PDA

View Full Version : Authors can be inspired

rudidlo
01-07-2005, 12:46 AM
A great campaign, historical missions, transfers, relocation, plane replacements during campaign (based on historical facts), plane paint schemes, famous Aces, possibility to escape from prisoner camp, News titles after succesful missions etc. Is it all forgotten?

Red Baron (http://www.abandonia.com/game.php?ID=309&genre=simulation)

BSS_Goat
01-07-2005, 09:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rudidlo:
Is it all forgotten? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love PF but you are right, it seems graphics is what everyone wants. Oh and also online play.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif
BTW I love online play and graphics myself, but miss the immersion of a good campaign.

Blackdog5555
01-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Ditto..Red Baron and Aces of the Pacific captured some of that. CFS2 at least tried. What these games, and others, lacked in FM they made up in immersion. I am hopeful that these things are being addressed. Cheers

_54th_Target
01-07-2005, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Ditto..Red Baron and Aces of the Pacific captured some of that. CFS2 at least tried. What these games, and others, lacked in FM they made up in immersion. I am hopeful that these things are being addressed. Cheers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back in those days, There was no way I could fly online. The community as it exists now didnt exist. It really came into being with CFS1 and then CFS2. Even then there were only a couple of hundred people online in those games.

Then programs like Ventrilo, Roger Wilco, Battlecom and Teamspeak showed up. Allowing talk between a pilot and his squad, wingman, etc added a whole new dimension to the game. Suddenly, the offline campaign lost its allure (for me at least).

The ability to fly with and against real people from all over the world and to communicate with them was incredible. I know many of the younger generation take this for granted but they never went through the initial problems that we had with a lot of these programs.

Facing down an opposing pilot while trying to cover my six at the same time was a challenge. Now I had to watch my wingman's six and he had to watch mine. Landing a damaged aircraft after a tough fight and all those white-knuckled, sweaty-handed things that we did, that was where the immersion came from. By comparison, the campaigns felt tame and relaxing...LOL.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that sitting in front of a PC monitor and watching pixels move across it is not reality BUT when you factor in the game, what it looks like, what it does to you and what it feels like, that is immersion. The more that the game can draw you in and cause you to get involved, the more you feel that it is real.

_54th_Target

J_Weaver
01-07-2005, 05:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rudidlo:
A great campaign, historical missions, transfers, relocation, plane replacements during campaign (based on historical facts), plane paint schemes, famous Aces, possibility to escape from prisoner camp, News titles after succesful missions etc. Is it all forgotten?

http://www.abandonia.com/game.php?ID=309&genre=simulation <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly yes it is. IMO Red Baron had the most immersive campaigns that I've ever played. Although the flight models were not the best it had a human feel to it that few if any other games have been able to capture. I love PF and the whole IL2 series but it seems very sterile to me. I hope that Oleg takes the lessons from this series and lessons from the classic sims like Red Baron and put it all together in BoB.