PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion For Ongoing Starforce Debate

ILikePortillos
10-27-2005, 08:48 AM
I have a quick little suggestion to try and help out those involved with the Starforce debate. I recently posted to an ongoing debate and was chastised for sticking my nose into something I didn't know much about. I apologize for that, as it's true. So what I'm proposing is a step towards finding a solution, rather than simply hurling insults.

It seems to me that those who are rightfully angry with what the software has done to their machines have been very vocal about attacking the software. This is understandable. But I just feel they're less likely to get an answer that way. Who wants to help you out when you say "your software sucks. . .it broke my machine. . .fix it!" A valid point this may be, it likely won't get anything done.

How about this. . .someone start two threads. Title the first "Works with Starforce" and title the second "Doesn't work with Starforce." Then ask people to simply post their specs. This software doesn't "decide" which machines it wants to affect. It's a program, that works on a machine. If an effort is made into trying to determine what the affected machines have in common, it may promote solutions. And if you go back to the vendor and say "we've found your software has issues, and this is what we think is the cause," you're more likely to see a response. If you can point out their weak spots, you may get them to develop a solution.

It's just a suggestion, but it might direct more of the efforts and research into locating the problem and fixing it, rather than placing blame and flamming. I'm just trying to help here.

ILikePortillos
10-27-2005, 08:48 AM
I have a quick little suggestion to try and help out those involved with the Starforce debate. I recently posted to an ongoing debate and was chastised for sticking my nose into something I didn't know much about. I apologize for that, as it's true. So what I'm proposing is a step towards finding a solution, rather than simply hurling insults.

It seems to me that those who are rightfully angry with what the software has done to their machines have been very vocal about attacking the software. This is understandable. But I just feel they're less likely to get an answer that way. Who wants to help you out when you say "your software sucks. . .it broke my machine. . .fix it!" A valid point this may be, it likely won't get anything done.

How about this. . .someone start two threads. Title the first "Works with Starforce" and title the second "Doesn't work with Starforce." Then ask people to simply post their specs. This software doesn't "decide" which machines it wants to affect. It's a program, that works on a machine. If an effort is made into trying to determine what the affected machines have in common, it may promote solutions. And if you go back to the vendor and say "we've found your software has issues, and this is what we think is the cause," you're more likely to see a response. If you can point out their weak spots, you may get them to develop a solution.

It's just a suggestion, but it might direct more of the efforts and research into locating the problem and fixing it, rather than placing blame and flamming. I'm just trying to help here.

Soulcommander
10-27-2005, 10:58 AM
EDITED
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ILikePortillos:
I have a quick little suggestion to try and help out those involved with the Starforce debate. I recently posted to an ongoing debate and was chastised for sticking my nose into something I didn't know much about. I apologize for that, as it's true. So what I'm proposing is a step towards finding a solution, rather than simply hurling insults. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hello sir...
First off. I want to say there is no room here for insults. If you are insulted let me know and I will see to it that someone takes care of that.

Second...
We get no where buy saying the game sucks etc. But you have to realize not everyone that comes here is 46 years old. And they are frustrated and don't conduct themselves the way we would all like.

Thirdly.. The SF debate as you call it...I would not consider it a debate. I am here to alert people what is going on and what is happening and to help also.

I worked from 10am to 3am yesterday on this forum and another, plus phone calls in regards to SF. All for free. Why? Because I was raised that way I guess. To fight and educate for those that have no Idea what to do.

Ponder on this phrase a bit:

"An effort made for the happiness of others lifts us above ourselves"

So I don't like to call this a debate. What is "is" If it hasnt happened to you it doesn't discount its happened to others.

I tried to get that point accross over at SUBSIM&gt;COM forum yesterday as the moderator was hammering on me fro proof that Starforce is to blame. When I told him he has all the proof right here on his forum and others forums he continued to hammer me.
He is German I am German...He lives In Germany I am a decendent of the German people living in the USA...I said to him:
Do you also discount that the Nazis killed the Jews? (Meaning do you need proof of that too)
He closed the thread, looking for an excuse to silence a good post....It helped alot of people. And many now are angry at him.
Anyway life goes on...

So there is no debate. What there is...is what is UBI and other publishers going to do for copy protection next?

What is UBI and other publishers going to do for the people that have been hurt by Starforce protection?

Will the gaming companies be hurt by all of this?

Thanks for your post. PM me anytime if you have a question or something you want to talk about in private.

SC

ILikePortillos
10-27-2005, 11:11 AM
That's cool. Just trying to help. But what do you think about my idea regarding the specs? I mean, it has to be a technical issue, right? If one machine is affected and another is not, I would think that there has to be some sort of conflict of software or hardware somewhere. There has to be some aspect of a users system that allows for the malfunction. I'm not suggesting the user's system is at fault. Obviously the fault lies in the software. But if the flaw can be detected, that would be the beginning of a solution, right?

Soulcommander
10-27-2005, 01:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ILikePortillos:
That's cool. Just trying to help. But what do you think about my idea regarding the specs? I mean, it has to be a technical issue, right? If one machine is affected and another is not, I would think that there has to be some sort of conflict of software or hardware somewhere. There has to be some aspect of a users system that allows for the malfunction. I'm not suggesting the user's system is at fault. Obviously the fault lies in the software. But if the flaw can be detected, that would be the beginning of a solution, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true if we could find someone to conduct such test this would be helpful.

So I can tell you that Mr Aaron McKenna who wrote the article about "The War on Video Game Piracy" has asked the Toms Hardware folks to see if they can do some testing. So lets hope they will.

As far as system specs,I agree it could be certain drives etc...There was a list that was started but it went to the wayside. I didnt start it but someone on another forum did. What happened to it I don't know. Maybe someone does??????

But yes you have a good idea...
If you want to start it and moderate it I would say do it!!