PDA

View Full Version : bf-110 ground attack

meagerdeth
11-15-2008, 11:31 PM
hey guys
i've just started flying the bf 110 in a campaign and i recently had a ground attack mission and i have no idea how to work out where or when to release the bombs. does anybody know of any good tutorials or have any tips?

meagerdeth
11-15-2008, 11:31 PM
hey guys
i've just started flying the bf 110 in a campaign and i recently had a ground attack mission and i have no idea how to work out where or when to release the bombs. does anybody know of any good tutorials or have any tips?

Codex1971
11-16-2008, 12:09 AM
I'm no expert, but I do enjoy flying the P-38 and Me-110 every now and then. The trick for me is to learn to breath and keep it straight for as long as possible.

I've learnt a lot from the articles and instructional videos at SimHQ.

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air.html

Check out IL-2 Series Training, you'll have a ball!

M_Gunz
11-16-2008, 04:42 AM
Make a practice mission where it is just you and targets without other distractions.
Record your efforts onto tracks. Later playback will allow you to see sight picture and results.
Be sure that if the plane is not flying straight when bomb dropped you'll never figure out
just how far the thing will be off.

Billy_DeLyon
11-16-2008, 02:47 PM
A rule of thumb which seems to work pretty well is simply to fly straight at the target, as if strafing, then release bombs just a split-second after the target disappears under nose.

Of course, if there is AAA around you will have to make a curving approach, straightening out only at the last second just before releasing bombs, then resume jinking as you leave the target area.

Entertaining and instructional videos & tracks on this subject and others can be found on Dart's (highly recommended) page: http://www.darts-page.com/

TS_Sancho
11-16-2008, 03:16 PM
I second the highly recomended part concerning Darts tutorials.Educational and entertaining in a handy .WMP format.

general_kalle
11-17-2008, 07:27 AM
i usually make a shallow dive..40-45 degrees then i aim slightly above the target, about 1 and a half nogde on the german gunsight. when im just around 200 meters (i can jugde from my convergence)i drop and pullout.

Sturm_Williger
11-17-2008, 07:46 AM
I fly the 110 a fair bit on WarClouds doing ground pounding and (as Billy stated above) I normally fly straight and level at an alt of 10-20m, fully zoomed in on the sight. As soon as the targets disappear from sight under the gunsight, I pickle the bombs and 9 / 10 hit them.

I'll see if I can dig up a couple of tracks from the last few days. It takes practice and if your alt or speed is off, you will drop long or short. Luckily the 110 is a bit of a truck, so speed tends not to vary much when flying level for any length of time.

Always recommend killing the flak first though, the 30mm cannons in the nose are particularly good for that, so invariably loadout for Ground Pounding is 2xMk108 30mm cannon & 2xSC500. In a campaign of course, you may not have this loadout available, then you'll have to make do with whatever you're given.

dirkpit7
11-17-2008, 08:27 AM
In the book by Johannes Kaufmann, who flew Bf 110s in the Eastern Front, he tells that the 110s used dive-bombing technique. They dived and released their bombs in a 70-degree angle. After they dropped the bombs they made low level strafing attacks upon the target.

I haven't tried this in IL-2 but it might be worth trying. According to Kaufmann this dive-bombing method was very accurate. It probably needs some practicing though.