PDA

View Full Version : What is the operation altitude for a stuka?

Afromike1
12-19-2009, 07:43 PM
This can be for in the game or for real life. What altitude is perfect for a dive bombing in a stuka? I want to find an altitude that is high enough to perform a good dive bomb but wont take forever to reach since I will be carrying heavy bombs.

Another question, what tips would you give for dive bombing? I just tend to cut throttle and roll over when I think the target is below me. The bad side of this is that I can never predict exactly if I'm over the target or not (yes I know there's the glass at the bottom but that still doesn't work for me).

Romanator21
12-20-2009, 12:36 AM
5000 meters is a maximum I would say. Anywhere between 2000 and 4000 meters is optimum. Higher gives you more time to adjust your aim, but makes it more difficult to spot targets.

I also reduce throttle and roll over. I leave prop-pitch at 100% however to help slow me down further, in addition to the air brakes.

Spotting a target through the window is not the easiest thing to do. I look for the target by flying adjacent to where I think it should be, and I look out of the corner and side windows. When I see a suitable target, I slowly turn towards it, making a mental picture of it as it passes under the cowling, and I try to keep centered over it. Depending on how far away I was when I spotted the target, I will within a minute or so, begin my attack, regardless of whether or not I see it in the floor window. Once I'm flipped over and diving, I can usually find it again, and adjust the dive accordingly. The Stuka does not need a perfect 90 degree dive, but anything less will require you to pull up slightly just before releasing the payload which can be tricky and requires practice.

Waldo.Pepper
12-20-2009, 01:44 AM
I reality matters at all to any of us ...

Paul-Werner Hozzel a German World War II Luftwaffe Stuka pilot and first Stuka pilot to be awarded the coveted Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross.

"Early in the morning of 3 September the weather was clear. Forty minutes after our take-off for the first attack we found ourselves above the target at an altitude of 4000 meters. We nosedived, then released the bombs at altitudes between 700 and 500 meters for better bombing accuracy. We were over level 20 country without any ground obstructions."

From - Conversations with a Stuka Pilot.

An excellent read!

Open source document available freely here ...

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/Ge...=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf (http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA164063&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf)

Page 19 of the same document present an idealized theoretical attack plan of a Stuka.

JG52Uther
12-20-2009, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Romanator21:
5000 meters is a maximum I would say. Anywhere between 2000 and 4000 meters is optimum. Higher gives you more time to adjust your aim, but makes it more difficult to spot targets.

I also reduce throttle and roll over. I leave prop-pitch at 100% however to help slow me down further, in addition to the air brakes.

Spotting a target through the window is not the easiest thing to do. I look for the target by flying adjacent to where I think it should be, and I look out of the corner and side windows. When I see a suitable target, I slowly turn towards it, making a mental picture of it as it passes under the cowling, and I try to keep centered over it. Depending on how far away I was when I spotted the target, I will within a minute or so, begin my attack, regardless of whether or not I see it in the floor window. Once I'm flipped over and diving, I can usually find it again, and adjust the dive accordingly. The Stuka does not need a perfect 90 degree dive, but anything less will require you to pull up slightly just before releasing the payload which can be tricky and requires practice.
Thisis what we do,but use 0% PP in the dive.

Freiwillige
12-20-2009, 12:32 PM
I have always heard that 100% PP is the way to go as it acts as another form of airbrake. Real Stuka pilots did the same.

K_Freddie
12-20-2009, 02:29 PM
The game is close to reality..
- With the big bomb (the one that obstructs your view) i have difficulty getting above 3.5K..
- With a 500Kg + small bombs time to 4.5K is around 45 minutes, and it's an effort to get higher.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Afromike1
12-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by K_Freddie:
The game is close to reality..
- With the big bomb (the one that obstructs your view) i have difficulty getting above 3.5K..
- With a 500Kg + small bombs time to 4.5K is around 45 minutes, and it's an effort to get higher.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

oh my goodness I know what you mean! It takes so long to reach the point to finally release the bombs that I get SOOO bored. Makes me want to get in my 109 and do some quick aerial maneuvers to kill some time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif .