PDA

View Full Version : solomon bases question

splitter1952
02-08-2007, 04:42 PM
hi,
Are the following bases coming or in the pipeline for our jolly rogers,black sheep squadrons,IJA and IJN units??
Munda
Vella Lavella
Ondonga
Buna
Buka
Cape gloucester
Rabaul
Kahili

Tater-SW-
02-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Buna is on the Papua (NG) map.

The rest don't exist and won't due to poor decision making.

<runs away>

tater

stansdds
02-09-2007, 04:11 AM
We have begged, pleaded, and even offered money for some sort of Solomon Islands map, but it's not Europe and it's not going to happen.

splitter1952
02-09-2007, 04:26 AM
incredible!!!corsairs etc.and historicaly nowhere to fly out from !!!

VPF_Jetdoc
02-09-2007, 06:52 AM
quote:
I am worried about it becoming slightly harder to avoid those few "Ameriwhiners":

I am so sorry that us few Americans have to be called "Ameriwhiners" I for one am Proud to be American, if it was not for the Americans coming to the aid to alot of Allies before we entered the War and suppied men,equipment,planes,ships and tons of raw material. I guess no one remenbers that but you are quick to kick us in teeth with comments like that.

The Slot has always been needed but we will not see it because this is European based sim.
Take stroll thru hyper lobby there just as many
Pacific Commands as well European and yet we still do not have the maps or planes we should have.
You will see wonder planes that never flew yippe.

PropJoe_187
02-10-2007, 01:27 PM
It's not whining, 'Ameriwhining' or otherwise, to simply want the airbases and the islands that were actually fought over to be represented in the sim, is it???

It's only "whining" to the apologists, and those who are incapable of anything resembling critical thought.

VFS-214_Hawk
02-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Very sad, very sad in deed! An Oleg true Pacific would be awesome. Its just a shame that Oleg can care less about the Pacific Theater. The only reason we have what we have now is due to Luther. The PTO was his baby but I guess it phased out before being completely finished.

Art-J
02-11-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm a European, who had never seen a Pacific Ocean, USA or Japan in my life. But being an all-time enthusiast of PTO, I'd like to see a more PTO maps just as You do, so if that makes me "Ameriwhinner", count me in then http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Sadly, I don't think it's going to happen though, not in this sim anyway. WWII aviation is not enough "jazzy" theme for game producers and publishers to pump more time and money into a project which is nearly already dead and doesn't guarantee sufficient $$ income. Oleg is focused on BoB now, RRG guys are working on Korea (I presume), so I wouldn't count on more PTO stuff. We would need code/tools release to 3rd party modellers for that.

Cheers - Art

MiamiEagle
02-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Let me tell you something. You do not have to be from a certain nationility or from a certain area of the World to be interested in a Theater of war. All you need is to be is a member of the Human race and intersted in World war two or any other subject.

Other wise I would no be interested in the Roman Impire nor in the Napolian era. You see I"am not a Italian nor a Frenchmen.

As for the Solomon the only Sim that has the complete Solomon map and its airbases is Combat Simulator 2. You need to know how to upgrade this Sim in order for you to appreciate its full potential.

You can still fly IL2 46 in those areas that it dose cover in the Pacific if you want. Thats what I do.

MiamiEagle.

JG54_Lukas
02-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by splitter1952:
incredible!!!corsairs etc.and historicaly nowhere to fly out from !!!

Okinawa, Iwo Jima, Kyushu?

FritzGryphon
02-14-2007, 07:47 AM
The game could have all maps but one, and someone would demand the map that isn't there.

The game could have all planes but one, and there'd be someone to take offense to the omission of that one (bonus points for saying the omission is racially motivated).

The game could have all maps and all planes, and someone would decry the lack of horses.

There could be absolutely everything included... and someone would demand a WWI sim.

splitter1952
02-14-2007, 12:35 PM
the game requires at least the first post if not 3 times as much to be historicaly correct

Tater-SW-
02-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
The game could have all maps but one, and someone would demand the map that isn't there.

The game could have all planes but one, and there'd be someone to take offense to the omission of that one (bonus points for saying the omission is racially motivated).

The game could have all maps and all planes, and someone would decry the lack of horses.

There could be absolutely everything included... and someone would demand a WWI sim.

While I don't disagree that people would complain of missing maps, the lack of the Slot, or at least some map where there was combat over an extended period of time, with air bases for both sides on the same map is a gross failure of project management. Given the plane choices made, etc, clearly PF should have not wasted time on some maps in favor of something like the entire Slot---particularly since done right, New Guinea or the Slot should be fairly easy as maps go (most of the roads, bridges, and rivers on the NG map should never have been placed, frankly). Why? They should have few villages, fewer large towns (Port Moresby and Rabaul were both huge towns (for the region) with populations of ~2000 people). I'm pretty confident that 99% of the roads on the NG map, and virtually all of the bridges shouldn't be there at all for the period of the early 40s. The Kokoda trail was just that, a TRAIL. A single file walking path, not a multi hundred yard clearing with a road. It should have been represented by a string of smallest possible open spaces in the forest, a few with vilalges, nothing more.

I throw out "easy" because in a post about map making Ian had said that some of the most demanding stuff with map making was getting the roads, etc right for AI. Outside of a few miles of road in and around Port Moresby, that entire region should have ZERO roads and zero RR tracks. Perhaps a half dozen (including NG, AND the Slot) bridges.

It won't happen, but it really was a shame they blew it on the Slot since the Slot (and Papua/New Guinea, for that matter) are absolutely fairly simple maps done right---islands almost totally covered with forest right to the edge of the beach (even overhaning the sea in many areas). The only clearings are a few mountaintops, the odd space on the coast for a native village, and open bits for airfield placement where they were historically (ideally grass with no buildings so builders can add them as needed).

tater

splitter1952
02-17-2007, 01:06 AM
if cfs2 has them all by default and third party add ons why cant it be done here? whats the big deal !!! any third party can do it, base, jungle and a couple of trails and rivers, whats the fuss?!!

-HH-Quazi
02-17-2007, 03:26 AM
if cfs2 has them all by default and third party add ons why cant it be done here? whats the big deal !!! any third party can do it, base, jungle and a couple of trails and rivers, whats the fuss?!! Ooohhh. A real newbie. HEHE You haven't been here long enough to have read or participated in threads concerning the code of this sim eh? Well, it is like this.....it is locked. And will continue to be locked. Although Oleg did mention allowing, a very long time ago I might add, a few, "certain", third party modelers to perhaps, "maybe", some day be given the the correct tools to be able to make a map here & there, "only", to be submitted to him & "approved" by him before inclusion into this sim in any way, shape, or form. Just the way it is.

splitter1952
02-17-2007, 05:31 AM
those approved modelers have'nt done one map which resembles any of the places anyway so just give us their "standard" places bare and we do the rest.

stansdds
02-17-2007, 06:41 AM
The map making tools are in Russian and are reported to be extremely difficult to use, so it's not easy to make a map.

splitter1952
02-17-2007, 09:21 PM
If that is going to be the case with the SOW series then what chance has the pacific add on got in the future of getting a complete map of the whole area like cfs2?

VW-IceFire
02-17-2007, 10:41 PM
If that is going to be the case with the SOW series then what chance has the pacific add on got in the future of getting a complete map of the whole area like cfs2?
Loading a whole area like CFS2 did...or any of the Flight Simulators did...works a bit differently. You only load a bit and it loads new sections as you move through the game world. IL-2 didn't use this method...there's probably a good reason why but I have no idea. There are usually serious tradeoffs one way or another when talking about things like this.

Getting the Solomons or Rabaul would be great for Pacific Fighters type scenarios...I'm not sure if that is a possibility in the future. The current series might live on in some fashion but that'll depend on all the agreements that are in place and such. We do want to maintain the cheat free nature of the online world...so that in my mind is of the most importance.

Storm of War will apparently have its own fully developed world builder so if you do have an inkling of putting together maps then it will be possible and even officially integrated later.

csThor
02-17-2007, 11:47 PM
IIRC the map building tool of SoW will be limited to making "Online style" maps (= the "real deal" is solely in the hands of Maddox Games). So I think making areas like the Slot may be impossible.

stansdds
02-18-2007, 07:24 AM
If offline maps will be made only by Maddox, then a full set of Pacific maps probably won't happen as Oleg has very little interest in the Pacific theater. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif