with 2.04, and installed all the CORRECT patches in order, then all is nearly well. This is the way I did it but the only problem is the nearly all of the 2.04 server downloads out there are corrupt, and you will end up missing a few of the map files. This is not a fatal problem, as you can just copy the map files from your game installation, which is also what I did.

If it would be easier for you, then you could start anew with the complete 7 part server download, as I'm pretty sure that is complete and ready to go. But what your have already may be fine, or nearly fine. You can check by looking in the server folder and see if there are files there named fb_maps.sfs, and fb_maps01.sfs consecutively up to fb_maps14.sfs (also a 10p and 12p in there)
If they are not all present, then copy them from your game install.

You may also be missing a file called filesserver.sfs, but this too can be rectified by copying files.sfs from your game install and simply renaming it.

Your choice.

Codger1949
04-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Thank you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Codger1949
04-13-2008, 01:00 PM
I was wondering, looking at the files in the server folder...is this a stand alone program? Meaning, if I have another computer and I install it on that computer, do I also have to have to game installed as well on that computer? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

dbillo
04-14-2008, 09:54 AM
I was wondering, looking at the files in the server folder...is this a stand alone program? Meaning, if I have another computer and I install it on that computer, do I also have to have to game installed as well on that computer? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
Let me make sure this is clarified:

The dedicated server is a separate, standalone, free program. It has nothing to do with your game install, and does not require the game to run. In fact, running it by itself on a separate computer is the RECOMMENDED method to use it.

It is, essentially, as rnzoli posted, a modified version of the game, without the player interface and GUI, and it ONLY runs dogfight missions...no coops.

There is a separate series of patches for it, which are not the same as the patches for the game. Mixing up the game patches and server patches will result in calamity.

Codger1949
04-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Ok. I understand now. Thanks.

dbillo
04-14-2008, 12:13 PM
As it stands I installed everything from 2.04 AND, p that 4.08 2 meg patch, PLUS that seven part rar 4.08 server conglomeration.
Sorry, I missed this particular detail. If the above is the case, then yes, toss that can of worms and start over. If, as it sounds, you have already downloaded that seven part server package, then use that. I'm pretty sure that is complete and will save you some headaches. Once you've extracted all seven archives, you should just need to configure it and run it.

Codger1949
04-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Rgr. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SwarmHammer
07-15-2008, 07:34 PM
I've setup a full install of the server, with fbdaemon2 to monitor it remotely, all seem to go well, the maps are loading, and since i only have one test map it is always the same that loads, that i am satisfied. The only problem is I can't connect to my game on my flying computer. The fbdeamon is able to connect to the server game properly from my flying computer, so the server and fbdaemon see each other. But i can't connect myself to the game. I always get a timeout. IL2 1946 dont see any game on the lan so the game is running on the server but no one can play it. All ports necessary are forwarded to the server computer through a dlink dl 604 router. The gaming computer runs on XP Pro SP3, the server is on Windows advance server 2000, set up for application server (i need unregistered remote desktop access to it, since i wont use VNC software). They are not connected as a domain, but as a group. I host anything on that server, like a web site, and all work well very smoothly. But I can't connect to the server with IL2. Need some help.

deepo_HP
07-15-2008, 08:12 PM
there is quite a detailed description of the dedicated server and the tools for setting it up at
dedicated server tutorials (http://wiki.sturmovik.de/index.php?title=Dedicated_Server)
at 'wiki.sturmovik.de'!
although only in german...

SwarmHammer
07-16-2008, 11:19 AM
I missed some files, as the 204 repair kit and the 4.071 update. Will reinstall the server and i hope it will work.

OK the problem was that my Windows 2000 advance server seems not compatible with the server. It work on a Windows XP setup though.

Changed flying computer since then, so I will try to host a server and play the game on the same computer

AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
4 GB Kingston Value Ram DDR3 1333
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 socket Mobo
EVGA 9800 GTX+ vid card
2x500 GB WD Caviar Green HDDs
1X250 GB WD Caviar Blue HDD
Corsair TX 750 Watts PSU

As far as I know, it should run, my goal is to test missions that I create for our group dedicated server, with 4.09m and Zuti MDS 1.13 MOD