PDA

View Full Version : poison help

gothpunkboy89
01-20-2011, 03:41 PM
i haven't really used poison since i unlocked it. after seeing so many people getting bat crazy scores using it i have figured why the heck not. but i seem to have a problem using it. namely it says i'm not close enough. but how close is close enough

i was playing a manhunt game i was literally touching his shoulder against mine. i turn towards him and hit poison only for it to say i'm not close enough. i was close enough for my characher to kiss the other one and yet it said i wasn't close enough.

i wish my web cam was working record a few so i can be pointed out exactly what i'm doing wrong. so how close is it needed. i know poison lacks the massive range of the assassinate button and you have to be right next to him but does my character have to be perfectly against the target to use it or what.

zain_mastron
01-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Sounds like you had were suffering from lag or a glitch, because touching your target should be close enough.

A good judge of distance is if you are close enough to press O to push people aside, that would be close enough to administer poison.

gothpunkboy89
01-20-2011, 04:08 PM
i think it was glitched or something because there were two of us and he literally stunned me turned stunned the other guy i got up he stunned me again and then stunned the other guy again only stopping when a third player ran up towards him.

getting a double stun is one thing but standing still and getting two of them he is either the best player in the game or something was up. i was even locked onto him and the kill button no worked. and he stunned me.

HiTs4rMaBonG
01-20-2011, 04:11 PM
That, or you had the wrong target. Alas, yes, you have to be within your players' arm distance.

m4tt3198
01-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Ditto what zain_mastron said. I've found that sometimes it just won't work for half a session, or so. It usually starts working again at some point, but often I'll just abandon it for the rest of that session.

Also, you have to be facing your target. I can't count how many times I've wasted poison by brushing my target with my shoulder and poisoning the NPC standing next to him/her. Of course, I was looking right at them, but my character wasn't. "Contract Lost" Doh! Try locking if you think you can get away with it.

gothpunkboy89
01-20-2011, 04:29 PM
i have been hitting or missing with the poison. so its been hard to get a gauge of it but usually its fine as long as i'm within a certain range but game to game it seems like the range changes on me. most likely that is lag though. i made sure to turn and face him but still said out of range.

m4tt3198
01-20-2011, 04:36 PM
"i made sure to turn and face him but still said out of range."

Yeah, that's usually when I abandon it for at least a couple of respawns.

Crumplecorn
01-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Because the range is so short, any bit of lag at all will break poison.

VampiricGranny
01-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Just assume that the range is extremely close.
Because it is.

If you manage to poison them from an arms reach, it was lag working in your favour.

najzere
01-20-2011, 08:54 PM
I gave up on Poison because of the abysmal success rate in applying it. Not only did I miss out on a bunch of kills, but sitting there tapping the button with nothing happening was the cause of 99% of my stuns. Since ditching it I've been getting much better scores, which is sad, because I really liked poisoning people at the rare times it worked.

obliviondoll
01-21-2011, 01:13 AM
Yeah... you can get away with the "not looking directly at them" thing if you're locked on. Still need to have less than 90 degrees from directly in front, and still have to be in "gentle push" reach.

Can administer poison casually as you're walking past someone behind - it's a good way to get away with the poison and not get stunned, if you can make yourself look like a random NPC - or lock onto your target as they're approaching, then step out of your blend group to put yourself in their path as they pass - usually this gets you stunned, but also lands the poison.

SilentBobBMFJ
01-21-2011, 02:37 AM
What happens if your target you're approaching is mashing stun, while you're mashing poison? Can you even mash the poison button like that, or does it give you like a 1 second cooldown after you hit it from too far away? I imagine that poison won't work if your target is winding up his stun, unlike a normal kill, and that you're screwed, therefor poison is useless if your target is trying to stun you, even in a blatant way.