PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new comp for SH3

Evil-Fokker
03-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Im getting it custom built. I want a PCI-E and a AVG slot and money is not to much of an issue. Any ideas on the components?

Evil-Fokker
03-17-2005, 04:13 PM
Please I need help so I can play it ASAP

Evil-Fokker
03-18-2005, 09:44 AM
B
U
M
P

Spells BUMP http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

archer49d
03-18-2005, 09:55 AM
P4 3.0E (cheap + effective)
ASUS motherboard
512 DDR400 (don't need more... just because you have 4 gigs of RAM doesn't mean things run faster than with 512, it just means you'll have a lot of unused RAM)
Radeon x800 PE PCI-E (though I heard that people with x800s had some problems with the game, I am unsure)

HDD doesn't really matter, 7200RPM min
DVD+-RW (my personal preference)

bigbrooklynlou
03-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Interesting question.

What affects the games performance most.

The speed of the chip.
The mother board.
The amount of Memory (500MB or 1gig)
The model of the graphics card
The memory of the graphics card.

The reason I ask is that I too am looking to buy/config a gaming PC and I want to know where to splurge and where I can safely cut back on and upgrade later. Those that have gaming PC's please chime in with your experiences.

MoZirry
03-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Well since money isn't an issue, you will probably be buying it from a retailer.
Ideally, you will want either a high end Athlon 64 FX processor or a Pentium 4 HT processor.
For Video: Look for Radeon x800 series or Geforce 6800 series, both are excellent but Geforce 6800 seems to be the fastest (check anandtech.com) Also go for the PCI-Express versions.
For Ram= GO WITH 1 GIG, anyone who tells you 512 is just silly, but never go over 1 gig because your computer will not utilize that much ram. Generally, with the fastest computer money can buy, it will be either ddr400 or ddr2 400 ram, look for quality brands like Corsair or Kingston.
For HDD: I say go with whatever space you need, and dont worry too much about raid because that will not increase performance.
MONITOR: get a big CRT monitor, they look better and cost much cheaper than the new flatscreen monitors.
Motherboard: Anything from ASUS or A=bit will do great, there are also other great brand motherboards out there.
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, nuff' said.
Speakers: Logitech z-series are awsome, look for THX certified sound in a 5.1 format
CD/DVD/Roms: Heh, dont worry about this, most people go with Lite-on, a cheap and reliable brand. These have nothign to do with performance.

conclusion: As i said before, sounds like you will be buying from a vendor anyway. Falcon Northwest produces the fastest PC's, period. Alienware is also up there in quality gaming rigs. Just be prepared to shell out 3,000 to 5,000 dollars.

My advice: Unless you are mr. moneytree, look into building it yourself, you could make a very capable gaming beast in the $1,500 dollar range.

BinaryFalcon
03-18-2005, 02:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
512 DDR400 (don't need more... just because you have 4 gigs of RAM doesn't mean things run faster than with 512, it just means you'll have a lot of unused RAM) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is incorrect.

512MB was advisable 2 years ago. Now it is the bare minimum, especially if you run Windows XP.

1GB is now "standard", but if you're building new I would now suggest 1.5 - 2 GB.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>but never go over 1 gig because your computer will not utilize that much ram. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I agree with the rest, this part is also not true. There are programs and games out now that will benefit from having 2GB of RAM. Pacific Fighters does, and so does World of Warcraft, if you're into that sort of game.

I'm not certain if SH3 benefits from it, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

At the very least it will give you a lot more "headroom" with respect to any additional processes you may have running at the same time. It's absolutely trivial for me to ALT TAB back and forth between something like SH3 or Pacific Fighters while running Photoshop or other memory intensive application. There's no lag or performance hit while doing so.

In general, you can never have too much RAM - unless you're running some version of Win9x, at which point anything over 512MB isn't going to work well.

DrReaper
03-18-2005, 03:44 PM
P4 3.0 or better

1GB Ram 333Mhz or Better

ATI or Nvidia videocard (I have a 6800 Nivida)

And get 7.1 Surround sound on the speakers and on the computer!

Evil-Fokker
03-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Ok thanks for all the help so far guys, at the moment I'm just looking through all the diffrent configs on the net using the suggestions you all provided

Tomcat41
03-18-2005, 04:17 PM
get an AMD 64 processor.

by far the best CPUs out there for games... beat Intel completely!

and the advice of only taking 512 mb RAM is borderline insane. get at least 1 gig.

Evil-Fokker
03-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Is this ok?

Intel Celeron 345 (3.06 ghz)
1024 mb DDR400 pc 3200
Geforce 2800 (PCI-E)
ASUS motherboard (2 PCI slots 1 PCI express)